The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Desperado by Don Henley & Glenn Frey (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483041)

Glennwillow 09-15-2017 10:51 AM

Desperado by Don Henley & Glenn Frey (cover)

This is my cover of the Eagles' well known early song, "Desperado." The song is played on my Sheppard GA Ave Maria.

Thanks so much for listening! :)

- Glenn

larryjoh814 09-15-2017 02:39 PM

Thanks, Glenn,
I just heard the original while exercising on the elliptical yesterday, and decided to relearn it to add to the Eagles section of my iPad. That key is perfect, and I can follow your left hand a couple of times and I'll be golden.
Now I know why I always click on your Show and Tell tunes. Thank you again.
Larry

Glennwillow 09-15-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryjoh814 (Post 5477362)
Thanks, Glenn,
I just heard the original while exercising on the elliptical yesterday, and decided to relearn it to add to the Eagles section of my iPad. That key is perfect, and I can follow your left hand a couple of times and I'll be golden.
Now I know why I always click on your Show and Tell tunes. Thank you again.
Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad to read that my approach to this song has opened up some possibilities for you. Very cool! :) There are not very many people who can sing it at the pitch where Don Henley sang it; changing the key was certainly helpful for me. Hopefully, it will be helpful for you, too!

- Glenn

JoeCharter 09-15-2017 09:05 PM

That was an achingly beautiful rendition, Glenn. I love the expression in your phrasing -- and through the challenging parts you remained dead in tune.

"Desperado" is a beautiful song and your version does it justice.

Your guitar also sounds amazing -- very warm and well defined.

Glennwillow 09-15-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCharter (Post 5477698)
That was an achingly beautiful rendition, Glenn. I love the expression in your phrasing -- and through the challenging parts you remained dead in tune.

"Desperado" is a beautiful song and your version does it justice.

Your guitar also sounds amazing -- very warm and well defined.

Thank you so much for listening and commenting, Mau! I'm so very glad you enjoyed this.

I also agree that the Sheppard sounds wonderful. I am so very lucky to have had a chance to buy this from a fellow AGF-er. I think it may well be the best sounding guitar that I own.

Thanks so much, Mau!

- Glenn

superbitterdave 09-16-2017 12:24 AM

As expected - a fun,heartfelt and original take. Loved the liberties you took with the guitar while keeping it simple and haunting.

bickb 09-16-2017 06:00 AM

Really nice, Glenn! Some really nice ones lately ;) First Sting and now The Eagles :):) Keep it up.

Glennwillow 09-16-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbitterdave (Post 5477790)
As expected - a fun,heartfelt and original take. Loved the liberties you took with the guitar while keeping it simple and haunting.

Thank you Dave!

I'm very pleased that you like this! Yes, I did take some liberties with the guitar..., but then, that's what I like to do. :D ;)

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! :)

- Glenn

Glennwillow 09-16-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bickb (Post 5477875)
Really nice, Glenn! Some really nice ones lately ;) First Sting and now The Eagles :):) Keep it up.

Hi Rick,

Thank you! I have enjoyed the latest songs myself! It's good of you to be so observant! I'm really gratified that you liked this latest song from the Eagles. I have always liked this song, too, but I particularly liked the way Linda Ronstadt sang it many years ago.

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)

- Glenn

The Sower 09-16-2017 10:12 AM

Always great

Glenn,

So sorry it took me so long do discover your music. Always a great performance.

If I could only listen to two musicians, they would be you and Toby Walker. Your playing gives me regrets that I didn't stick with playing when I first picked up a guitar 60 years ago.

Keep the great tunes coming.

Rendall

Glennwillow 09-16-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sower (Post 5478094)
Glenn,

So sorry it took me so long do discover your music. Always a great performance.

If I could only listen to two musicians, they would be you and Toby Walker. Your playing gives me regrets that I didn't stick with playing when I first picked up a guitar 60 years ago.

Keep the great tunes coming.

Rendall

Hi Rendall,

What a very nice note! Thank you so much! :) And to be linked in the same sentence with Toby Walker is a huge compliment. Toby is totally amazing; I marvel every time I watch one of his videos!

I'm so glad you liked this and other performances I have done. I will keep trying! :)

- Glenn

Kerbie 09-17-2017 03:48 PM

That's beautiful, Glenn... very nice version of a lovely tune. Henley and Frey wrote some hits, didn't they? I remember Karen Carpenter doing a gorgeous version of that song too... maybe in the mid-70s.

I enjoyed it! And that Sheppard is very lyrical... or expressive.... just a wonderful sound. :)

Glennwillow 09-17-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5479330)
That's beautiful, Glenn... very nice version of a lovely tune. Henley and Frey wrote some hits, didn't they? I remember Karen Carpenter doing a gorgeous version of that song too... maybe in the mid-70s.

I enjoyed it! And that Sheppard is very lyrical... or expressive.... just a wonderful sound. :)

Thank you Kerbie! I sure appreciate your comments.

And yes, Henley and Frey wrote some terrific songs, and I think "Desperado" may be one of the very best. So many top singers have covered this song.

Also, I agree, the Sheppard is a beautiful looking and sounding guitar. It is very expressive!

Thanks so much for noticing this song!

- Glenn

B-Nads 09-17-2017 04:32 PM

Nicely done ;-)

Glennwillow 09-17-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Nads (Post 5479387)
Nicely done ;-)

Hi Brent!

Great to hear from you! Thank you for the support! Glad you thought that this came out okay! :)

- Glenn