The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Recharging Planet Waves Humidipaks, dehumidify? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307425)

itscowfun 08-22-2013 06:10 AM

Recharging Planet Waves Humidipaks, dehumidify?

Hi all,

So I just moved to Virginia and it seems a bit humid here still (summer lingers). My room must be too humid because my bath towel is rarely dry, even after many hours, and the air is thick. At the moment I have a fan blowing out the window and the AC rather cool. I will be getting a new hygrometer today to help accurately measure the %.

As my guitar will be arriving today, I wanted to make sure it wasn't too humid in the room/case. I have ordered some Planet waves humidipaks and have read up on them and decided to recharge the paks myself in the winter when its drier (the tupperware/ziplock back and warm distilled water trick).

My question is, is the reverse recharge just as possible? As in, couldn't I put the paks in a tupperware and seal it in the larger tupperware with salt as to dry out the paks so they could soak up more moisture in the guitar case?

Just curious if anyone had a good way to recharge saturated PW humidipaks! Thank you!

Dogberry415 08-22-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itscowfun (Post 3593617)
Hi all,

So I just moved to Virginia and it seems a bit humid here still (summer lingers).

Of course summer lingers. It's still summer. :)

This is an interesting question. If what you describe is possible, I can see why the manufacturer wouldn't encourage it... sales of those lucrative replacement packs would plummet if people found out it was true. I suppose the best way to find out is to experiment. My guess is that no product on the market can possibly last indefinitely, but someone who pursues this idea could find a way to make Humidipaks last far longer.

Joseph Hanna 08-22-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogberry415 (Post 3593650)
Of course summer lingers. It's still summer. :)

This is an interesting question. If what you describe is possible, I can see why the manufacturer wouldn't encourage it... sales of those lucrative replacement packs would plummet if people found out it was true. I suppose the best way to find out is to experiment. My guess is that no product on the market can possibly last indefinitely, but someone who pursues this idea could find a way to make Humidipaks last far longer.

Fundamentally the humidipaks are miraculous especially for those of us who have extreme high and low humidity issues. They have unfortunately been a victim of a faulty first run which leaked. Also part and parcel in many of these discussions is the fact they don't last long enough. A simple reading of the instructions and warnings of the humidipak instructions sheds light on why they may or may not work in some given scenarios. Mostly about the humidipaks inability to work in cases that aren't adequately sealed. That was 2007. They've been rock solid since yet the wives tales and reports of continued failure have never ceased to dog a very viable product. In talking to Planet Wave it's clear that a whole bunch of the continued reports of catastrophic failure are due to misusing the product and have nothing to do with product failure.

I've got absolutely no problem with mad scientist experiments in an attempt to make any product last longer. More power to ya. What is however frustrating is these experiments turning into "Humidipaks still leak and they ruined my guitar" threads.

Diamond Dave 08-22-2013 08:29 AM

I think it's possible, but it's likely to take weeks or months. The packs absorb/release moisture slowly. (They can release more than they can absorb, which is why they're better for low RH environments).

It's humid here in Roanoke, too. Virginia has had an unusually wet year. It's going to stay humid until a) the weather pattern changes or b) it cools off, which won't be potentially until late September.

If your towel ain't drying with the AC on, you are going to have high humidity issues. Since you're a grad student with atyical college living arrangements, you might want to consider a dehumidifier from the Lowe's in Christiansburg. :)