The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fishman Aura Spectrum vs Zoom A3 vs ? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455613)

hat 01-09-2017 05:44 AM

Fishman Aura Spectrum vs Zoom A3 vs ?

I'm currently using a Fishman Spectrum, and so far am quite happy with it. However, one thing I've noticed on the Zoom A3 is it has a boost function which would be nice. Has anyone done a comparison of the two as far as the modeling, and other functions? How is the build quality of the Zoom?

buzzardwhiskey 01-09-2017 08:07 AM

I have no experience with the Spectrum, but I own the Zoom A3. For it's current price, this unit stands alone in the field. Seriously, nothing comes close. Two channels, phantom power, dozens of model and body-type combinations (sculpted EQ's), and hundreds of effects combinations all in a reasonably well built unit. Is it THE answer?... No. But it probably warrants consideration.

Puerto Player 01-09-2017 09:35 AM

Well, I've had both, not completely sold on either. I still have the Fishman but probably not too much longer. It colors the sound a lot and I can't really find a tone I like more than the pre-amped tone of my guitar with a FRM RNP (Really Nice Preamp). As it's a two-channel pre-amp I also run my vocals through it too, and for me, it's a serious step above both the Zoom and the Fishman. It just gives a "feel" to the tone that is exactly what I was looking for.

2Fenderman 01-09-2017 09:50 AM

Hey, I have not tried Zoom A3 but tried Zoom G3 on acoustic guitar that was totally ok when you used XLR output to mixer but it was the loss of sound quality when I used output for standard jack plug so I handed it back, now I use one Fishman Platinum pro eq which is very good and convenient, without any loss of sound quality both with XLR and jack, just my experience :-)

Irish Pennant 01-09-2017 10:46 AM

I've been using the Zoom A3 for a while now. It's build quality has been very good. As for the boost function, I don't care for it. When using it, it seems to add a metallic element to the tone. All I want from a boost is a clean increase in volume, this seems as though it is increasing the gain.

Would I buy the Zoom A3 again, yes. All the other things it can do has been worth it. It has a lot of ways to eq, add color and tone that can also allow a boost effect to be achieved by customizing a patch and engaging it when you want a boost.

JoshuaCYS 01-10-2017 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Pennant (Post 5186871)
I've been using the Zoom A3 for a while now. It's build quality has been very good. As for the boost function, I don't care for it. When using it, it seems to add a metallic element to the tone. All I want from a boost is a clean increase in volume, this seems as though it is increasing the gain.

Would I buy the Zoom A3 again, yes. All the other things it can do has been worth it. It has a lot of ways to eq, add color and tone that can also allow a boost effect to be achieved by customizing a patch and engaging it when you want a boost.

You can try to adjust the tone settings from the boost settings menu. I tried that and it reduced the metallic zing sound whenever boost is activated