The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Silly Question - Paranoia Alert (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473772)

rjbee 06-18-2017 11:16 AM

Silly Question - Paranoia Alert

Has anyone ever noticed a change in their acoustic tone (unamplified) after installing a K&K pickup. In other words does the mere presence of the K&K transducers have any effect on the unamplified tone. I plan on having one installed in my Martin HD 28 which sounds incredible now unamplified.

Vancebo 06-18-2017 11:38 AM

I have had K and K's installed as well as Dazzos and Trance which are also attached to the bridge plate. I can tell of no discernible change in my acoustic tone. Go, and do not fret, unless you are playing your guitar of course.

auggie242 06-18-2017 11:55 AM

I have 3 guitars with K&K pickups installed. I have noticed

zero
zilch
zip
nada

changes in tone.

pieterh 06-18-2017 11:20 PM

Same here, installed Pure Minis in 5 guitars, 3 of which we own, and never had any issues with unamplified sound. In fact, the first installation was to deal with the fact that I'd damaged the shielding on a Fishman Matrix UST when changing saddle - I took the opportunity to try out the Pure Mini and haven't looked back since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Jelly 06-19-2017 05:21 AM

Impossible.

SoCalSurf 06-19-2017 06:43 AM

I have a K&K mini in three of my guitars and have had no such experience. Paranoia wins! :)

dogdog49 06-19-2017 02:50 PM

K&K installation makes no discernible difference to the unamplified sound. Boy would I like to make a large bet with someone who believes it does and that they can consistently hear it in a blind A/B test.

rjbee 06-20-2017 08:27 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I just found THE acoustic guitar for me after years of searching, a 2012 HD 28MP, and the tone is exactly what I wanted. Just didn't want anything to change the mojo I've got now.

JayBee1404 06-20-2017 11:06 AM

None whatsoever. I have K&K Pure Minis in every instrument (apart from the Strat, of course!).

6L6 06-20-2017 11:15 AM

All eight of my acoustics have K&K's installed. Zero change in acoustic tone.

martingitdave 06-20-2017 01:08 PM

K&K Pure Mini makes no discernible difference. I have used pickups that do degrade acoustic tone, but the K&K is not one of them. Note, that it will preclude you from installing other more sensitive pickups in the future (i.e. Trance). So, if this is your lifetime guitar, and you want the best pickup available, think twice before glueing in the K&K.

JayBee1404 06-20-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 5381128)
K&K Note, that it will preclude you from installing other more sensitive pickups in the future (i.e. Trance). So, if this is your lifetime guitar, and you want the best pickup available, think twice before glueing in the K&K.

Why will it 'preclude you from installing other, more sensitive pickups in the future'? If the contacts are glued in using the superglue supplied with the pickup, they can be removed by popping them off using a razor-blade or a chisel. Not quite as simple as removing a UST, but perfectly possible.

If, as was the case with one of my guitars, the contacts are glued in using a different adhesive, it may be a bit more difficult to remove them. In the case of my guitar, the person who installed the K&K had epoxied the contacts in, and the luthier who removed it (long story!) had a great deal of trouble, and eventually had to use heat to get them off the bridgeplate.

rjbee 06-20-2017 01:56 PM

If it ever happens that I need a better pickup, I'll go mic'd.

martingitdave 06-20-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee1404 (Post 5381169)
Why will it 'preclude you from installing other, more sensitive pickups in the future'? If the contacts are glued in using the superglue supplied with the pickup, they can be removed by popping them off using a razor-blade or a chisel. Not quite as simple as removing a UST, but perfectly possible.

If, as was the case with one of my guitars, the contacts are glued in using a different adhesive, it may be a bit more difficult to remove them. In the case of my guitar, the person who installed the K&K had epoxied the contacts in, and the luthier who removed it (long story!) had a great deal of trouble, and eventually had to use heat to get them off the bridgeplate.

Good question. Although you can remove the piezo, the super glue soaks into the wood fibers of the bridge plate and makes it unusable for Trance pickups. No sure if that also applies to Dazzo. That may, or may not, be a consideration for some folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SalFromChatham 06-21-2017 03:00 AM

I have a k&k in my HD28, and you would not know it.

Enjoy!