The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Live mic suggestions (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495043)

rob2966 01-02-2018 01:55 PM

Live mic suggestions

Hey all,

While there are other threads on this topic I figured I would start a new one specific to my intended setup.

I am looking for a live mic for acoustic instruments: steel string guitar, nylon string guitar, uke, mando. The situation is either solo instrumental or duo with a singer, so, not a lot of stage volume to compete with.

I am not interested in any internal mic/PU options, I prefer to mic with something of good quality.

Given the number of different instruments I don't want to deal with swapping a mic like the DPA 4099G from instrument to instrument during a performance.

Obviously there will be a balance between sound quality and feedback rejection, but given the use-case (relatively quiet stage) I would like to try and get a great sound.

I may also use this mic in the studio; however, that wouldn't be its primary intent.

My general thinking is some kind of condensor, but, which one? So many options, but hoping my use-case description helps narrow down some options. At the moment, the two I am looking at most are....

Shure SM81
Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina

...but I am open to all suggestions. Of course, the challenge is how to try the different options without having to buy them. Might be some rental options available but that is a different problem :).

Later
Rob

NotValid 01-02-2018 04:27 PM

ETL Edwina just on the coolness factor alone. Mods can now close thread. :)

MiG50 01-02-2018 04:37 PM

SM81 would work really well for your application, compared to other mics of similar value. Covers the acoustic tonal spectrum very well, rugged and road-worthy, good cardioid pattern for targeting the instrument and rejecting bleed/feedback. They're pretty popular, so many engineers will be familiar with them and comfortable using them.

The Bard Rocks 01-02-2018 09:53 PM

instrument mikes

I use either an Audix i5 (usually) or sometimes a Rode m5. No complaints.

varmonter 01-03-2018 07:08 AM

i have a stereo pair of mxl 603s. very low
cost and great bang for the buck imho.
i have a sm81 as well and i think it's a better
quality mic as the 603 . but i think the 603
might be a little more feedback resistant.
i also have an at4040 (used about 300)
this is more of a one mic does all. like the
one mic bluegrass bands do.

Hobo_King 01-03-2018 12:18 PM

I've been using an Edwina live for my resonator for a year now and it has been great, can't say enough good things about it.

Vindellama 01-03-2018 07:33 PM

Don't go for the edwina...
All the money go for the looks while the actual electronics costs only 20 bucks.
I've asked people on youtube that recorded with edwina, and most of them stopped using them because they developed a lot of noise issues, probably due to the cheap chinese electronics.

Mking 01-06-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindellama (Post 5590864)
Don't go for the edwina...
All the money go for the looks while the actual electronics costs only 20 bucks.
I've asked people on youtube that recorded with edwina, and most of them stopped using them because they developed a lot of noise issues, probably due to the cheap chinese electronics.

Just curious, I don’t own an Edwina and I’ve never used one. How do you know the electronics are Chinese.

Hurricane Ramon 01-06-2018 11:22 PM

¿ What FX Unit Are You Using ?

¿ I'd like to know what's on stage with you for gear , like what you use for EQ/FX ?

There is a unique mic I just bought - it's in transit now and due next
Thursday . I bought a T.C. Helicon MP-76 made by Sennheiser for T.C.Helicon
http://www.bettermusic.com.au/media/.../tc-mp76-2.jpghttp://cdn-assets.tc-helicon.com/med....png?width=500
@1:40 sec :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luTH8c6q-6Y&t=32s<===<<- ¿ video won't post ?

It's a dynamic , built tough for the road , has internal shock mount(s) feed back
resistant /breath noise resistant and is built special for T.C. Helicon .

Can be used on the following T.C. MFX units :
  1. VoiceLive 3 & VL3X
  2. VoiceLive Touch 2
  3. Play Electric
  4. Play Acoustic
  5. VoiceLive Play
  6. VoiceSolo FX150

I didn't plan on getting it for the feed back - breath noise -or plosion
resistants , I got it because of the power it has to change
presets , trigger looping and trigger FX while I hold it in my hand while
blowing harp and or singing . And also because it frees me up from
having to stay in front of the pedal board and allows me to move
about on stage when I sing or blow harps as I trigger :
  1. Loop start/stop
  2. Preset change
  3. FX triggers on/off.
Being able to move over to the bass player , keyboard or drummer and feed
off each other to improvise is where I am coming from .

