The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tried DR Sunbeam Strings For The First Time (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143893)

catdaddy 01-12-2009 09:09 PM

Tried DR Sunbeam Strings For The First Time

In large part due to the reviews of people on this forum whose opinions I respect I decided to put a set of DR Sunbeam 12's on my D2H. I've been a devotee of John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights for a long time but I found that the Sunbeams decrease the stiffness that was characteristic of the Pearse strings on this guitar so its playability has improved via easier fretting and note bending. I also noticed that the Sunbeams are holding pitch better than the JP's, the overtones seem to blend better and the tone has a smoothness to it versus a louder more cutting sound that the JP's produced. Overall for the D2H with the improved playability and excellent tone I think I'll probably switch to the DR Sunbeams.

I also put a set of DR Sunbeam 13's on my J-15. The results were not so impressive as with the Collings. Perhaps due to the Martin's all mahogany construction the Sunbeams seemed a little too mellow. A nice tone but for this guitar I like the cut that the John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings impart to the sound. This is a guitar that needs a bit of an edge and I think the JP's are a better fit. And by the way the Sunbeam 13's do seem to have the same playability on this guitar as JP 12's which is what I'll go back to on the next string change.

Glennwillow 01-12-2009 09:52 PM

Catdaddy,

Interesting comments. I put DR Sunbeam 13's on my '68 Martin D-35, which is RW/spruce and they worked really well. My wife, who has exceptionally good ears, commented that it was like having a new guitar, a different tone. I also put a set on my Gibson AJ and also on my Taylor GS8. Both sounded very good; both are Rosewood/Spruce.

However, I can see the effect of these slightly mellow DR Sunbeam strings on your Mahagony J-15. My wife has an all-mahagony Gibson LG-0 and it really needs bright strings.

Glad they worked for your Collings. I can't remember who clued me in on DR Sunbeams on this forum, maybe Rich from Addison, TX. Either way, they are a good find for the right guitar.

Regards, Glenn

Michael T 01-12-2009 10:22 PM

I'm a fan of the Sunnys also. I've done the buy a bunch of brands, record them fresh and at a pre-determined change interval and compare at a later date thing. They are a bit mellower out of the box than my 2nd choice out of those tests (Martin SP) but recorded better at the change (25 hrs). The playability and sustain that holds in tune have me captured for now. I use them on my rosewood dread and my mahogany 12 string and I'm very pleased with them on both.

I do have to admidt if the Curt Managan's I've tried recently were as comfortable I would likely switch, they too have a similar sustain and are brighter but are considerably stiffer. I am surprised with the Sunbeam lifespan too, they hold up very well for a non-coated string. I usually change strings about 25/30 hours (about once a month), for general clean up and out of habit, and I can't say they need changing at that point. Very nice strings.

I can see your point with your J-15, not all guitars respond alike, I guess that's why it seems like an endless quest, but relatively cheap entertainment too.

ewalling 01-13-2009 07:08 AM

Iīve just received some DR Sunbeams, 12'54s, for the first time to put on my handbuilt Hullah. On hearing these experiences, itīll be interesting how they sound because this is a guitar of cedar and mahogany which has thus far benefited from bright strings. It may sound too muted. A ver...

mojito 01-21-2009 09:16 AM

I had to order some new strings last week and just put my first set of Sunbeams on my Taylor 614CE last night. They sounded pretty good, tonight is band rehearsal so I'll get ample opportunity to check them out, so far so good though!

Jrocker 01-21-2009 09:32 AM

I have noticed that they do sound great on Spruce/Rosewood guit's as well. I was also surprised at how long they last.

rmyAddison 01-21-2009 11:32 AM

The Sunbeams to me fall in the middle tonewise, not too bright and not too dark, all my Martins wear 13's.

While I like them on my one hog, D-18GE, it has an Adi top and I could see an all hog guitar maybe needing a brighter string like Martin SP's or maybe DR Rares.

dbankjr 11-15-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrocker (Post 1721532)
I have noticed that they do sound great on Spruce/Rosewood guit's as well. I was also surprised at how long they last.

Ok you guys have convinced me. After all the talk ive heard about Sunbeams I bought a couple packs...we will see what theyre like on my new Yamaha LL16D..engleman/rosewood, anc Im going to put a set on my son's Alverez...hopeully they wont be dull, as I purchased them before I read those statements. I have heard a of of good things about them too tho....so I aint a sceered

Broadus 11-15-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbankjr (Post 4715404)
Ok you guys have convinced me. After all the talk ive heard about Sunbeams I bought a couple packs...we will see what theyre like on my new Yamaha LL16D..engleman/rosewood, anc Im going to put a set on my son's Alverez...hopeully they wont be dull, as I purchased them before I read those statements. I have heard a of of good things about them too tho....so I aint a sceered

Hope they work for you.

I can't recall seeing the resurrection of an almost seven-year-old thread. :)

westman 11-15-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadus (Post 4715653)
Hope they work for you.

I can't recall seeing the resurrection of an almost seven-year-old thread. :)

:D
I think we generally accept that DR make good strings by now.

TBman 11-15-2015 03:52 PM

Spooky thread. I just recently put 12s on my Martin and Guild, lol.