The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why not tune B string to C and E string to F? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85813)

JasonE 09-06-2006 06:54 PM

Why not tune B string to C and E string to F?

Why doesn't standard tuning tune the B string to C and E string to F?

Then all strings would have the same interval between then, with out the change at the B string.

I have two guesses, but they are guesses,

1. All open strings (like when you really blow the fingering for a chord but are strumming away) sound better with the standard tunning,

or

2. The standard tuning makes some chords obtainable (or easier) than the EADGCF tuning would.

Any ideas?

JasonE

poorbs 09-06-2006 07:33 PM

Not sure how standard tuning evolved (probably from classical), but I've heard it said that "standard" tuning is not the dominant tuning worldwide. There are apparently more guitarists using "alternate" tunings than standard, and no single tuning dominates.

If chording is your thing, then standard tuning is the place to be, but re-tuning opens up the range of the instrument and makes a lot more possible than would be in standard, especially in fingerstyle.

ljguitar 09-06-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonE
...I have two guesses, but they are guesses,
1. All open strings (like when you really blow the fingering for a chord but are strumming away) sound better with the standard tunning,
2. The standard tuning makes some chords obtainable (or easier) than the EADGCF tuning would.

Hi Jason...
There are many ''alternate'' tunings in existence, and other than increasing the tension on the strings, one could experiment with your tuning.

I bet you could accomplish the same thing by dropping it to D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb

Have you already experimented with this tuning?

JasonE 09-06-2006 07:52 PM

Well, I looked at wikipedia after I started this thread, and looks like they have the answers.

From Wilkipedia:
Standard tuning has evolved to provide a good compromise between simple fingering for many chords and the ability to play common scales with minimal left hand movement.

The separation of the first (e') and second (b) string, as well as the separation between the third (g), fourth (d), fifth (A), and sixth (E) strings by a 5-semitone interval (a perfect fourth) allows notes of the chromatic scale to be played with each of the four fingers of the left hand controlling one of the first four frets (index finger on fret 1, little finger on fret 4, etc.). It also yields a symmetry and intelligibility to fingering patterns.

The separation of the second (b), and third (g) string is by a 4-semitone interval (a major third). Though this breaks the fingering pattern of the chromatic scale and thus the symmetry, it eases the playing of some often-used chords and scale, and it provides more diversity in fingering possibilities.

Then they describe some alternate tunings, including the one I asked about:
All fourths: E-A-d-g-c'-f'
This tuning is like that of the lowest four strings in standard tuning. It removes from standard tuning the irregularity of the interval of a third between the second and third strings. With regular tunings like this, chords can simply be moved down or across the fretboard, dramatically reducing the number of different finger positions that need to be memorized. The disadvantage is that not all major and minor chords can be played with all six strings at once.

JasonE

T-120 09-08-2006 03:22 PM

Gonna' take a lot of practice, (IMHO), no matter what one chooses as a basic standard tuning.......(but you KNOW I'm gonna' go try your question re: the B and E string changes):rolleyes: :up:

Thanks for giving me a Friday "pre-gig" project. :)

Guitaritis 09-08-2006 05:25 PM

Of course there is a 'standard' tuning. It is the tuning guitars are tuned in. been that way for a long time. Where do these threads originate???

TBman 09-08-2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitaritis
Of course there is a 'standard' tuning. It is the tuning guitars are tuned in. been that way for a long time. Where do these threads originate???

Not in my house. Of my 5 guitars only 2 are in "Standard Tuning." I think the original post was well thought out and a good topic of discussion.

gteague 09-08-2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasone
disadvantage is that not all major and minor chords can be played with all six strings at once.

in standard tuning you can't play all six strings with a lot of chords unless you use barre chords, right?

it really, really throws me off, that 'b' string. i detest it. coming from the violin where if you know the fingering for one string you know them all, it's a wart and a mental hurdle where there shouldn't be one.

i'd try this 'c' 'f' thing out if it didn't put so much stress on the instrument. is there any way to get equidistant intervals without so drastic a tuning change?

/guy

T-120 09-09-2006 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitaritis
Where do these threads originate???

From the originator....:halo: ;)