The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Opinions on Martin DM...? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148281)

skiltrip 03-03-2009 09:18 AM

Opinions on Martin DM...?

What's everyone's thoughts on the Martin DM?

I'm considering picking up a Martin Dread, of course the D-28 is an object of desire, but that's not gonna happen. I was reading a few places that some folks have called the DM the poor man's D-28. I know titles like that should be taken with a grain of salt, but I just I just thought it was be helpful to hear some people's opinion of the DM. Thanks!

kip

Placida 03-03-2009 09:26 AM

The Martin DM certainly is not a poor man's D-28; the D-28 is a rosewood dread, the DM is a laminated mahogany dread. Two totally different sounding guitars. Built different too.

That said, the DM is a great sounding, low-cost Martin that, for the money will make you proud. I've played a few at GC, and know people who own a DM. They love the guitar.

flip33 03-03-2009 09:29 AM

Hello,

I really like the DM. Several of them have sounded good to me in the stores. I wanted to try a D-28, so I got one. The DM is still great in my book. It competes well with the Larrivee D-03. I have a Larrivee L-03 that sounds good to me. It has its own flavor and so does the DM. I would be happy switching my L-03 for a DM, except that my L-03 is fine.

You would do well with a DM :) It has a nice growl in the bass notes.

rmyAddison 03-03-2009 09:59 AM

Personally, I am not a fan of laminates other than beater guitars. Just me, but I would get a used all wood Martin before buying a new laminate. Nothing sounds like wood but...wood. :)

skiltrip 03-03-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyAddison (Post 1767529)
Personally, I am not a fan of laminates other than beater guitars. Just me, but I would get a used all wood Martin before buying a new laminate. Nothing sounds like wood but...wood. :)

I agree on the wood thing. That's why I got the 000-15.

What's Martin's lowest price all wood dread, other than the D-15?

jwsamuel 03-03-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiltrip (Post 1767535)

Without mentioning prices, if you go to the Musician's Friend Web site and search on "Martin Custom D," "Martin DSM" or "Martin DSR" you'll see some good choices.

The Custom D is available in either rosewood or mahogany. The DSM is the same as the DM but with solid wood back and sides, and the DSR is the same as the DSM but with rosewood.

Also, check for the same guitars on music123.com or guitarcenter.com. They sometimes have different prices.

Here are links:

Custom D Mahogany

Custom D Rosewood

Martin DSM

Martin DSR

I just checked music123.com and the Custom D guitars are less money there than Musician's Friend, even though they are the same company.

Jim

skiltrip 03-03-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwsamuel (Post 1767549)
Without mentioning prices, if you go to the Musician's Friend Web site and search on "Martin Custom D," "Martin DSM" or "Martin DSR" you'll see some good choices.

The Custom D is available in either rosewood or mahogany. The DSM is the same as the DM but with solid wood back and sides, and the DSR is the same as the DSM but with rosewood.

Also, check for the same guitars on music123.com or guitarcenter.com. They sometimes have different prices.

Here are links:

Custom D Mahogany

Custom D Rosewood

Martin DSM

Martin DSR

I just checked music123.com and the Custom D guitars are less money there than Musician's Friend, even though they are the same company.

Jim

Thanks Jim. That opens things up a bit. The DSR and Custom D look especially good.

Eugenius 03-03-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiltrip (Post 1767564)
Thanks Jim. That opens things up a bit. The DSR and Custom D look especially good.

Have you played any of these models yet? If not I would recommend trying out a few before buying if you can. There is FIERCE competition in this price range with plenty of great options.

skiltrip 03-03-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugenius (Post 1767570)
Have you played any of these models yet? If not I would recommend trying out a few before buying if you can. There is FIERCE competition in this price range with plenty of great options.

No, but of course I'll get out there and play first before I buy (If I am able, wasn't able to do this with my 000-15 because I could not find one in any music store, yet I've thrilled with that guitar).

I just want to know what I'm shooting at when I walk thru the doors of a music store.

If there are some really nicely priced competitive alternatives to the low-end yet solid wood martin dread range, please mention who and what they are! Thanks! ;)

kip

jwsamuel 03-03-2009 10:41 AM

The guitars I listed are available at Guitar Center stores as well and can be played there.

Jim

HD18JBGuy 03-03-2009 10:55 AM

I am a Martin guy, but try the Taylor 110. It has a solid wood top and sounds and plays great. It is in the same price range. Also, there are a few Epiphones in the same price range that are all wood and sound great as well.

If you are really woodin' (pun intended) for a Martin, I agree with everyone above and say look for an all wood used Martin. You can find them on Ebay, but you usually strike a better deal by finding one on your local Craigslist.

I will say, a Martin DM is a nice sounding, affordable guitar, but there are better options to be had for the same price range.

Eugenius 03-03-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiltrip (Post 1767573)
No, but of course I'll get out there and play first before I buy (If I am able, wasn't able to do this with my 000-15 because I could not find one in any music store, yet I've thrilled with that guitar).

I just want to know what I'm shooting at when I walk thru the doors of a music store.

If there are some really nicely priced competitive alternatives to the low-end yet solid wood martin dread range, please mention who and what they are! Thanks! ;)

kip

Ok in that same price range give or take a few hundred:

-Epiphone Masterbilts
-Larrivee 03 Series
-Used Martin's
-Stanford (not possible to get at this point I don't think)
-Blueridge
-Recording King
-Used Taylor's
-Eastman
-Guild GAD
-Higher end Seagull's
-Yamaha L Series

Most of these all all solid woods, nicely appointed for the same price. Lots of good options.

skiltrip 03-03-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugenius (Post 1767608)
Ok in that same price range give or take a few hundred:

-Epiphone Masterbilts
-Larrivee 03 Series
-Used Martin's
-Stanford (not possible to get at this point I don't think)
-Blueridge
-Recording King
-Used Taylor's
-Eastman
-Guild GAD
-Higher end Seagull's
-Yamaha L Series

Most of these all all solid woods, nicely appointed for the same price. Lots of good options.

I was looking at the Recording Kings on Trinity's site. Sparked my curiousity. I also emailed Jim about them. The RD-27 caught my eye. Seems like a great price or all solid wood if they actually play and sound nice.

Eugenius 03-03-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiltrip (Post 1767617)
I was looking at the Recording Kings on Trinity's site. Sparked my curiousity. I also emailed Jim about them. The RD-27 caught my eye. Seems like a great price or all solid wood if they actually play and sound nice.

A lot of them are Martin clones, most have different necks, nuts, detailing, etc so if you can play a large variety of these you'll definitely find something you really like.

BHulkster 03-03-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiltrip (Post 1767535)
I agree on the wood thing. That's why I got the 000-15.

The Custom D (Rosewood back/sides, or Mahogany back/sides) or the DSR with solid rosewood back/sides - which I have :)