When I saw it's features of breath noise & feed back resistance , I thought of
the potential use with an 000 resonator , 000 acoustic nylon and steel stringed
dread guitar , ukulele , acoustic harmonicas . I was happy to know this mic also
addressed these issues as well as the others I mentioned .

EZ :

HR

varmonter 01-07-2018 09:10 AM

that mic looks interesting.. seems there is a lot
to break though. let us know what you think
after you use it for awhile.

Ed-in-Ohio 01-07-2018 09:54 AM

Try a Heil Dynamic

I'm a huge fan of Heil dymanic mics. My vox/harp mic is the Heil PR-22-UT, and I absolutely love it.

For live acoustic guitar micing on a quiet stage application, I'd recommend the Heil PR-35 (this mic is one of Neil Young's favorites for micing his acoustics in quiet, intimate situations).

troggg 01-07-2018 10:40 AM

Speaking of Edwina ... I'd be a lot more concerned with controlling feedback than the price of the Chinese capsule.

If you or someone you regularly play with or a sound man at a place you regularly play at know what you're doing, feedback is a non-issue and you will sound and look great. If you're new to the anti-feedback game, like I was, it's not a "no-brainer" in that department.

Interestingly enough, although I bought Edwina to be my live mic, that didn't really work out due to my inexperience; what has worked out is using her as a studio mic and as a practice mic through phones. You can really hear what you're playing and singing in such a setup and make appropriate corrections. Cause what Edwina's really, really good at is combining voices and guitars. This would be true if the capsule costs 20 dollars or 2000 dollars.

The other thing she's really, really good at is being just plain fun. When you have fun, you play better and you relax more. She reminds me of one of those mojo cheapo guitars like Harmony/Stella/Airline -- if you find yourself playing a good one, even though the sound isn't as technically advanced as a Lowden, for instance, you might very well enjoy playing the Stella more for certain songs than the Lowden.

Anyhow, whether you use her live or in the studio, she's a fun gal to have around!

Hurricane Ramon 01-08-2018 12:02 AM

Cutting Edge State Of The Art Stuff

Quote:

Originally Posted by varmonter (Post 5594924)
that mic looks interesting.. seems there is a lot
to break though. let us know what you think
after you use it for awhile.

Hello varmonter :

¿ Hows that snow there doing ya ?

Seems like this mic has been under the radar primarily because it's designed for T.C. Helicon units
and that kind of automatically stops most who don't have these units .

I was at first not really interested in it and at the same time I was . Since I blow harp too I was
thinking the T.C.H Switch 6 was the way to go with my Shure 520D going into the VL3X's guitar
input like I do usually through my 60 watt tube amp and then I see this MP-76 doing what I want
to do with a Switch 6 .

I thought and drew out a schematic to make a nano Switch to be mounted into the Shure 520D but
time restraints stopped that so I broke down and split the difference with a mic with 4 switches and is a
Low Hz XLR instead of the High Hz of the bullet mic , as opposed to T.C.H's Switch 3 for a guitar level input .

The ideal set up would be a totally wireless arrangement . I had a 1/4" Roland wireless system I slapped
up to the Shure 520D for wireless playing . It was lost - long story . With that wireless set up I had the
band start up the show and I'd walk in from outside already blowing with the crowd wondering where the
harp was coming from - walk the bar etcetera ...

For sure I'll post how this worked out - I hope it is everything I need and not a waste of time and $'s .

EZ :

HR

Tico 01-08-2018 01:06 AM

For regular gigs it's my workhorses, Shure Beta 58As which are just SM 58s, with a few spec upgrades.

For classy joints (where drunks are not stumbling around) I bring my beloved Sennheiser MD-441s IMO the finest dynamic mics ever made.
I bought mine new in Germany back in the 70s for around $250 IIRC, but today in the states a new one will set you back $899. :cry:
... Still, that's less than many people spend on their so-called "smart"phone, not even including a single monthly bill. :roll:
I don't have a smartphone, but I've enjoyed these 441s for 40+ years ... I think that's pretty smart. ;)

People love 441s ... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/revi...namic-mic.html

Sennheiser nailed the design back in 1966 and even today they are still made the same way in Germany.
They sound like high-end studio condensers.

Quite expensive, but with patience you may find them for sale, used at a reasonable price.

Br1ck 01-08-2018 01:55 AM

SM 81s are nice mics. I've had a pair for decades. I see them used for drum overheads a lot on video recordings.

I use them for mandolin and guitar in the studio and they are cheap enough to get a pair.