The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Roland EP-7II digital piano (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42591)

lovethemgeetars 03-10-2004 05:37 PM

Roland EP-7II digital piano

anybody have any experience with this digital piano? wanted to know how it rates in terms of feeling like a piano and sounding like one. i don't really need all the bells and whistles...just beginning and want to mess around. mostly looking for something that feels kinda like a piano and sounds like one and has a pedal. :)

kramster 03-10-2004 05:49 PM

I have many keyboards, but not that one. If you like the feel and sound and price then so be it. What do you want to spend?? What amp do you have or are you lookin' for a board with speakers in it?? More imput.

lovethemgeetars 03-10-2004 06:17 PM

i've never played this model so don't know what it's like.

in terms of what i want to spend, cheaper of course is better but max would be around $800 which means if i want to get one of the yamaha p series (p120 is what i've played) it'd have to be used. roland fp-3 was nice too but that would have to be used as well.

again, i'm not sure of what's exactly out there. i don't need all of this extra stuff which i'll probably never use...just want it to feel somewhat like a piano and sound like one. i liked yamaha's weighted key action for this. internal vs. external speakers...i have no preference. as long as it's not too pricey and sounds decent, i'm cool with it. my room is small so i don't need that much power. just looking for a bare bones digital piano...

i've been inspired by norah jones and brian mcknight lately. :)

franchelB 03-11-2004 08:06 AM

For my money, I'd go with Yamaha's P-60. While I like most of the Roland's patches, Yamaha's piano patch and feel is just better.

lovethemgeetars 03-11-2004 12:27 PM

best place to buy a P-60?

franchelB 03-11-2004 01:14 PM

I hate to admit this, but I think Musician's Fiend might be your best bet...

CDT 03-11-2004 01:39 PM

you'll find them online..

but the extra $200 for the p90 is well worth it..

the p60 only has one sample layer so the harder you play the louder that one sample gets..it sounds OK but nothing like the p90 or p120 (p90 with speakers)..imho.

the p90 and p120 have 3 sample layers and a release sample per key. this gives you dynamics control..

kramster 03-11-2004 05:58 PM

My best one is a P120. I like my GEM RP7 (no speakers) also. If you can find an old used Yamaha Clavinova, it might work. If you think you will play a lot then get the best you can. If you are not sure... get something at Guitar Center and return it within 30 days... or rent something a few months. Or borrow one. I have 3 keyboards loaned out now.

Life IS good.

bigsbee 03-12-2004 12:28 AM

I have an EP7 and it's a good keyboard for the money. Semi-weighted-not fully weighted real piano action. But very nice piano sounds and a few other voices(you can combine two at a time) that give you some creative juice.

Rugged,dependable,light, and cost-effective. I also use it now as a trigger for my proteus unit.

Bigsbee

912CE
MartinGT-75
Fernandes-melody-maker
Deering-6 string
Roland Fp-3
RolandEp7II
Ensoniq
Remo-kit
Etc

CDT 03-12-2004 11:00 AM

hey kramster...a couple of questions about your p120 if you have a second..

do you gig with the p120?

if so, how do you feel about it's durability?

and what amp/monitoring system do you use (other than the built-in speakers)?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally posted by kramster
My best one is a P120. I like my GEM RP7 (no speakers) also. If you can find an old used Yamaha Clavinova, it might work. If you think you will play a lot then get the best you can. If you are not sure... get something at Guitar Center and return it within 30 days... or rent something a few months. Or borrow one. I have 3 keyboards loaned out now.

Life IS good.

kramster 03-12-2004 12:08 PM

I bought it (P120) to gig with originally. I bought at the same time the Bose PAS Pa system and a Taylor 310ES too. (What the heck) When you run the P120 mono it sounds like crap because of the stereo sample going out of phase. Everything else sounds better than any other PA that I have ever heard. My neighbor just bought the powered EONS, but still wants to borrow my PAS. So until I get the second Bose or a mono sampled piano I use a GEM RP7 which sounds a lot better. It's 88 weighted also and is smaller and lighter. The P120 is a fine sounding and feeling piano for sure so I now use it mostly at home with my stack of other electronic toys.
Ask away..

CDT 03-13-2004 12:31 PM

hey, FYI...try running out of just one side( L or R) instead of summed mono...you'll like it a lot better..

kramster 03-13-2004 02:17 PM

Oh I tried. Left only, right only, both out to two imputs on the PA... to..keyboard amp....mixer....tried everything I could think of as well as some other guys on the Bose site. Some piano samples are set up to be stereo and that's it...Always somethin'. I'm just trying to avoid buying another PAS so soon. Got other toys to buy...

CDT 03-14-2004 01:18 PM

I hear 'ya...

good luck and thanks for the answers...

GMarp 05-30-2010 04:14 AM

roland piano

I've had one of those for years. The feel is good. It has a few different sounds which I like. I used it in a band for many years and it did the job just fine.