The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Alvarez ACM50 condensor mic

Hey all,

My Alvarez AJ60SC comes with the System 600T MKII that has an auxiliary input with its own level control for the optional ASP50 Mk II soundhole pickup or ACM50 condenser mic. I am planning on getting the condenser mic, but I was wondering if anyone has tried the aux condenser mic or soundhole pickup and what your thoughts might be about them?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM

Hi, Chris, I asked basically the same question maybe a month ago, and no one responded. Hopefully some folks will share their experiences with you. How do you like the AJ60SC? My wife is wanting to try the PJ85SC.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

You might want to visit here:

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/messageboard/

Regards....Kabookie-san
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Salieri View Post
Hi, Chris, I asked basically the same question maybe a month ago, and no one responded. Hopefully some folks will share their experiences with you. How do you like the AJ60SC? My wife is wanting to try the PJ85SC.
I'm going to order the ACM50 tomorrow for my AD62SC. I've been trying to find an internal mic and didn't realize that Alvarez offered this one for their guitars with the 600T MKII preamp.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:48 PM

Mark, please post your findings once you get a chance to work with the mic. I'm still debating which one might work best in either of my wife's 12s.

Chris, did you get the condenser mic yet? If so, how did it work out for you?

TIA!

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 03-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Hi,
I had an MF-80C with the 600T MkII and used the condenser mic from Alvarez. I had trouble finding a good position for the mic, and then had terrible distortion when the signal was up loud. I had better luck modifying an I-beam pickup to plug into the Aux jack on the preamp. The signal wasn't as strong, but it didn't distort and sounded pretty good. I ended up selling the guitar with the ACM-50 mic to a friend. He has switched the whole pickup system to a LR Baggs Element onboard system and likes that much better(!). They now also make the soundhole pickup (ASP-50 MKII) for the 600T MKII system. I actually like the sound of the mag pickup better to add body to the sound. If you're having trouble finding either pickup, try Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta. They have a website and carry both types.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Hey Antonio,

No I havent had a chance to get one yet. I did find out that I can have it ordered by a local guitar store, but I havent done it yet.

Hey Mindless, please be sure to post your impressions once you try yours out.

I plan on using my guitar for home recording so I'm not too wooried about feedback from playing too loud, like if I were gigging with it. I just want a quick easy way to get a decent sound into my computer.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 AM

I'll report back after I install the ACM50. By the way, the Alvarez manual for that pickup warns users to set the level control to -20db. If it is set to 0db it may cause distortion.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:02 AM

I got the ACM50 today. I ordered it Monday afternoon from Maple Street Guitars. I originally called my local store where I had recently bought the Alvarez AD62SC. When I bought it, they never mentioned that I could get a condenser mic from Alvarez for the preamp. So, I asked them if they could acquire one. They said they'd check with their supplier. Three days later, they hadn't checked yet. They suggested I search the web.

I called Maple Street Guitars on Monday afternoon, and it arrived today. It sounds very nice. I can adjust / blend the amount of mic and piezo, then control that with the master volume on the built-in preamp. The sound is incredibly acoustic with great depth of tone. No harshness whatsoever. I would HIGHLY recommend Maple Street Guitars and the ACM50!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 AM

any sound clips available?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
any sound clips available?
Gee, no - not yet. Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can do.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Found some nice sound clips

I found these sound clips on a forum. I thought everyone might like to hear....

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=190484
Old 02-10-2008, 03:59 AM

ccarnucci, I have been playing my AJ60SC with the ACM50 for over a year now, and I love it! You have to use a feedback buster, or the mic will do a number on evryone's ears. If you go to my profile on myspace, the 1st 4 songs were recorded with the ACM50 and the built-in piezo. http://www.myspace.com/chrisvipond

I just received my Wechter Pathmaker guitar, and it has the condensor mic, a piezo, and a soundhole single coil. It sounds absolutely AMAZING plugged in. Addictive. Seriously. Best $449 I ever spent on an acoustic, and I developed quite a relationship with my AJ60SC over the last 4 years that I've owned it! You can hear the Wechter here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1VCg-cjCLg

Awesome guitar. Oh, and the Alvarez is also an awesome guitar, but it was getting bulky during the bands 3-4 hours marathons! The Wechter also has a double cutaway which gives me unimpeded access to the 19th fret. I named my AJ60SC Jumbellina. She is in semi-retirment now. She is reserved for truly unplugged occasions.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 AM

Great to hear, I just got the Alvarez AD60SC and absolutely love it. I am glad that everyone is enjoying the AJ series too. Thanks for all your feedback on the pickup system, I might have to look into it.
Fender MIM Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Y'all have posted some great info & sound clips, thanks! I think that we'll start with the ACM50 in the Alvarez PJ85-12SCDVS (my wife doesn't play the AJ60-12much since she got the PJ85).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion