The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Epiphone AJ 220 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326761)

mickthemiller 01-25-2014 02:37 PM

Epiphone AJ 220

Has anyone else got an Epiphone AJ 220? I bought one a couple of months ago for £119. A bargain!! I know there has been a lot of hype on Youtube about these guitars but they really are very good. The neck on this thing is about the best I have ever played (and I have played a few - too many) the action was spot on with no need to adjust nut, truss-rod or saddle. The top is solid spruce and looks quarter sawn with nice straight grain. It has a really mellow tone with a good thumping bass. The back and sides are reasonable quality laminate. The neck a mahogany type wood. These really are nice inexpensive guitars and worth a look before they all go.

Guest 429 01-25-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickthemiller (Post 3791357)
Has anyone else got an Epiphone AJ 220? I bought one a couple of months ago for £119. A bargain!! I know there has been a lot of hype on Youtube about these guitars but they really are very good. The neck on this thing is about the best I have ever played (and I have played a few - too many) the action was spot on with no need to adjust nut, truss-rod or saddle. The top is solid spruce and looks quarter sawn with nice straight grain. It has a really mellow tone with a good thumping bass. The back and sides are reasonable quality laminate. The neck a mahogany type wood. These really are nice inexpensive guitars and worth a look before they all go.

Don't own one but have played them. Congrats on a great guitar value! Very nice with vocals, and please don't misintepret that comment. For me that's very positive and what I look for in guitars from the gate.

That Epi made the list of Guitar World's best acoustics under $500 (November 2013 issue)...and deservedly. That whole category "irritates" some people, but I'm a big fan of the cheapos (said with affection). I have 2 FS700S Grand Auditorium Yamahas from that same list and love them.

Enjoy it and play the heck out of it!:)

Rmz76 01-25-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickthemiller (Post 3791357)

One of two Chinese made guitars that cost right at $200 that play and sound great and have a reasonable setup out of the box (the other is the Yamaha FG700s). Unbeatable for the price IMO. I have no negative personal experience with them, but I've noticed in reviews some people complaining about the neck warping within a year (make sure your register it for the lifetime warranty Epiphone supposedly provides)

Congrats and enjoy.

duluthdan 01-25-2014 03:19 PM

I own two. One lives at my in-laws house, and one with my folks. They live 1,200 miles away, so when I visit I don't have to travel with a guitar. They both sound fine. One of them is unplayable above the 5th fret due to extreme fret buzz, always has been like that, but is just fine down in cowboy chord territory. Both are inexpensive guitars that fulfill their role nicely, getting played once a year.http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/du...3796.jpg.html]http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2f813796.jpg[/URL]

zombywoof 01-25-2014 04:32 PM

Congrats.

I also have heard these guitars are prone to neck issues. I would worry more about keeping the guitar properly humidified though than putting any faith in the limited lifetime warranty.

mickthemiller 01-26-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmz76 (Post 3791427)
One of two Chinese made guitars that cost right at $200 that play and sound great and have a reasonable setup out of the box (the other is the Yamaha FG700s). Unbeatable for the price IMO. I have no negative personal experience with them, but I've noticed in reviews some people complaining about the neck warping within a year (make sure your register it for the lifetime warranty Epiphone supposedly provides)

Congrats and enjoy.

The climate here in the UK has been kind to my guitars for over 40 years now. I do hope that this one doesn't prove to be the one exception. As for lifetime warranty - la de da de da ho ho ho !!!! No chance this side of the pond