The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Cedar Larrivee

Just a general question, but does Larrivee make any guitars with a cedar top? I received their new catalog, but don't see any cedar-topped guitars listed which seems odd. Do they do any custom order guitars that are cedar? Seems like their LSV-11 would have a cedar top available, being designed as a fingerstle guitar, but not according to the catalog. Found a store that stocks Larrivee (finally), so I'm going to try a couple out this weekend.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:37 AM

Can't exactly remember why, but Larrivee quit cedar tops. Bummer as my cedar topped guitar is one of my favs. I guess Jim Tozier will never own a new Larrivee

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 02-15-2007, 10:47 AM

They've done a few, but very few cedar over the years. Jean Larrivee loves Canadian spruce and has lots of it of the highest quality. I think it's one of the things that makes a Larrivee a Larrivee.

Tim
Old 02-15-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Cedar Larrivee

I've got one, which was made in 2003 in their California plant. I believe it was one of the last ones made in cedar through their now discontinued "custom shop". It's a LV-10 and it's one of my favorite guitars for fingerstyle...right up there with my Ryan Nightingale, and my two Applegate SJs, all of which have cedar tops. The Larrivee was actually the second cedar top they built for me. The first one had a ding in the top which they finished over before shipping it out and shortly after receiving it, the bridge started lifting, so I sent it back and they built me another one. My cedar topped LV-10 is the best sounding Larrivee I've played...and I've played many. Too bad that Jean gave up on it as an optional tone wood.

Vic
Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjtulsa View Post
Just a general question, but does Larrivee make any guitars with a cedar top? I received their new catalog, but don't see any cedar-topped guitars listed which seems odd. Do they do any custom order guitars that are cedar? Seems like their LSV-11 would have a cedar top available, being designed as a fingerstle guitar, but not according to the catalog. Found a store that stocks Larrivee (finally), so I'm going to try a couple out this weekend.
Wildwood music in Cochocton, Oh had one featured in the last couple days but I don't see it listed in their inventory any longer. It was an L09 Rosewood with red cedar top. It also had a pickguard which makes me think it was a fairly new guitar.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 PM

Hello, One and All--I have several Larrivee OM guitars with cedar tops; I bought these instruments in the early to mid 1990s, maybe a little later, when Larrivee himself was still intimately involved with the construction. These are just killer guitars, some of the best-sounding and best-playing instruments I have ever run across, and I own many, many fine guitars by some of the best luthiers out there. The woods on these guitars are just impeccable, as is the workmanship. I would describe the sound of these cedar-top Larrivees as silky-smooth, very lush and rich. I'm fairly sure Larrivee isn't making any more cedar-topped guitars, which is really a shame, because these instruments have an entirely different vibe than spruce-topped models, as far as I can discern. Best, Clipper
Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 PM

...he (and his entire family) still is intimately involved on a daily basis from wood procurement, milling, curing, and building. That's another feature that makes Larrivee a Larrivee - though they are not complete hand-builds, a family member (if not Jean or Matthew himself) had a hand in building each one. Plus, they are the only company that builds guitars in house at all steps of the process - from tree to delivered finished product. Their mill supplies other builders in addition to their own. Can't say that for the other major North American builders.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Cedar Larrivee's

I doubt that you will see many cedar top Larrivees but as others have posted they are out there but none of late. The LSV-11 would have been an ideal candidate for a cedar top or Engelmann even.

The good news is that there are some definite options if you like the Larrivee sound and want a cedar top. I would suggest Morgan Guitars and Northwood, both of which are small builders and former Larrivee protoge's....hence they are closely related sonically to Larrivees.

Pat Mc
Old 02-16-2007, 03:29 AM

I have a very rare/nice Larry in cedar walnut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion