The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   1.8 nut widths (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212438)

AcousticBuckeye 03-31-2011 08:27 PM

1.8 nut widths

I've been enjoying playing my Seagull Cedar Folk. I'm curious if there are any other guitar makers out there that are making 1.8" nut widths. It really is nice for fingerstyle and doubt I would want to go less now.

AB

Dotneck 03-31-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticBuckeye (Post 2567564)
I've been enjoying playing my Seagull Cedar Folk. I'm curious if there are any other guitar makers out there that are making 1.8" nut widths. It really is nice for fingerstyle and doubt I would want to go less now.AB

I think 1.8 is about the same as 1 13/16...not real common but they are out there. I have a Larrivee 00-70 that has 1 13/16 and I like it.

donh 03-31-2011 08:44 PM

My McCollum is 1.8125 and I consider that the ideal nut width.

My one Leach is a 1.75 nut with a 1.8125 (1-23/32) string spacing, and these two are my favourite acoustics to play :-)

Eric.Hope 03-31-2011 08:47 PM

I swear by them. I had a Washburn acoustic with a 1-11/16" nut width for something like 10 years, and wondered why I always had such a hard time playing it. Then I started playing classical guitars, as I started exploring more Latin styles, and discovered that the wider nut & neck worked for me in a way that the more narrow nut widths absolutely did not. Then, last year, I began a search for a steel string guitar with as wide a nut & string spacing as possible (the closest thing I could find to a classical with steel strings on it). I tried a few, and ended up with a Takamine ETN30C, which has a 1-7/8" nut width (which is even wider than 1.8"). It's awesome, and my fingers have never been happier! I also recently picked up a Recording King ROS-06, which has a 1-13/16" nut width (only a hair wider than your Seagull), and I'm loving that, too. It lets me know that I'm not completely hopeless, and can still play a steel-string acoustic! I just have to be picky about which ones I choose. Anyway, to answer your question, I think more & more guitar manufacturers are making guitars with wider nuts now, in response to the demand from fingerstyle players. Takamine, Recording King, Seagull, Martin... All of them manufacture guitars with wider nuts. Do check them out.

ljguitar 03-31-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticBuckeye (Post 2567564)
I've been enjoying playing my Seagull Cedar Folk. I'm curious if there are any other guitar makers out there that are making 1.8" nut widths. It really is nice for fingerstyle and doubt I would want to go less now.

AB

Hi AB…
The good news is that many makers build guitars with the same string spacing as the Seagull.

Your Seagull's nut width - though listed at 1.8'' - has the strings spaced exactly the same width at the nut as a standard 1.75'' guitar (1¾''). Most major manufacturers build some models with this spacing.

The strings of typical slightly wider equipped guitars are not spaced at 1.75'' or 1.8'' - it is the measure of the total width of the nut/fingerboard at the nut. But it is the string spacing that makes the difference, not how wide the fingerboard is.

The confusion is a result of them being manufactured in French Speaking (metric) Canada, and they convert the measurements from French and metric to decimals...for the English side of the website. On the French speaking side they are expressed in metrics.

I agree that this is a more comfortable string width for many of us who play fingerstyle guitar than 1 11/16'' (1.72'' converted from metric), and there are some who have guitars customized to even greater nut widths.

Another factor which impacts playability for the fretting hand for some players is whether the saddle is 2¼'' or 2 5/16'' or 2⅜''. The slightly wider 2⅜'' are wonderful for the picking/plucking hand.

Hope this helps...

darylcrisp 03-31-2011 08:55 PM

my Beneteau 00012C has 1 13/16" width at the nut and i love it-spoiled with it actually as now its the standard which other widths are judged for myself.
The neck profile i think is just as important and can go even further in making or breaking a "nut width" for myself. This Beneteau has what i would call a full D shape(full shoulders and almost a soft flat spot on the back middle-more like a Flamenco in the Hermanos brand).

Likewise my National NRP has a 1 13/16" width at the nut, but the neck profile is a very soft V-very unlike the modified V of Martin and the soft V of the Santa Cruz's i've played. I really enjoy this neck from National.

and to get more specific to your question about whats out there with that 1.8 neck, check this out........I definitely am..............

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...esmaster.aspx#

d

epaul 03-31-2011 09:14 PM

What LJ said.

