The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin in Mexico (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117621)

jimbobpow13 02-05-2008 09:26 AM

Martin in Mexico

I heard Martin is starting to outsource and make some guitars in Mexico. Anyone know what models these are? Thanks.

korby 02-05-2008 09:35 AM

Probably none you would want .And its not new .The felix the cat ?

steve nm 02-05-2008 12:32 PM

I think they usually have an "M" in the seral number also

Mosspoh 02-05-2008 01:14 PM

There are a few of the lower ends I believe. Mine is a low end and it is still made in the usa though...one of the selling points for me.

JJEXP 02-05-2008 01:36 PM

I believe all except a few (d12x1 maybe) of the hpl guitars are made in Mexico. I know it's been discussed at length here though, or maybe that was at umgf

Gunny 02-05-2008 02:50 PM

Thankfully they are still made in Mexico! Won't be long before companies out source to 4th world countries. Eventually some guitars will be made in a remote village in Africa from Waki Waki bark and tribal spit! :D

HHP 02-05-2008 03:03 PM

Overall, I'd prefer the guitars go to Mexico versus the labor coming to Pennsylvannia. Have a Mexican made Telecaster that I would be hard pressed to find any fault with.

jackiebrown 02-05-2008 03:08 PM

Martin produces the Backpackers and roughly half of the X-series guitars in Mexico, along with cases and strings. There has been talk of producing the M-series in Mexico as well (DM, 000M, etc.). There has also been talk of moving the 15 series to Mexico, although nothing is certain about that.

For the X-series, the only way to tell whether a Martin has been made in Mexico is the label inside the guitar.

Gunny 02-05-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackiebrown (Post 1376091)
For the X-series, the only way to tell whether a Martin has been made in Mexico is the label inside the guitar.

I thought it was the button tucked upholstered back!:D

Made In Canada 02-05-2008 06:49 PM

I don't know if I'd be too concerend over the X series being made in Mexico.

For one, the price point on the X series seems like a good value based on the reviews I've read on various sites.

For two, Mexico isn't a stranger to guitar making. I would think Martin has a decent QC on the guitars made there and I also think the labor force making them may be inclined to taking pride and putting effort in their work.

Fender has sure done a fabulous job with Mexican made electrics.

I don't see why anyone would worry more about a Mexican made guitar than one made in China.

That said, the X series seem far from traditional Martins, which does not mean they are not good guitars. It seems to me the Blueridge, Johnson/Recording King and Epi Masterbilts are more "Martin" than the X series and may offer a somewhat better value. I'd prefer more guitars being made in Mexico than China myself as I see the people of Mexico and Canada as more of our brothers and sisters. Although I do realize the percentage of everyday items we use that come from China.

There are good things to be said about the materials and labor used to make the X series. I'm not sure the same can be said for Blueridge. It's really not a negative thing and after owning my 000-15S for just a little while now, I'm considereing an 000X1 as a "beater". That said, I'm not anti MIC guitars and would even consider owning one, I'm just trying to say there is no reason to think that Mexico couldn't produce anything less or in fact better.

jimbobpow13 02-05-2008 07:33 PM

is the OOOCXE made in mexico?

jackiebrown 02-05-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobpow13 (Post 1376378)
is the OOOCXE made in mexico?

Good question; call Martin's customer service line to find out. I haven't seen any cutaways with a Made in Mexico label, however.