The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   martin or Bedell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198648)

abobby 11-06-2010 06:46 AM

martin or Bedell

I am getting ready to purchase. It is between 2 models Bedell TB-28-G or
a Martin D16RGT.
Does anyone have any thoughts on which one?
Thanks

DenverSteve 11-06-2010 07:50 AM

I've never heard of Bedell so I can't (and wouldn't anyway) advise. I believe you need to play both and buy the one that fits your needs best. Even if one is head-and-shoulders above the other, in someone's view, your needs, wants and desires for a guitar have to be met for you to be happy. Let us know what you decide. Welcome to the group.

jlwoodall 11-06-2010 08:17 AM

I'm getting a bedell next week and will be posting a review shortly after. Maybe it will be of some help. Mine will be the 18 and not the 28 though.

Jon

ErikH 11-06-2010 08:44 AM

With the price being in the same range I would tend to lean towards purchasing an American made Guitar. The Martin will also retain it's resale value much better than the imported Chinese made Bedell. Good luck though, having such choices to make is always a fun process!

DenverSteve 11-06-2010 08:49 AM

After trying to get some information on Bedell, I agree that the Martin is going to be a better decision for long-term and likely short-term value as well. Bedell doesn't give much information on their site and they haven't (it appears) been making guitars since 1964 either.

bojisrx 11-06-2010 01:20 PM

IF YOU are going to buy a bedell. BY THE WAY! i was there beginning luthier... THey are all built in china... The martin is a better built guitar... But if you want a bedell the best sounding one by far is the TB-24-G cedar top way more bass and power....

Tunes 11-06-2010 01:31 PM

yep go for the Martin. 127 of guitar design and maufacture. you cant really go wrong.

Jeff M 11-06-2010 01:45 PM

I'd take a good Martin over a bad Bedell.
Or a good Bedell over a bad Martin.
If both are good...take the one that you think sounds and plays best when you try them out. Same if both are bad.

If buying "blind"......

.Chinese guitar builder of the month whom I've never heard of vs. a company that has built over 1 million guitars, been building for 175 years, and is the "archetype" Steel String guitar manufacturer.

Hmmmm.

I think I'd go with the Martin.

*Merlin* 11-06-2010 02:24 PM

I just got a secondhand D-16RGT and I love it. I'm sure they make some good guitars in China. I have an Alvarez that was made in China and I like the way it sounds. I had it set up and bone nut\saddle put on it. Nice guitar but when I wanted to upgrade I went with a Martin.

deja 11-06-2010 02:37 PM

Since I know a little more about Bedell today than I did a few days ago (Google is a wonderful thing), I'll chime in. First, Bedell is not what it appears to be in my estimation. They don't necessarily misrepresent themselves on their website or in their ads, but if the information you have is based solely from visiting the Bedell website, you could easily get the impression that they've been around since 1964 and that their guitars are American made, neither of which is true. Second, This says nothing of course about the quality of their guitars but it does say something about the company. With Martin and many other guitar manufacturers, what you see is what you get. I would stick with the what you see is what you get brands.

Side Man 11-06-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deja (Post 2399301)
\With Martin and many other guitar manufacturers, what you see is what you get. I would stick with the what you see is what you get brands.

What deja said... give Bedell credit for spending tons of cash in an attempt to buy some credibility but then again, they had tons of cash to get their guitar business going (google will I'm sure enlighten you further).;)

Jeff M 11-06-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Side Man (Post 2399347)
What deja said... give Bedell credit for spending tons of cash in an attempt to buy some credibility but then again, they had tons of cash to get their guitar business going (google will I'm sure enlighten you further).;)

That's one way to earn years of reputation. Buy it !!

Placida 11-06-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abobby (Post 2398898)
I am getting ready to purchase. It is between 2 models Bedell TB-28-G or
a Martin D16RGT.
Does anyone have any thoughts on which one?

Slide on over to the Unofficial Bedell Guitar Forum and inquire ..... :D

Tony Burns 11-06-2010 08:18 PM

one simple word " Martin"

epaul 11-06-2010 08:30 PM

I can't believe the two guitars are anywhere near the same price. I know what Martin 16s cost. The Bedall should be half.