The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What kind of guitar did Andy play on Andy Griffith? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119199)

darylcrisp 02-23-2008 07:05 PM

What kind of guitar did Andy play on Andy Griffith?

Girlfriend got me the whole 1st & 2nd season for my birthday(along with a Fender G-Dec 30) and Andy has the guitar quite a bit. It sorta appears to be a Martin?

And, did Andy actually play or was it all acting-it appears to be real playing along the lines of Travis style.

wondering
Daryl

ljguitar 02-23-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darylcrisp (Post 1394807)
Girlfriend got me the whole 1st & 2nd season for my birthday(along with a Fender G-Dec 30) and Andy has the guitar quite a bit. It sorta appears to be a Martin?

And, did Andy actually play or was it all acting-it appears to be real playing along the lines of Travis style.

wondering
Daryl

Hi Daryl...
Good eye - it's a Martin D-18.

bcaylor 02-23-2008 07:15 PM

Daryl,

Andy did indeed play a Martin and in fact Martin made an Andy Griffith signature model. It is not a current model, but here's a link:

http://www.mguitar.com/artists/display_artist.php?d=243

HHP 02-23-2008 07:40 PM

My favorite episode is the talent search where one of the groups playing on the show was the Kentucky Colonels with Clarence White. He is playing the 34 D-28 currently owned and used by Tony Rice.

12 string 02-23-2008 09:05 PM

And yes, Andy really plays. He has a music degree and worked as a high school music teacher before getting into show biz.

' Strang

yardism 02-23-2008 10:16 PM

He also has several gospel albums.

You may also like to know that the Darlings, the mountian, old time music band that appeared in several episodes were comprised of the band The Dilliards (along with Denver Pyle and the girl on the show). They were a great band.

Lewguitar 02-24-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yardism (Post 1394938)
He also has several gospel albums.

You may also like to know that the Darlings, the mountian, old time music band that appeared in several episodes were comprised of the band The Dilliards (along with Denver Pyle and the girl on the show). They were a great band.

Those were my favorite episodes and possibly my first exposure to Bluegrass.

"Dooley was a good old boy he lived up on the hill..."

I went out and bought that Dillards album when I was kid because I liked that song so much! Still have it. I think it was called Backporch Harmony or something like that.

Loved those shows with Ernest T Bass vs. the Darling family.

jackweasel 02-24-2008 01:25 PM

As a bony-fi'd member of the Mayberry Fan Club, I'm still amazed at Barney's singing voice. remember the episode when Barney was to do the solo at a choir competition and was so pitiful they had to get someone else to sing in the background for him? THen you have other episodes where he and Andy harmonize beautifully together. Don Knotts was a true actor and in his own right, a talented singer when the story line would allow.

Jeff M 02-24-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 1394837)
My favorite episode is the talent search where one of the groups playing on the show was the Kentucky Colonels with Clarence White. He is playing the 34 D-28 currently owned and used by Tony Rice.

Beat me to it!!

Folkstrum 02-27-2008 08:57 AM

Apparently, he was given a prop-guitar (all black or something) in another movie (may have been THAT D-18) that he had decided to keep, and my memory on this is vague, but may have sent it to Martin to get the paint off of it, and stripped down and finished au naturale. Maybe it wasn't the same guitar-but whatever the "prop" one was, he fell in love with its sound.

And for sure he plays. I am also a major-fan of Doug Dillard and the rest of the family. I "lived" for those episodes they were in-because they usually performed at LEAST two songs ("Dooley" being a staple!) and Doug was about the fastest 5-stringer on earth then (Bela Fleck and Tony Trischka had yet to be adults then). Doug has gone on to continue to tour, and play, and doesn't miss too many beats! Andy would often "sit in" with his clear pickguarded D-18 and play along. It was all legit.

Edit: here is the full story on that D-18-my memory wasn't as flawed as I thought. He DID rescue that guitar, and it's still his favorite. Can you imagine the cannon it's become in 50+ years!!!??? John D'Angelico personally restored that D-18! :eek:
http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAM...-Griffith.html

jwsamuel 02-27-2008 09:46 AM

Don't forget that Clarence White once played on the Andy Griffith Show.

Scoll down a bit for a photo:

Clarence White in Mayberry

Jim

GRW3 02-27-2008 09:50 AM

The move, A Face In The Crowd, appears on Turner Classic Movies every once in a while. It's pretty good but be warned - you will not like his character.

marl 02-27-2008 01:09 PM

Loved the Darlin episodes. The banjo break on the "there is a time for us to wander" song sends chills down my spine, and I normally don't like banjos. Another great episode is the one where the young hotshot local guitarist joins the pro touring band (Freddie Fleet and his Band with a Beat). Whoever was really playing guitar on that show (i.e."Careless Love") was tearin it up.

12 string 02-27-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRW3 (Post 1398396)
The move, A Face In The Crowd, appears on Turner Classic Movies every once in a while. It's pretty good but be warned - you will not like his character.

Brownie McGhee plays in the soundtrack and has a non-musical bit part.

For years and years Brownie played a D-18 given to him by Andy. Sadly, it was eventually stolen.

' Strang

mcphersonnut 02-27-2008 04:12 PM

D-18, that is one of my favorite shows..