The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yamaha accoustic action too high (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118411)

fender22 02-14-2008 08:10 PM

Yamaha accoustic action too high

Hi, I just bought a second hand Yamaha APX-4a and the action seems very high towards the bridge end of the guitar. I have had guitars for many years and usually do my own set ups but can't see much of a way I could improve the action? The neck is straight as a die, and the body etc isn't warped. Nohing would be improved bringing the nut down as the action / height that end is fine. Maybe this model just has a high action? The bridge does seem to be very high and there is no adjustment that I can see? Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks Craig

fender22 02-14-2008 10:04 PM

update

I had a better look at it and looks like the top has arched up, where the bridge attaches, probably due to being stored too long under tension. Does anyone know if they came out with a slight arch or if they should be a flat top? Is there anything can be done?

ljguitar 02-14-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fender22 (Post 1385676)
Hi, I just bought a second hand Yamaha APX-4a and the action seems very high towards the bridge end of the guitar. I have had guitars for many years and usually do my own set ups but can't see much of a way I could improve the action? The neck is straight as a die, and the body etc isn't warped. Nohing would be improved bringing the nut down as the action / height that end is fine. Maybe this model just has a high action? The bridge does seem to be very high and there is no adjustment that I can see? Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Craig...
Welcome to the group, and settle in and have some fun!

Has the saddle been lowered? I'd check that before I do anything to the nut. I think there are some great directives on Fret dot com. Lots of pictures and explanations there.

Freeman 02-15-2008 09:14 AM

Craig, I posted a little thing for another forum that tells how to measure all the factors that go into the playability of a guitar - go to the pink thing in my sig, click the Tech stuff tab, and go thru "Is My Guitar Sick". There is another little article about how to fix your guitar if it is sick.

When the top "arches up" as you describe it is often associated with the neck angle changing - the string tension is essentially trying to bend the guitar in half at the neck-body joint. It might be related to humidity, but usually the top sinks in with a dry guitar. Get the humidity stable, measure the neck angle and all the other things, then move forward (or have a good tech look at it).

I don't know about that particular Yamie but I do know that some, like my FG were put together with a glue that does not release with heat/moisture which makes resetting the neck angle problematic. But before you start worrying about that do all the measurements.