The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Taylor 214ce plugged in (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232601)

CP1 11-06-2011 07:23 PM

Taylor 214ce plugged in

Hey guys! I am coming back for more help. A few years ago I came here asking for advice on buying a solid wood epiphone masterbilt or a Taylor 100 or 200 series. After taking the advice given to play everything and pick the one that suits you best I picked the epi. I loved it and never regreted buying it, but sad to say after a year of playing it the fret board started separating and I had to send it back to epiphone. They sent me a new one with no hesitation, but it wasn't the same. I never really felt that connection to it.
Now onto my question. I am in the market for a new guitar and after playing everything in town I have fallen in love with a Taylor 214ce at a local guitar store. I play worship music at church through their (huge) pa system and occasionally through a smaller pa for little get togathers. I have heard good and bad reviews on the 214ces sound plugged in. I really love the sound unplugged and I it sounded great playing through the little amp at the store. My question is "Does it sound good through a pa system or is it a huge difference from the system in the 300 and above series?"

Glennwillow 11-06-2011 07:39 PM

Hi CP1,

From Taylor's website:

"ES-TŪ Under-Saddle Transducer / 100 & 200 Series and Doyle Deluxe.

The ES-TŪ is a single-source, under-saddle transducer with individual elements for each string. It features an onboard preamp and the same active controls found on the full ES. Featuring a custom-voiced EQ and dynamic response, the system is powered by a 9-volt battery, with a battery life LED power indicator (which is lit when the battery is being used). The pickup also has a Phase switch for feedback control, which is located on the preamp board inside the soundhole."

I think this pickup system through Fishman's Aura Spectrum DI system would sound great. You can buy these preamps for $250-260 if you search carefully. I use this preamp with my old 2002 Taylor 514CE and it really sounds good. For my tastes, I prefer this sound better than Taylor's Expression System, but obviously sound preference is highly subjective.

- Glenn

Giraku 11-07-2011 05:26 AM

ES-T pickup on 214ce is an under saddle pickup, which does not sound natural straight through amp/PA to my ears. But as Glenn said, if you spend extra cash on Fishman Aura, you can probably get quality sound at least as good as ES system that 300 and above series have.
If you can find a good deal on 314ce that makes price on 214ce+Aura nearly equal, I suggest getting 314ce for unplugged tone. But it is always important to feel a connection to a guitar (looks/playability/tone), you'd better play many guitars and pick the one that sings to you.

MBE 11-07-2011 09:44 AM

Depending on your application and personal taste, you might be happy with the UST in the 214. Many people prefer the full ES. I like my 114 through my Aura more than my 716 with the newest ES. If you're happy with the plugged in sound in the store, don't worry about what other people think. You just said you're happy with the plugged and unplugged tone - sounds like a no-brainer!

Dru Edwards 11-07-2011 03:33 PM

Hey CP1. Sorry to hear about your Masterbuilt issue. Can you send your 'new' one back for another one?

Many folks to prefer the ES over the ES-T. Unfortunately, the price for a new 214ce compared to a new 314ce is a little steep. Any chance you can find a used 314ce?

mutantrock 11-07-2011 06:02 PM

My guitar has the same pickup. It is not a bad pickup so you shouldn't be very concerned . If you love the guitar , go for it!:)
That's what happened to me with my 210e , love at first listen.
Later on I added a Aura pedal but you may be satisfied without an Aura. The Fishman Aura 16 is ideal for this guitar. Some folks add a unit like a Fishman Platinum EQ instead of Aura. As with any guitar you are going to plug in and play in different settings , pedals are often needed to maintain a good sound.