The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tusq vs Bone (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220286)

Scriptor 06-23-2011 08:44 AM

Tusq vs Bone

OK ... cut me some slack ... this is my first attempt at a poll ... just wanted to get an idea how many Taylor owners were pleased with a Bone upgrade and how many went back to Tusq ...

Masao 06-23-2011 09:08 AM

Bone sounded better to me than the Tusq.

Ken

JohnnyDes 06-23-2011 04:19 PM

Cool poll, Scriptor. I voted for Spruce, kept the bone, but in reality I'm not yet decided. I like certain things about the tusq tone, and others about the bone.

In general, I like what bone does to the trebles - rounds them out beautifully. As for the wounds, I feel like bone makes them more fundamental, with a slightly less complex sound. But I did notice on my last swap from T to B that it markedly increased the sustain on the low E. So for now, I'm with bone. Might change at some later point.

I think other confounding factors on the whole tusq to bone thing include string type (80/20 vs PB, coated vs uncoated) and playing style.

JD

Glennwillow 06-23-2011 04:48 PM

I've had good luck with Bob Colosi's bone saddles over Tusq in a variety of guitars, not just Taylors. But I also recognize that not everyone is happy with bone, and thank goodness, the experiment is always reversible. :)

- Glenn

sachi 06-23-2011 05:39 PM

I'm with Glenn. I put bone on three guitars so far, and I've kept it on all of them. I'm sure I'll be putting it on the last one soon.

rrgguitarman 06-24-2011 08:44 AM

I may be the odd man out. I voted back to Tusq.

I first put a Colosi bone saddle on my GA3 and didn't care for the thin sound.
I traded the GA3 for a GA4 and again, same results.
I also purchased a GS4e ltd (Tas/Sitka) and again I thought that the guitar sounded better with the Tusq.

My GS4e ltd was traded for a 414ce ltd (RW/Sitka) and in all fairness, I have not put a bone saddle on this guitar. I like the way is sounds and I haven't had very good luck with bone on my Taylors.

I think that it depends on the guitar. My other guitars have benefited greatly from the bone saddle.

riorider 06-24-2011 08:52 AM

What!!?? Mahogany is an afterthought? Also-ran? "Other top?"

Just mildly kidding.

Koa topped GC: kept the bone; rounded it out, sounded like a bell, sustain ++

Spruce topped 355: kept the bone; sustain and separation / clarity

Mahogany topped Baby Taylor(s) (2): kept the bone; increased the overall quality of the tone significantly

Mahogany topped Alvarez entry-level: kept the bone; increased the overall quality

Mahogany topped Taylors: went with WAHI rather than bone because Bob said the mahogany could handle the increased trebles; kept the WAHI - increased sustain, "color" or the tone, "roundness" of the notes; decreased "sharpness" of tone

Rainsong OM: I have the bone but haven't replaced the Tusq yet. I'm expecting much the same - increased sustain, roundness of note, bell-like quality.

Cheers,

Phil

Scriptor 06-24-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riorider (Post 2664209)
What!!?? Mahogany is an afterthought? Also-ran? "Other top?"

Just mildly kidding.

Sorry Phil ... no disrespect intended, mild or otherwise, for Mahogany ... thanks so much for your feedback ...

JohnnyDes 06-24-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riorider (Post 2664209)

Rainsong OM: I have the bone but haven't replaced the Tusq yet. I'm expecting much the same - increased sustain, roundness of note, bell-like quality.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil, I did try a Colosi bone saddle in my Rainsong and I thought that coupled with the Elixirs, the tone was just too muted. But I'm of a mind to try again since my perspective definitely changes over time.

JD