The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tape around the mics. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469095)

TBman 05-06-2017 10:27 AM

Tape around the mics.

Fun experiment. The tape takes out the trebles a lot it seems. I wrapped a AKG Perception 150 and a Rodes NT5 with tape around those vents at the tip.

No tape:

Tape version:

What this proves? Who knows :D

rick-slo 05-06-2017 11:08 AM

It settles the question about me ever loaning you one of my microphones.

TBman 05-06-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 5331345)
It settles the question about me ever loaning you one of my microphones.

:D:D:D

That made me chuckle, good one.

ChuckS 05-06-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5331290)
Fun experiment. The tape takes out the trebles a lot it seems. I wrapped a AKG Perception 150 and a Rodes NT5 with tape around those vents at the tip.

What this proves? Who knows :D

Those 'vents' are part of the microphone's design that gives it a directional polar pattern (i.e. cardioid, etc).

sdelsolray 05-06-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 5331492)
Those 'vents' are part of the microphone's design that gives it a directional polar pattern (i.e. cardioid, etc).

Yes. Covering them with tape will mess with the polar response of the mic.

ukejon 05-06-2017 07:29 PM

Fill the vents with Crazy Glue....far more effective.

KevWind 05-07-2017 07:53 AM

:up::up::up:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukejon (Post 5331882)
Fill the vents with Crazy Glue....far more effective.

We are an ingenious bunch :D
While I think experimentation is key to learning and ultimately great recording
I would definitely be disinclined to put tape on any of my mics just sounds so wrong to me ...... ?

Kerbie 05-07-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 5331492)

That's interesting... I didn't know that. Makes sense. I wonder how Roger Daltrey did it... he slung his mic around so hard, the roadies used duct tape all over it to keep it attached to its cable. Maybe the tape didn't reach up high enough to disrupt the polarity.

TBman 05-07-2017 09:13 AM

I kind of liked the taped sound better on my end, I did two more records that are on my soundcloud where I moved back a few feet from the mics.

I think the real answer is to move back from the mics. I may get a Zoom H? later on this year which would free me up a little regarding where I record and then maybe do something with movable panels.

sdelsolray 05-07-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5332420)
I kind of liked the taped sound better on my end, I did two more records that are on my soundcloud where I moved back a few feet from the mics.

I think the real answer is to move back from the mics. I may get a Zoom H? later on this year which would free me up a little regarding where I record and then maybe do something with movable panels.

Omni SD mic capsules do not have vents. Vents are found on cardioid and hypercardioid SD capsules. By putting tape on the vents you are beginning to approach an omni polar pattern but the thinness of the tape doesn't get you all the way there.

Rode sells omni capsules for the NT5, the NT45‑O. Perhaps you should consider getting of pair of the omni capsules and swap them with the cardioid capsules you already have. They just screw on and off of the mic amp body.

TBman 05-07-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdelsolray (Post 5333081)
Omni SD mic capsules do not have vents. Vents are found on cardioid and hypercardioid SD capsules. By putting tape on the vents you are beginning to approach an omni polar pattern but the thinness of the tape doesn't get you all the way there.

Rode sells omni capsules for the NT5, the NT45‑O. Perhaps you should consider getting of pair of the omni capsules and swap them with the cardioid capsules you already have. They just screw on and off of the mic amp body.

I was thinking of that, but I'd have to find the equivalent for my AKG mic. The capsule is $89 for the Rodes.

Duct tape is thicker than the tape I used and cheaper than $89, :D

rockabilly69 05-07-2017 10:28 PM

If it sounds good it is good!

MikeBmusic 05-08-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5332367)
That's interesting... I didn't know that. Makes sense. I wonder how Roger Daltrey did it... he slung his mic around so hard, the roadies used duct tape all over it to keep it attached to its cable. Maybe the tape didn't reach up high enough to disrupt the polarity.

The tape on Daltrey's mic was around the lower body, no where near the windscreen. Pretty sure he never used a condenser mic, either. Probably the bulletproof SM58.

LSemmens 05-08-2017 07:52 AM

If I am singing into a mike the duct tape had better be all over it! That includes the pointy end that you sing into. The poor audience would clear the house faster than if someone had let Pepé Le Pew loose in the place.