The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Excitement in my quiet little town this morning. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461171)

Silly Moustache 02-25-2017 07:39 AM

Excitement in my quiet little town this morning.

About midday, I was busy doing some touch up paintwork on my shed on my allotment when flashing blue lights and screeching tyres drew my attention to the road ....where my car was parked.

Next thing I saw, police with GUNS !! in England? An Armed response vehicle ha chased and blocked off a presumably dangerous villain, and had some sort of small two handed gun things. No firing of course, but very dramatic.

It is so sad that we have to have police with firearms nowadays.

Watched the villain arrested, hand-cuffed and questioned, and then taken away. Someone said that he was known to them and a local violent type.

I was worried about the police cars by my car, but no damage observed.

I do understand that we now have armed police at our airports, and I once saw an armed policeman at railway station when a lot of immigrants got off a train - dunno if it was related.

Hateful that there are people around who need such a response.

Back to painting the shed!

RP 02-25-2017 07:49 AM

Pretty exciting....

sled 02-25-2017 08:18 AM

I joined the Lexington KY police in 1986. One of my training officers was a Scottish fella who had been a Bobbie in London prior to coming to America. In fact, the PD had wanted him so bad they helped him get his paperwork for citizenship. I asked him about British police being unarmed and he just smiled and said "do you really believe that?" He said the majority of officers are armed, they just conceal and don't let anyone know. I have no first hand knowledge, but that's what he told me and that was in the 80's. He was the best man with a stick I ever worked with though.... sadly, he got run over by a drunk while working a wreck and had his pelvis basically crushed. He is out of a wheelchair now, but struggles daily....

Frankieabbott 02-25-2017 08:18 AM

The Police chase sounded exciting enough......but what was more interesting is that you have an allotment!!! There's a 10-12 year waiting list for them in my neck of the woods, lol. 😏

SFCRetired 02-25-2017 10:02 AM

You folks never seem to learn. It was in WWII that American citizens had to send arms to the citizens of Great Britain so they could defend themselves in case of a land attack by the Germans.

There are bad people in this world and history should have taught us all that. But the good news is you are surrounded by a moat.

Wadcutter 02-25-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFCRetired (Post 5245328)
You folks never seem to learn. It was in WWII that American citizens had to send arms to the citizens of Great Britain so they could defend themselves in case of a land attack by the Germans.

There are bad people in this world and history should have taught us all that. But the good news is you are surrounded by a moat.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

Bob Womack 02-25-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

But the good news is you are surrounded by a moat.

The last couple of corporals who tried to cross the channel came a cropper.

Bob

Neil K Walk 02-25-2017 10:26 AM

I'm always amazed at how civilized people are intimidated by firearms. The only time I fear firearms are when they are in the hands of the ignorant or the desperate.

alnico5 02-25-2017 10:27 AM

Mr Moustache, we live in galaxies far far away from each other. I'm a cop in the USA. Violence shouldn't be the answer, but when it is, it may be the ONLY answer.

jpd 02-25-2017 10:41 AM

It is so sad that we have to have police with firearms nowadays.

Silly, I grew up during the 50's/60's in Detroit. It was commonplace to hear gun shots and hear about the "murder capital" that was once called Motown. You'd be stunned at the amount of fire power I was witness too. The scary thing is that in this day and age, that fire power would be considered small potatoes.:eek:

Silurian 02-25-2017 10:47 AM

I am glad that what Silly witnessed is still relatively rare in the UK. :)

HHP 02-25-2017 10:52 AM

As a great philosopher once observed , "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone"

Steve DeRosa 02-25-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

You folks never seem to learn. It was in WWII that American citizens had to send arms to the citizens of Great Britain so they could defend themselves in case of a land attack by the Germans...There are bad people in this world and history should have taught us all that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwakatak (Post 5245375)
I'm always amazed at how civilized people are intimidated by firearms. The only time I fear firearms are when they are in the hands of the ignorant or the desperate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnico5 (Post 5245377)
...I'm a cop in the USA. Violence shouldn't be the answer, but when it is, it may be the ONLY answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5245408)
As a great philosopher once observed, "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone"

"God created man, but Sam Colt made them equal"
- American Western proverb

What they said...

offkey 02-25-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5245408)
As a great philosopher once observed , "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone"

Wyatt Earp made everybody turn in the guns at the edge of town, still a good policy in my opinion.

mechanic1908 02-25-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnico5 (Post 5245377)
Mr Moustache, we live in galaxies far far away from each other. I'm a cop in the USA. Violence shouldn't be the answer, but when it is, it may be the ONLY answer.

My father used to say " violence is never the answer, but sometimes its the only viable solution ".

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk