The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Black Richlite (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191507)

mondoslug 08-11-2010 01:26 PM

Black Richlite

Why?

It seems like this is opening a can o' worms but I didn't see a thread on it & today's the first I've even heard of the stuff

I probably would have bought a OMCE online today unplayed, except for that. Might be fabulous but...why do it to that guitar? Is it just a money thing?

mjudd 08-11-2010 01:51 PM

Yes, it's a money thing, essentially. Synthetic product, hard. It may have some advantages. Probably doesn't shrink, expand, warp, etc. like wood does. If you're into environmentalism, it doesn't take any wood from the environment.

But it isn't wood. Traditionalists (like me) would prefer Ebony (or Rosewood, or some other natural wood) instead.

By the way, you can get it in other colors. Anyone want a green bridge and fretboard?

Placida 08-11-2010 03:55 PM

What's wrong with it?

mondoslug 08-11-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjudd (Post 2311981)
Yes, it's a money thing, essentially. Synthetic product, hard. It may have some advantages. Probably doesn't shrink, expand, warp, etc. like wood does. If you're into environmentalism, it doesn't take any wood from the environment.

But it isn't wood. Traditionalists (like me) would prefer Ebony (or Rosewood, or some other natural wood) instead.

By the way, you can get it in other colors. Anyone want a green bridge and fretboard?

Thanks for the lowdown mjudd...appreciate it.

mondoslug 08-11-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Placida (Post 2312100)
What's wrong with it?

Hey Placida, it might be great & I don't want to be seen slamming it because there's probably many happy owners here(too late, soooory!)

For me, I guess somewhere along the line I turned into a fossil & as nice looking as that guitar is I hate knowing that there's a countertop on it with frets countersunk. It might sound great though & then I'm screwed so...who knows.

Placida 08-11-2010 06:21 PM

Thanks. :)

AZLiberty 08-11-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondoslug (Post 2311955)
Why?

Is it just a money thing?

Yes.

The black Richlite fingerboard was the one thing that kept me from buying a JC-16RGT a while back. I just wasn't willing to spend that much coin on a guitar with a bakelite/richlite/micarta fretboard.

mondoslug 08-11-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZLiberty (Post 2312223)
I just wasn't willing to spend that much coin on a guitar with a bakelite/richlite/micarta fretboard.

Feelin ya.

SwimTrunks 03-29-2011 01:52 PM

I have been checking out the Martin GPCPA4 and the Larrivee LV-03E, and i just learned that the martin has a synthetic fretboard. I guess all my research payed off.
Larrivee, here i come! Can't wait to feel your sweet ebony under my fingers.

AZLiberty 03-29-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Placida (Post 2312100)
What's wrong with it?

It isn't wood. It's plastic with a filler material like bakelite or micarta. It doesn't feel like wood, feels like plastic. :sick:

Richlite is a phenolic resin with a paper filler.
Bakelite is a phenolic resin with a wood flour filler (extra fine sawdust)
Micarta is a linen, rag, or canvas filled resin (usually phenolic but could be a melemine resin as well.

ckdhaven 03-29-2011 08:49 PM

I have a DCPA3.. same stuff on the fretboard and I would have rather had ebony because of the prestige... But>>>>so far, so good, the guitar is pretty cool and I don't feel a wood fretboard would change the tone which is the most important thing,, right?

However, only time will tell.. Especially with Iowa winters and humidity swings?

stringjunky 03-29-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZLiberty (Post 2564953)
It isn't wood. It's plastic with a filler material like bakelite or micarta. It doesn't feel like wood, feels like plastic. :sick:

Richlite is a phenolic resin with a paper filler.
Bakelite is a phenolic resin with a wood flour filler (extra fine sawdust)
Micarta is a linen, rag, or canvas filled resin (usually phenolic but could be a melemine resin as well.

"The composition of RichliteŽ Surface is cellulose fiber and resin, much like Mother Nature's trees (but with extra resin in our product to make it more durable). And similar to certain characteristics of wood, RichliteŽ Surface Camel material does noticeably darken with age due to ultra-violet exposure and oxidation, much like Fir or Cherry cabinet material. It is this enriching color transformation that has many architects praising the look of the Camel color. The Nutmeg and Slate Black materials do not display such a change because of their darker base colors. Pistachio has the capability of turning towards a drab olive. Of course, color evolutions can be restrained by employing ultra violet shields upon incoming natural light."

http://www.richlite.com/richlite/faqs.asp?faq=8

I'd call it a fibre board not plastic.

AZLiberty 03-29-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringjunky (Post 2564974)
"The composition of RichliteŽ Surface is chlite.com/richlite/faqs.asp?faq=8[/url]

I'd call it a fibre board not plastic.

Call it what you like, it's mostly phenolic resin, and feels like micarta.

Huckleberry 03-30-2011 03:54 AM

I owned a D16-GT with micarta fingerboard, and absolutely loved it. The feel was like the very best ebony, it was totally consistent, and the uniform black looked really good too.

I'd much rather have a synthetic fingerboard to a non-premium grade ebony one, or any rosewood one.

DRS 03-30-2011 05:30 AM

I am also very happy with my Micarta fretboard. I've had ebony and rosewood fretboards. I like ebony more than rosewood. But I have to say after I got over the "thought" that my new guitar has micarta instead of "real" wood...it didn't bother me at all. It plays every bit as well as my ebony fretboard did, and better than the rosewood. (Actually, It plays a bit "faster" than my ebony fretboard and I like it every bit as well if not more.) And if it holds up well...then, whats the problem? As an added bonus it looks like the ebony too. So, the moral is, for me, if it plays and looks good...what's the big deal. It seems at this point to be every bit as good as the "real" wood. It is just the thought of it not being wood. (I got over not having to have wood bindings too.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckleberry (Post 2565123)
I owned a D16-GT with micarta fingerboard, and absolutely loved it. The feel was like the very best ebony, it was totally consistent, and the uniform black looked really good too.

I'd much rather have a synthetic fingerboard to a non-premium grade ebony one, or any rosewood one.