The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fishman Loudbox Mini? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503199)

MrBJones 03-12-2018 10:28 AM

Fishman Loudbox Mini?

For some time, the Loudbox Mini was well regarded and often suggested as a good amp for an acoustic playing amateur. Is that still the case, or are there better options now? I play fingerstyle only. Have an electric that I play very rarely but, who knows, that might change some day.
Thanks

Athens 03-12-2018 10:51 AM

Mini

It's a great little amp and well regarded. I have one and even though it's only occasional use, I like it. Simple, versatile and LIGHT. :D

There are others out there but this seems to get the thumbs up.

lovgren 03-12-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBJones (Post 5666766)
For some time, the Loudbox Mini was well regarded and often suggested as a good amp for an acoustic playing amateur.

Absolutely. I suggest determining your intended use and needs, then assessing options. Unless you need something the Mini doesn't provide, the Mini is an excellent option. For a little over $300, how do you beat it?

Even if you outgrow it, you can always use it as a stage monitor, home amp, extremely portable amp for open mics, and so on.

Primary weakness, in my view, is the tolex / vinyl covering. So the $100 padded case is nearly a requirement to keep it from getting beat up in transport.

Wistah 03-12-2018 10:55 AM

I think its a compromise. Light and portable, good for small farmer's market style gigs. But it lacks low end, and the cheap brown tolex gets shredded in a hurry with frequent use.

MrErikJ 03-12-2018 10:55 AM

It's a solid little amp. I don't like using acoustic amps but it's handy for small coffeehouses and venues where there isn't a PA or decent monitoring. I've never had to dime it but I usually keep it around 1-2 o'clock and use the gain to manage the output of my guitar and my vocal mic and have sufficient power. As a whole, it works nice in a small setting, which is really what an acoustic amp is good for.

6L6 03-12-2018 11:23 AM

LOVE my Mini!

BahPa 03-12-2018 11:39 AM

Fishman Loudbox mini

I love mine. It does everything I need it to do. As far as the scuffs and scratches, maybe one should not abuse their gear and be more careful....

rokdog49 03-12-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrErikJ (Post 5666789)
It's a solid little amp. I don't like using acoustic amps but it's handy for small coffeehouses and venues where there isn't a PA or decent monitoring. I've never had to dime it but I usually keep it around 1-2 o'clock and use the gain to manage the output of my guitar and my vocal mic and have sufficient power. As a whole, it works nice in a small setting, which is really what an acoustic amp is good for.

If you use it for what is designed for, it has enough of everything... that would be rooms of around 25 or 30.
If I need more I'm going into a powered speaker with or without a mixer and use the Mini as a monitor. Perfect.

jpd 03-12-2018 12:21 PM

As has been stated....good little box, dependable, does what it's made to do. Two downsides...there is no headphone plug, and the *tolex* cover shreds over time..:guitar: One new wrinkle- the new models have battery power option!!!!!

Big Band Guitar 03-12-2018 12:49 PM

Good value

I use mine for both acoustic (lapel mike clipped to archtop tailpiece) and my ES175. loud enough for the 18 piece big band.

Chedeng88 03-12-2018 12:55 PM

Yes it's a lightweight and very dependable amp. It's perfect for my needs. I don't gig and just play in my guitar room and use it when I want to add some Reverb/Chorus.

Hotspur 03-12-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBJones (Post 5666766)
For some time, the Loudbox Mini was well regarded and often suggested as a good amp for an acoustic playing amateur. Is that still the case, or are there better options now? I play fingerstyle only. Have an electric that I play very rarely but, who knows, that might change some day.
Thanks

The Loudbox line is solid.

They're not the absolute best sound quality you can get, but they're a really great combination of good sound, high portability, and low price.

You're going to pay a lot more for a modest sound improvement.

leew3 03-12-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotspur (Post 5667053)
They're not the absolute best sound quality you can get, but they're a really great combination of good sound, high portability, and low price.

You're going to pay a lot more for a modest sound improvement.

This ^^^^ +2

lweb10 03-19-2018 04:33 PM

Has yet to fail me. I use it alone (vocal & guitar) for smaller or quieter groups and as a guitar amp with a four piece band. Last weekend I used it as a mixer and monitor with a larger system in a bigger room. Best usefulness for the money I’ve experienced. I gave up worrying about the cover - it’s very fragile and obviously an error on Fishman’s part, but it doesn’t make any difference in the sound or flexibility of the amp.

tdq 03-19-2018 05:18 PM

I have one, I use it frequently at home, very occasionally performing, and my daughter loves singing through it with a mic using the reverb. I do use my electric with it too, but I'm very much a clean signal kind of guy. I performed with a band for a little while, and although I still liked the sound it really didn't have enough oomph for a band setting.