The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Takamine Lawsuit Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62267)

Neil K Walk 10-05-2009 09:31 AM

I have a all-laminate F360 which is essentially a D-28 clone with cheaper materials. It's seen better days so I can't comment on its quaity other than I guess its good since it's held up for 35 years without a neck reset -though it could use one. I opted to put a block and tackle inside (reinforced the neck with a block under the fretboard extension and put a JLD Bridge Doctor under the bridge plate) and now it sounds like a low-end Breedlove. It was never very loud though and the original tuners weren't that good. Like I said though, it hasn't had the easiest life. I still like to play it every day and don't mind if my kids knock it over.

Oridiun 10-05-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korby (Post 1979492)
My first good guitar I bought new ,1977 Brazilian Takamine .

Wow, that's a beaut, how about a frontal :)

Oridiun 10-05-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwakatak (Post 1979495)
I have a all-laminate F360 which is essentially a D-28 clone with cheaper materials. It's seen better days so I can't comment on its quaity other than I guess its good since it's held up for 35 years without a neck reset -though it could use one. I opted to put a block and tackle inside (reinforced the neck with a block under the fretboard extension and put a JLD Bridge Doctor under the bridge plate) and now it sounds like a low-end Breedlove. It was never very loud though and the original tuners weren't that good. Like I said though, it hasn't had the easiest life. I still like to play it every day and don't mind if my kids knock it over.

Wow... mine has been sitting in a closet the last 20 years no work, etc.

Wonder if I might opt for something like this when i have the pickup installed...

korby 10-05-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oridiun (Post 1979547)
Wow, that's a beaut, how about a frontal :)

I gave it to my son and he sold it for triple what I paid for it new to pay for another guitar . It was so loud my ears would ring after playing it .
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...orby/001-1.jpg

Oridiun 10-05-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korby (Post 1979574)
I gave it to my son and he sold it for triple what I paid for it new to pay for another guitar . It was so loud my ears would ring after playing it

If my son sold a guitar I gave him like that I'd beat his

:P

But i digress... I gotta get some strings for this baby soon.

brian a. 10-05-2009 04:29 PM

As stated above: if there is an S suffix it has a solid top. Such as F-312S. As far as I know, they all had laminated b/s.

The date is usually stamped on one of the top braces. Look inside the sound hole at the edges of the top braces for the date. Also, the model number should be stamped inside on the back center seam brace. There should also another stamp that is also a copy of the Martin center seam stamp.

Once you find the model number you can look up info on the Takamine site on their archive/discontinued model pages.

drexler 10-05-2009 08:57 PM

On the Takamines that have the headstock decal that looks like a Martin decal from 10 feet away if you find the serial no. usually on the battery case mounted on the neckblock, the first 2 numbers are the year the second two numbers the month the third 2 numbers are the day of the month the last 2 numbers indicate the order in which it was made, 33 would be the 33rd guitar made that day. I believe as a general rule that is accurate. I buy every one I can find, yard sales etc. if they are cheap enough as they are easy sells, people seem to like them. I did keep a 12 string, an es385s I bought at a Guitar Center sidewalk sale for cheap a couple of years ago because it sounds good plugged in, tinny unplugged but it was an 82 and was like new and is fun to have around.

Neil K Walk 10-05-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oridiun (Post 1979559)
Wow... mine has been sitting in a closet the last 20 years no work, etc.

Wonder if I might opt for something like this when i have the pickup installed...

I guess it depends upon how much you're willing to spend. I got mine as a gift when it was 18 years old. Prior to that it had spent at least one year in a hot south Florida attic. I took it with me to college where it was not properly cared for. Then after I graduated it sat in a closet with the same strings on it at full tension for about 5 years or so.

What I can tell you though is that if you do get it worked on you might be surprised at how alive it might sound. Mine certainly seemed to enjoy being played again.

Oridiun 10-06-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwakatak (Post 1980218)
I guess it depends upon how much you're willing to spend. I got mine as a gift when it was 18 years old. Prior to that it had spent at least one year in a hot south Florida attic. I took it with me to college where it was not properly cared for. Then after I graduated it sat in a closet with the same strings on it at full tension for about 5 years or so.

What I can tell you though is that if you do get it worked on you might be surprised at how alive it might sound. Mine certainly seemed to enjoy being played again.

It sounds pretty good right now, and the only thing i can find "wrong" with it is there is a bit of a bulge right behind the bridge/saddle, but i thought that was normal for a 12 string...

The guy told me to keep it tuned to D or D# standard unless i was playing it, or playing live....

other than that he just said i could slap a capo on at the first or second fret to achieve "normal" pitch...

I thought lowering and raising the pitch frequently on a guitar was bad, especially one as old as this?

I've kept it tuned to E since i bought it...

I know about the model number... mine was made august 13'th 1977

Folksinger66 04-01-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhawk (Post 738640)
The story is heard about the origin of the Martin copies is interesting:
Martin actually was working with Takamine to build these copies. They were going to be the Martin's Sigma line of guitars. Apparently, Martin even provided tooling for the guitars. Takamine was ready to produce these guitars for Martin when Kaman purchased Takamine. Martin decided they were not going to support Kaman by buying guitars from them so they canceled the contract and took Sigma to a different manufacturer. Takamine was ready to produce the guitars and simply changed the name on the headstock.

I can't say it is absolutely true, but I heard it from a very reliable friend.

Jack

Folksinger66 here. Takamine's web site shows the F360 and EF360, although marked
as Discontinued. They appear to be similar to the Martin "Lawsuit" guitars. By the way,
here's a bit more on Takamine:

reverb.com/news/a-brief-history-of-takamine-guitars

PAPADON 04-01-2020 04:35 PM

Japan really hit its guitar making stride in the early 70's and never looked back. Among Japanese Takamine fans the old 70's and 80's knock offs are legendary. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that. I've got a 1980 Japanese Sigma/Martin that is a killer as well.

80 Sigma/Martin D10 Anniversary Edition

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ot...A=w490-h640-no

Here's a clip of one
https://soundcloud.com/ibookmusic/the-claw

SkipII 04-01-2020 04:52 PM

Miss my lawsuit Tak

I had a 1982 F370SK (solid spruce top, koa back and sides.) It was a solid instrument, decent tone, but the back was laminated, so the koa was more eye candy than functioning as a true tone wood.

Bought it new on sale for $350. Sold it two months ago for ... $375!

Ramesses 04-02-2020 03:42 AM

I've got an old Guild Jumbo takamine. Its a beautiful guitar. The guild versions are somewhat rare. I've also had a couple of the Martins.