The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A new Start: Kinnaird Black and White Ebony (Deep Body) OM (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466805)

invguy921 04-15-2017 02:25 PM

A new Start: Kinnaird Black and White Ebony (Deep Body) OM

Quite a while back (and I do mean quite a while back), John and I talked about doing another custom build for me. We were hoping for it to start sometime last fall, and then life got in the way. Now that time has passed, and I've sold off some of my finest instruments, I'm getting a bit anxious for something nice to play that I don't have to sell the week I get it ha!. :guitar:

John has been very patient with me and allowed me time to work a few things out. Now that a few of my most pressing issues have begun to subside a bit, it's time to start a very SLOW build. You could say that this one will fit in between some other projects John is working on and so it may be this time next year before this is totally completed...which is about the amount of time I'll need to gather up the funds to pay for it lol

So, initially I'll say that the guitar will sport the woods you see below. The striped piece is Black and White Ebony, and the soundboard is some really nice pure white Englemann Spruce. John and I have much to discuss regarding the particulars of this build. Our goal is to create something that is visually compelling and tonally amazing. As with all of my earlier projects, "traditional with an edge". We're probably going to bind it with Black ebony, but many of the other details are yet to be worked out.

I might mention a couple of things that we have settled on...it will be a 13 fret with a cutaway, and it will have a Ryan style but thinner arm bevel, and a bound soundport.

Edit: Also a deep body. The bevels make it all work nicely to be a bit chubby but comfy guitar :guitar:

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...psvifmoisx.jpghttp://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0jiszhzu.jpg

TomB'sox 04-15-2017 02:42 PM

Let me be the first to congratulate you Mike. This is going to be an awesome looker and sounder for sure. I saw some black and white ebony like this in Steve Sheriff's (Edwinson) wood locker and was immediately taken by it. It will make a stunning guitar. It will be fun to watch as it develops. You deserve it.

Congrats to John too for obviously building such a great guitar as to have return customers like Mike!!!

Halcyon/Tinker 04-15-2017 02:50 PM

That's some cool wood!

Glenn23 04-15-2017 02:52 PM

Very cool wood!

jessupe 04-15-2017 04:04 PM

massively cool wood

Nemoman 04-15-2017 04:17 PM

Should be a stunner!

invguy921 04-15-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5306499)
Let me be the first to congratulate you Mike. This is going to be an awesome looker and sounder for sure. I saw some black and white ebony like this in Steve Sheriff's (Edwinson) wood locker and was immediately taken by it. It will make a stunning guitar. It will be fun to watch as it develops. You deserve it.

Congrats to John too for obviously building such a great guitar as to have return customers like Mike!!!

Thanks Tom. These cool guys and great builders like John and Steve have an eye for great wood choices. The second I saw this I thought WOW that would make a cool guitar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker (Post 5306504)
That's some cool wood!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn23 (Post 5306506)
Very cool wood!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessupe (Post 5306604)
massively cool wood

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 5306622)
Should be a stunner!

Thanks to all of you who commented above :up:. I'm grateful for the encouraging words and thoughts about this project. I think the wood looks cool, but I also more importantly hope it sounds amazing. I've found in my own limited experience that Englemann over Ebony has some real possibilities in the hands of someone of John's caliber. So...I like my chances of having a pretty guitar that also sounds great.

Scallywag 04-15-2017 06:31 PM

Wow! That ebony looks like a graphite sketch or something. Crazy.

Congrats!

David Wren 04-15-2017 06:37 PM

Lovin' that black and white ebony!

Zacharius 04-15-2017 06:42 PM

Wow!! That is going to make a killer guitar!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogthefrog 04-15-2017 06:47 PM

Very nice!

I heard from a very, very good luthier that B&W ebony can be very difficult to work with, especially when bending--apparently it likes to crack a lot.

j. Kinnaird 04-15-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogthefrog (Post 5306771)
Very nice!

I heard from a very, very good luthier that B&W ebony can be very difficult to work with, especially when bending--apparently it likes to crack a lot.

Im finding this wood to be very resilient and tough. I tried to break a cutoff piece from the back. It bent; didnt break. No problem bending the sides. When it gets hot it gives up.

Marcus Wong 04-15-2017 09:32 PM

Very nice wood!!

rogthefrog 04-15-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird (Post 5306848)
Im finding this wood to be very resilient and tough. I tried to break a cutoff piece from the back. It bent; didnt break. No problem bending the sides. When it gets hot it gives up.

Excellent!!

CoolerKing 04-15-2017 09:45 PM

Kathy wingert made a harp guitar out of that sort of striped ebony in the past and I always thought it was cool. Good luck! :)