The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Question about bridge replacement (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502099)

cheesefries25 03-02-2018 12:09 PM

Question about bridge replacement

Hi, hoping for some advice since I couldn't find a previous thread and I suspect this situation is obscure :)

I wanted to practice learning setup / modification so I bought a used (and admittedly cheap) Washburn little Lyon 1/2 scale classical guitar (yes I have little hands and like little guitars lol)

The bridge needs to be replaced and I'm curious to know if it would be possible to replace the traditional classical bridge with a tailpiece style (like what you see on semihollow or archtops)?

The guitar has no truss rod so I guess I'm wondering if the tailpiece style bridge would put too much tension/strain on the neck?

I'm not an expert but it does seem like the intonation is off, especially compared to my 3/4 and full size steel string guitars.

So ultimately my goal is doing anything I can to improve the tone (that's economical) and would love some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Edgar Poe 03-02-2018 01:20 PM

I am not 100 % sure, but it seems the tailpiece bridge, would place less tension on the guitar than the standard position bridge would. The reason I feel that, is it would seem to distribute the tension over the entire length of the guitar rather than from the headstock to the center of the soundboard. In addition the bridge itself would be applying pressure to the soundboard opposite of the way it was originally. That may be however exactly why the arch top is arch topped. to make support fro the downward force of the tension on the bridge. The only drawback I can see would be if the tailpiece of the guitar is abnormally weak, as in a normal configuration of the guitar not a lot of the tension is transferred to the tailpiece.
I am by no means an expert on guitar tension distribution, it just seemed like the logical way the tension would distribute itself.
I woulds be very interested to hear a Luthiers opinion though.

Ed

arie 03-02-2018 03:56 PM

why does the bridge need to be replaced?

LouieAtienza 03-02-2018 04:43 PM

There's very little tension with classical strings, in relation to steel strings, so I doubt that a tailpiece would be any kind of improvement... unless the intention is to use steel strings on this guitar?

JonWint 03-02-2018 04:53 PM

Why does the bridge need to be replaced?

It's possible but it was designed for a glued-on bridge.

If you use the same strings, it will have the same tension on the neck. What would cause a change?

Is intonation actually incorrect?

If intonation is off then correct by moving saddle and/or bridge.

Or spend $45.22 and buy this one. Maybe it sounds better:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/George-Wash...item3d59a86108

murrmac123 03-02-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesefries25 (Post 5656946)
The bridge needs to be replaced

Quote:

Originally Posted by arie (Post 5657118)
why does the bridge need to be replaced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonWint (Post 5657178)
Why does the bridge need to be replaced?

Why does the bridge need to be replaced ?

cheesefries25 03-10-2018 03:35 PM

It's split where one of the mounting screws is :p

Needs to be replaced if I want to play it! Lol....

Imbler 03-10-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesefries25 (Post 5665043)
It's split where one of the mounting screws is :p

Needs to be replaced if I want to play it! Lol....

Just have the bridge replaced. You will suffer a degradation and no benefits from a tailpiece bridge for a guitar that was not designed for one.

rodmbds 03-16-2018 11:05 PM

Yep, replace the bridge. I'll learn a lot by doing that, believe me.

IIIIFFF the bridge pops, try the tailpiece. But if the job is well done, I doubt it would pop.