I have had several Seagulls over the years, and they are fine guitars, but they do not have a wider than typical string spacing. Regardless of the nut measurement they list, the string spacing at the nut is the same as a 1 3/4" nut Martin, and the string spacing at the saddle is a strong sixteenth of an inch less.---Which is all fine. But it is not a wider than typical string spacing, as is so often claimed (due to the 1.8" written on their website).

What some Seagulls do have (not all) is a nice full neck, fuller than many of its competitors. And this, by itself, can be quite nice, especially those with larger hands. It used to be all Seagulls had the full neck, now it is all confused by multiple models, so check the specs, some gots fat necks, some skinny.

lennylux 04-01-2011 12:59 AM

Gibson Keb Mo Bluesmaster, small package, huge Gibson sound, 1.805 at the nut. Superb.

HudsDad 04-01-2011 08:26 AM

Yep, nothing magical about Seagull's 1.8" nut. I have three Seagulls and as stated above, the string spacing at the nut is the same as my 1.75" Larrivée L-03 and 1.75" Martin D-18GE.

cisco7 12-16-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennylux (Post 2567704)
Gibson Keb Mo Bluesmaster, small package, huge Gibson sound, 1.805 at the nut. Superb.

Quite agree with this one :)

chadrod 12-16-2014 09:26 AM

To me, this is the sweet spot for nut spacing.
I don't have particularly large hands or long fingers, so a 2" nut is out.
Any smaller and i get sloppy on finger picking.

Larry Pattis 12-16-2014 09:34 AM

I have seen a full 1/16" of E-to-E string-spacing difference on 1-3/4" nut-width guitars, between different makers of acoustic guitars.

Martin = 1-17/32"

Tippin = 1-16/32" (1-1/2") - the most common, that *I've* seen, from builder to builder.

Goodall = 1-15/32"

As I often say, string-spacing (at the nut *and* bridge) is quite important, because of course your fingers go to the strings (and not the overall nut width).

That said, the dimensions of the underlying fingerboard also have a lot to do with feel and playability, especially to where the E-strings lay (lie?) in regards to the edges of the fingerboard. This depends not just on the overall nut width and nut-spacing, but on the bridge string-spacing and the overall taper/geometry of the neck (12th fret overall width). Some people (like me) want particular E-to-E spacings (nut and bridge) with a lot of distance between the E-strings and the edges of the fingerboard, and this requires particular fingerboard dimensions. Others might prefer the exact opposite, that is, E-strings that are fairly close to the edges of the 'board. Personal choice.

Personally, I find it difficult to grasp when people simply talk about the nut-width or the nut spacing in regards to playability/feel/etc., and don't immediately also note the bridge -spacing and the overall width of the neck/board at the 12th fret.

Judson 12-16-2014 09:36 AM

Even though as others have stated, the Seagull string spacing is no wider on their 1.8 inch nut width than most guitars with a nut width of 1.75, I still like the fact that the Seagull gives you a "smidge" of extra room outside the E strings that is not present on 1.75 inch necks.

Larry Pattis 12-16-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judson (Post 4269901)
Even though as others have stated, the Seagull string spacing is no wider on their 1.8 inch nut width than most guitars with a nut width of 1.75, I still like the fact that the Seagull gives you a "smidge" of extra room outside the E strings that is not present on 1.75 inch necks.

Try also measuring the E-to-E bridge spacing, the 12th fret overall fingerboard width, and then ponder the full set of numbers...

philjs 12-16-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 2567583)
I agree that this is a more comfortable string width for many of us who play fingerstyle guitar than 1 11/16'' (1.72'' converted from metric), and there are some who have guitars customized to even greater nut widths.

A minor correction: 1 and 11/16" = 1.6875" (or 1.69" to 2 decimal places).

Here's a quick reference (rounded to 2 decimal places) of the most common nut widths and their metric equivalents:

43mm = 1.69" = 1 and 11/16"
44mm = 1.73" = 1 and 3/4" (approx., 3/4" = 1.75")
45mm = 1.77" = 1 and 25/32"
46mm = 1.81" = 1 and 13/16"
47mm = 1.85" = 1 and 27/32"
48mm = 1.89" = 1 and 7/8" (approx., 7/8" = 0.875")

Phil