The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Eastman E20 OM Opinions? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210089)

Dadgad4 03-06-2011 09:20 PM

Eastman E20 OM Opinions?

Anyone have an opinion or experience with this great looking guitar?

LoMa 03-06-2011 09:38 PM

I've played a couple of Eastman E20-OM's and several E10-OM's. I personally preferred the tone of the mahogany E10's, which just seemed prettier to me, but the E20 rosewoods seemed like fine guitars too. Both had a deep throbbing bass, nice mids, and sparkly trebles, although the balance of both kinds of guitars seemed bass heavy in balance. The rosewood models seemed a bit nasal, and the mahoganyy models seemed sweeter to me. Your taste may vary from mine though. Note that I tend to like both mahognay and rosewood guitars, but I didn;t care for the rosewood tone in the Eastman E20's.

The guitars all seemed well made, the adirondack tops all seemd very nice with the characteristic tight grain in the center and wider grain at the edges of the top. They all had great resonance and responsiveness. Also they all had good setups. I tried tham out at two different shops - one rosewood and 2 hogs at one, and one rosewood and 3 hogs at the other. They had great consistency, I thought. Playability seemed to be the same across the board, and ther tonality consistent too for the hogs and for the rosewoods.

They have a very different balance from Taylor guitars, however (I noticed you have a quiver of Taylor's). They are more bass heavy than the Martin OM's I've played, to give you an idea of where they are in the tonal spectrum. They have some nice treble sparkle too, but they are much nearer to the Martin tonal end of the spectrum, while having their own distinct signature sound. That's one of the thing I like about the Eastmans - a consistent signature sound.

dodge 03-06-2011 09:52 PM

I owned an E10-OM for a while, terrific guitar for the price very well made with a unique sound and great playability. I personally prefer mahogany over rosewood but I am sure you wouldn't be disappointed with either. Some of the best guitars in their price point without a doubt.

Dadgad4 03-07-2011 06:34 AM

Thanks for the great input. No Eastman dealers in the Chicago area and I'll end up buying without ever playing. They get great reviews but you never know if you will like it yourself. I do like Taylor guitars but I've owned everything from Martin LJ's to Lowdens to CA's - right now just looking for a different tone than what I have and sounds like this might be it.

jlwoodall 03-07-2011 06:39 AM

My opinion... I want one! I haven't played the OM but the Eastman Dread was one of the nicest sounding guitars I've had in my hands.

Dadgad4 03-07-2011 08:14 AM

There's a beautiful sunburst Eastman Dred on the Guitars USA Plus website right now. How's the tone on your's?

Fret-O'File 03-07-2011 08:54 AM

I have the E20-OM and I absolutely love it! It's my first OM because I have always been a dread guy but it just may convert me to an OM guy. I have an Eastman AC-720 dread that is a great guitar and I had heard so many great things about the E series, I had to see what all the hype was about. I couldn't be happier with it.

It is by the far the most easily playable guitar I have ever owned. The tone is amazing, sweet, rich and very full sounding. I was worried the bass would be lacking in a smaller guitar, definitely not the case with this one, but it isn't overpowering either, the balance is superb.

I read a lot of reviews before I bought it and watched some videos. The video that sold me on it is the one posted below. The video is a pretty good representation of what my guitar sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCwbltiYB0s

Kurt

Dadgad4 03-07-2011 09:57 AM

Kurt - you sold me! Buying a guitar online when you've never even played the brand once is a bit scary. But too many people with experience like Eastman to not give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Fret-O'File 03-07-2011 10:40 AM

No problem Steve, I hope you are as happy with it as I am. By the way, both of my Eastmans came from Guitar Plus USA. They are great guys to deal with. I have my eye on that E20D sunburst but I would probably have to get rid of my AC720 first and I'm still not sure if I want to part with it.

Kurt

shortymack 03-07-2011 11:33 AM

I bought my E10D sight unseen without ever playing one and have no regrets. The reviews are spot on, great guitars.

Fret-O'File 03-08-2011 12:44 PM

Steve,

I would love to hear what you think of it once you get, be sure to post your thoughts.

Kurt

pugsley-do-rite 03-08-2011 04:22 PM

I own an Eastman E10D and E20D guitar. Both are excellent sounding and playing guitars. The tonewoods used are top notch and the craftmanship is excellent. I would tell anyone who is looking for a dread to try the new E series
Eastmans.

geordie 03-08-2011 05:46 PM

hi dadgad4, yeah I played one last autumn on a trip to London and I was left thinking - if I lost my guitars tomorrow this is what I'd buy, if ya cant do it on this - you cant do it.
It was an E OM20 I like the rosewood sound, I'd reckon some other "name" company's would have it prices at almost double with their logo on it.
I've been trying to encourage others here on UK forums to give these models (Adirondack topped) a try with no luck, I seem to be the only one whose bothered trying them, they really dont know what their missing.
get on if you can as their in short supply
Geordie

playon 03-11-2011 10:06 PM

I've owned every vintage guitar you can think of, and I think these guitars are an incredible bargain. My only caveat is that it is very misleading for them to be calling them "OM" models. They are the shorter 25" scale, not the 25.4" scale of a real OM. Therefore they are more like a late 30s 000-28. To me they sound and play every bit as good as the Martin Authentic series, for about $4000 less.

tomg4732 03-11-2011 11:32 PM

E 20 Om

Hey Dadgad, Just recieved one today from Gianna Violins and think it's terrific, Loud Clear tone , crispy mids and highs,deep rich bass.....great sound!
Neck is a medium C shape, not chunky but not real slim either. Woods are all beautiful , I have a Bourgeois JOMC that may be better, but at 4 times the price it should be!! Started checking out the Eastmans by buying a 510 slothead and was blown away by the build and tone, just a great little guitar and at the price a steal so I had to check out the 20 OM and am glad I did ! I installed a jjb 330 in the 510 and will do the same in this one , when you turn it up you hear the same sound only louder, using a Dunlop MXR 10 band for volume , tone, and a feedback control ( if needed ) all good !!
Just fyi I have a couple of Taylors ,710ce,25th anniverary GA, Martin D41,Martin 00037 Steve Miller, Bourgeois JOMC, Bourgeois Slope D,ETC. and I'll bet I'll be playing this mostly for the Tone and comfortable size ! good luck !