The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   CA guitar question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242965)

Rhythm 02-26-2012 08:07 PM

CA guitar question

I heard that CA guitars do not have truss rods. Ok, I know that the neck will never move so in theory it does not need adjustment. But what if I dont like the stock action of one of there guitars. That dont make no sense to me. Is this true? Maybe Im being to picky but the fact that I am unable to customize the setup of my guitar kind of erks me.

Steve Christens 02-26-2012 08:47 PM

Well first off, you don't use a truss rod to adjust action, you use it to adjust the amount of relief. And since carbon fiber guitars are so stable, a number of builders have decided to make their guitars without truss rods to make things simple. The amount of relief you get is an average level that suits most players.

As for action, you can adjust that all you want by altering the saddle and nut, even if there is no truss rod to adjust relief.

Some of the Rainsongs now come with adjustable truss rods, which is a good thing. But there are many many satisfied players of carbon fiber guitars without truss rods, so it does work - though perhaps not for you.

Doubleneck 02-27-2012 06:41 AM

I have a pre-Peavey CA that I lower by sanding the saddle to a very low action. It is very easy to see what the relieve is on a guitar and see if that works for you. Peavey right now is intent on a low action so I doubt there will be an issue. I have a Rainsong as well with a truss rod, that is nice but it would not be a deal breaker for me if I like the guitar.

mchalebk 02-27-2012 08:25 AM

Probably 95% of guitarists can get by with a standard relief setting. Wood guitars need truss rods because you can't guarantee that the relief won't change over time. CF guitars don't need a truss rod because they won't change over time. As mentioned, there are plenty of adjustments that can be made at the nut and/or saddle to adjust action.

That being said, there are guitarists who really want to be able to tweak the relief and feel they need a truss rod. If you really want one, your CF choices are limited to some RainSong models and Emerald (I think you can get a truss rod in all of their models).

Kindness 02-27-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchalebk (Post 2950023)
Probably 95% of guitarists can get by with a standard relief setting. Wood guitars need truss rods because you can't guarantee that the relief won't change over time. CF guitars don't need a truss rod because they won't change over time. As mentioned, there are plenty of adjustments that can be made at the nut and/or saddle to adjust action.

That being said, there are guitarists who really want to be able to tweak the relief and feel they need a truss rod. If you really want one, your CF choices are limited to some RainSong models and Emerald (I think you can get a truss rod in all of their models).

Yes, Alistair will install a truss rod if you want one for about $200 last I checked.

ac 02-27-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itself (Post 2950325)
[/B][/COLOR]

Yes, Alistair will install a truss rod if you want one for about $200 last I checked.

This past summer, it was $100. I don't think it's $200 unless something has changed just recently.

dkoloff 02-27-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac (Post 2950450)
This past summer, it was $100. I don't think it's $200 unless something has changed just recently.

The great debate of truss rod versus not....as said earlier if they get it right for 95% of the guitarists without the truss rod they will probably be satisfied as to not putting it in at Peavey.

AndyFrank 02-29-2012 04:17 PM

When I bought my first CA from Ted a few years ago I was concerned tha not having a truss rod would become a problem but it never was. As pointed out already you don't use the truss rod to set the action but too much relief can be a problem so if you are after a very low action suitable for fingerstyle and not much more than you will want the ability to adjust the truss rod. Rainsongs new N2 neck has an adjustable truss rod and I'm told it's been a huge hit.

mc1 02-29-2012 04:21 PM

i also think the 95% mark is closer for players who use standard gauge strings. if you use heavier or lighter strings, or detune, etc, then perhaps a truss rod is more important.