The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   For fingerstyle: 12 fret sitka or 14 fret Adirondack (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284985)

Sesop 02-22-2013 08:51 AM

For fingerstyle: 12 fret sitka or 14 fret Adirondack

I'm trying to decide how to go with a new (primarily) fingerstyle guitar. I'm set on Blueridge. The questions are- mahogany or rosewood back/sides, and 14-fret with Adirondack or 12-fret Sitka. (The 12-fretters don't come with Adi). I'm not really much of a heavy strummer, but I do occasionally pick fairly heavily. I don't already have an Adi guitar, so there's a part of me that thinks I should add one to the stable, but I'm not sure whether the advantages of Adi outweigh the advantages of a 12-fretter, especially for these purposes. I DO already have a rosewood guitar and a mahogany guitar, so the back/sides isn't necessarily as important a decision as the top and number of frets.

Basically what I'm looking for is advice on 12 fret sitka versus 14 fret Adirondack on a fingerstyle guitar.

If I'm going to go with Sitka on a 12-fretter, my choices are:
Blueridge BR-142 and BR-162. (142 is mahogany. 162 is rosewood).

If I'm going to go with Adi, I could get a BR-143A or BR-163A (again, hog versus rosewood). Of course, there's the 243A and 263A, but as far as I can tell, the difference between the 1s and the 2s doesn't necessarily justify the difference in price.

Of course, there's also the laminates- Blueridge's BR-43/63/73AS seem mighty fine and well priced. I've never owned a laminated guitar before, but if someone can convince me that I won't be able to tell the difference between laminate and solid on these models, one of those may be perfect.

Thanks for your feedback.

mb propsom 02-22-2013 09:48 AM

Essentially, any of those choices and combinations can make a good fingerstyle guitar. The problem here is that an individual's playing style (hard, soft--with or without picks) varies from player to player, as does the sound that he or she considers desirable. I would suggest that, rather than rely on someone else's opinion, you play the particular instrument that in which you're interested. That's the only way you'll know if it's got the particular sound qualities that you value.

Skip@sealevel 02-22-2013 09:57 AM

It's about the music...

I agree with Michael's comment. Pick up guitars. Play them. Listen to their voices. Feel the action. Get someone else to play them if you like, while you stand in front of the few you narrow down to and see what they sound like in the room. Gauge what your budget will allow. Buy the best guitar for you and the music you play. You can't go wrong like this. Above all have fun with this process. We don't get to do it but so often, at least most of us.

Skip

zombywoof 02-22-2013 10:03 AM

For me the starting point is not number of frets or top wood but nut width and string spacing at the bridge. Once you find the formula that you are most at home with then you can opt for whatever else makes you happy.

Scriptor 02-22-2013 10:07 AM

+1 ... test drive everything you can before you decide what is right for you; you won't be sorry for taking your time and don't take too much stock in what folks say you should like ... you can read, consider good advice, watch youtube reviews etc. but there is no substitute for hands-on ... on paper, it may sound like a perfect match, but don't rely solely on that information ...

Sesop 02-22-2013 10:21 AM

Thanks. It's all true, but there isnt a store around for hundreds of miles that carries Blueridge guitars, but every one I've played has been stellar, and none of the guitars I've been able to play locally match the qualities of any of the Blueridges. Plus, most online stores have solid return policies, so I think I'm in good shape, all things considered.