The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Taylor 422 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58427)

markt 01-31-2005 02:53 PM

Taylor 422

Hi all,
just a quick question for any taylor experts out there, I have a Taylor 422 I bought in Glasgow about 14 yrs ago, I didnt know much about it then and I still dont, though it sounds great!

I want to confirm what wood it is made out of, I think it is rosewood and cedar, as the top has quite an orange/red tinge to it and doesnt look like a pine top, does anybody know if this is a combination that was used by taylor.

cheers

LarryH in Texas 01-31-2005 03:49 PM

markt --

Does the label just say "422", or is there a letter after the number?

Mine is a 422R, which is rosewood and sitka spruce from 1997.

There were also 422M (maple).

You could also call Taylor Customer Service (or email them if you're not in the US) with the serial number and they should be able to give you the information you seek.

pollajak 01-31-2005 08:34 PM

Based on my early 90s catalog, 400 series Taylor was made of Mahogany/Spruce. :)

Bm7b5 01-31-2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollajak
Based on my early 90s catalog, 400 series Taylor was made of Mahogany/Spruce. :)

Except for the 422-R which is the x-12 with rosewood/spruce.

markt 02-01-2005 06:16 AM

Thanks Guys, It is a 422R, so its Rosewood / Spruce.

Mines dates from c1991-92. I am amazed at the colour of the top, it gets darker as time goes by, I didnt know you could get sitka spruce with such a reddish tinge, but there you go!

Bm7b5 02-02-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markt
Thanks Guys, It is a 422R, so its Rosewood / Spruce.

Mines dates from c1991-92. I am amazed at the colour of the top, it gets darker as time goes by, I didnt know you could get sitka spruce with such a reddish tinge, but there you go!

Because of the color of your top and the dates, I would say check your label.

The 422-R was 96/97 only.

Does it have a pinless bridge ?

cpmusic 02-02-2005 01:39 PM

Taylor changed their numbering on the "special" 400s a couple of times. Some have the 2 in the middle of the model number, some have a letter suffix for the wood (R=rosewod, e.g.) and some have both.

Markt, as far as I know all of the first-generation 400s had Sitka spruce tops. It's amazing how dark they can get, however. Some turn dark amber, and others have a reddish hue. It depends on how much exposure it's had to sunlight.

minnesotamoon 02-02-2005 11:46 PM

i love my 420, it has the rosewood back/sides. the top is really a different color than my 414. the thing is a canon though, too bad its kind of beat up [IMG]http://img18.exs.cx/img18/150/gradution0039mr.jpg[/IMG]

also you can see in mine the pinless bridge which i wonder why they ever got rid of, it is so much nicer than my bridge pinned taylor.

markt 02-03-2005 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bm7b5
Because of the color of your top and the dates, I would say check your label.

The 422-R was 96/97 only.

Does it have a pinless bridge ?

Youre correct, there is no R!, and it does have a pinless bridge (which I love), in fact it looks very much like the picture Minnesotamoon has posted, slighty darker and slightly less dinged (only slightly) and GC shape. :)

Thanks for all your help everybody

jeanmic 02-23-2005 11:49 AM

422R

I own a 422R myself; I have to say it is a very nice guitar. It was build in July 1996, it also has a pinless bridge which I like it too. I just had the top refinished with a gloss finish by a luthier that was recommended by Taylor and it looks great, nobody would be able to tell if they wouldn't know it's been refinished. I had a LR Bagg Element active pickup installed which I like too, the only thing I wasn't sure about is the amplifier I just bought last November, I got myself a Fender Acoustasonic Junior which I know it doesn't have a good rep here on this forum but I couldn’t never understand why....

This being said, the 422R is a very nice guitar and I agree with you all.

Cheers... :D :D :D

Charlies3 02-24-2005 08:37 AM

As another 422-R owner, I have to say that I love this guitar. I bought mine used off ebay and doubt that I will ever let it go. The sitka top is darkening and it has an understated elegance that makes it almost seem like a "vintage" guitar. The pinless bridge is ebony and makes chaning strings a breeze. Sure it has a plain jane shape but it sure is functional. Great tone but not as much bottom end as my wife's 314-K but it is a small guitar afterall. My advice is to snatch one up if you see one.

jeanmic 02-24-2005 12:06 PM

Sorry it's not a 422R, It's a 420R LTD I have..