The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Increase Guitar Volume? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248648)

Kh1967 04-20-2012 04:08 AM

Increase Guitar Volume?

Hi All -

I have a wonderful SCGC Sinker Redwood/Mahogany OM that I posted about earlier - it is a tribute guitar to my dad and it has great meaning to me.

As I play it more now, I would like to see if there is a way to get a bit more volume and punch from the guitar. It is a wonderful sound as is; mellow, warm, woody. But, a little louder I would also enjoy.

I have had it strung with lights; always 80/20s - Elixirs, Martin SP and D'Addario.

I am wondering if a set of light mediums might drive a bit more volume and.....well, this is where I would welcome ideas from the AGF:)

Thanks, all!

chrisOMC15E 04-20-2012 04:33 AM

Presuming you're talking about totally acoustic -
All I can suggest, as well as agreeing that light mediums should theoretically increase the volume a bit, is to play a bit nearer the bridge perhaps. That should allow you to be a bit more forceful with your playing to get an extra bit of volume, and also it will increase the attack and bring out the higher frequencies - which will give your songs more 'punch'.

I'm not totally sure about those ideas, ...but worth a try :)

I'm sure you'll get some more replies with more advice.

topographic 04-20-2012 06:08 AM

If you have a really flat neck and/or really low action, increase the relief or raise the action slightly. At first your guitar will play a little harder, but you'll get used to it quickly....and it will be much louder. Sometimes just increasing the neck relief will increase the volume quite a bit.

If you increase the action, don't use a shim; make another saddle;)

Guest 2143 04-20-2012 06:39 AM

I don't know if you only strum the guitar, but if you fingerpick, fingerpicks can add a lot of volume. I play with fingerpicks and a thumbpick regularly. If you have not already tried them, or already use them, they will make a big difference in how loud you can get. Just an idea.

lennylux 04-20-2012 06:43 AM

...or get a pickup system and small acoustic guitar amplifier.

VegasGeorge 04-20-2012 08:34 AM

Play in a smaller room.

Zorker 04-20-2012 09:03 AM

Take a look at some of the DR line. They work really well on some instruments.

ljguitar 04-20-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kh1967 (Post 3014116)
Hi All -

I have a wonderful SCGC Sinker Redwood/Mahogany OM that I posted about earlier - it is a tribute guitar to my dad and it has great meaning to me.

As I play it more now, I would like to see if there is a way to get a bit more volume and punch from the guitar. It is a wonderful sound as is; mellow, warm, woody. But, a little louder I would also enjoy.

I have had it strung with lights; always 80/20s - Elixirs, Martin SP and D'Addario.

I am wondering if a set of light mediums might drive a bit more volume and.....well, this is where I would welcome ideas from the AGF:)

Thanks, all!

Hi Kh...

Fatter pick, play more over the sound hole.

Thicker strings may give more volume and at the same time make the sound more muddy or the action harder to play. There are always trade offs...

HHP 04-20-2012 09:21 AM

I'll take another approach and suggest that while you can adjust ultimate, clean volume to a certain extent, most of the limitations on volume are built into the guitar and will not be fully overcome. Strings, picks, and technique will possibly help but may not be able to get you where you want to be.

All things being equal, attempting to play my cedar topped Avalon at the same volume as my adirondack topped Bourgeois will only yield sonic mush.

BluesBelly 04-20-2012 09:22 AM

A set of Dean Markley Cryrogenic acoustic strings will bring more pop to a dull guitar than any other string I have tried in the last 45 years. A perfect weight are the #2033 strings (11-52). If you want to add a little zing or perk an old dull or cheap guitar these do the trick.

Blues

JasonEDH 04-20-2012 09:59 AM

how about a Planet Wave O-Port? What do you guys think of those? Is that the kind of volume you're looking for?

Kh1967 04-20-2012 04:29 PM

As usual.....Excellent suggestions. Thanks, everyone!

Larry Pattis 04-20-2012 04:37 PM

The redwood top is certainly going to be a limiting factor as to how much input the guitar can handle, and what the output can be.

Paikon 04-20-2012 04:59 PM

if you want to experiment with strings and you play fingerstyle try thomastik Pearse folk strings
they are made differently and they are louder because of that
they are pricey and you love them or hate them

JohnnyDes 04-20-2012 05:19 PM

If you already like the Martin SP strings, try the Light-Mediums (4150, etc.). They added volume to my Larrivee OM-09 and I could hardly tell they were of a higher gauge.

Also, yes, I've also noticed (I think) that adding just a little relief to the neck can make a discernible difference in volume, but you have to do it in small amounts otherwise you also notice a change in feel/playability.

Also, some strings sets have naturally higher output. For example, DR Rares are pretty loud, DR Sunbeams much quieter IME. EJ16s somewhere in between.

Also make sure your saddle is truly flat on the bottom.

Good luck! I've gone through this and it can be very frustrating.

JD