The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Phosphor Bronze versus 80/20 Bronze

Why do many people here say that phosphor bronze strings sound brighter than 80/20 bronze strings? My experience on every guitar I've owned (not including my Taylor as I've only used PBs on it) is that it is the other way around. The PBs are *more mellow* than the 80/20s. Guitar players I know in real life, as well as knowledgeable sales people, confirm what I've stated here.

Now, I'm not trying to start any fights. I'm just curious as to what's going on.

Ovation CSE24
Old 05-14-2006, 11:15 AM

I just picked up a 6-string pack of Earthwood (?) 80-20's, medium light to try on the Omega MJ (I just found the mediums a bit to heavy, and hard on my aging fingers! ) Anyway, I would tend to agree--the 80/20's have been as bright to my ear...or durn near close. As I mentioned in another post on strings, seems like we're always trying to find the ONE SET OF STRINGS that meets all our needs. I believe this to be the impossible dream...I have a number of brand/composition loyalties for over 30+years of playing. I've never found "ONE" be-all, do-all. Must my 2 cents.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 05-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIGoAgain
Why do many people here say that phosphor bronze strings sound brighter than 80/20 bronze strings? My experience on every guitar I've owned (not including my Taylor as I've only used PBs on it) is that it is the other way around. The PBs are *more mellow* than the 80/20s. Guitar players I know in real life, as well as knowledgeable sales people, confirm what I've stated here.

Now, I'm not trying to start any fights. I'm just curious as to what's going on.
I think you'll find the general consensus on this forum and the UMGF find phosphor bronze strings to be warmer / less bright sounding than 80/20's. In fact, I was never a fan of Elixers (80/20 nanos) because they were too bright to my ears. I gave them a try when the PB version came out, and they are now on all my guitars - much warmer sounding than the nanos!

However, when PB's first go on, they may have a little more metallic sound for the first day or so. Some say they are brighter because of this, but they seem to forget they were changing old dead strings that had no ring to them.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Eric Skye

I feel like the 80/20 have less midrange to them. The have that classic smiley face eq curve to them. The PB's sound bigger to me, with a more pronounced lower midrange. They also feel a little stiffer. I go back and fourth, but mostly I prefer the pb's.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:31 PM

I kind of liken it to the Rosewood vs. Mahogany thing, in that there are very different interpretations or definitions of what sounds "bright". If you follow my description below, I liken PB's to rosewood and 80/20's to mahogany.

I have some rosewood dreads, and they are generally a bit bassier than their mahogany brother, and generally have more overtones, ring out longer, and to me are brighter through the trebles. The mahogany guitar is clearer throughout the register, with a more fundamental tone, which I think a lot of people describe as "bright". If you really listed to someone else play the different guitars, the rosewood guitars are brighter and sparkle more, but have more of a "wash" of sound. They are also interestingly enough, warmer through the mids and bass. I think the same is true of PB's vs. 80/20's.

The PB's have more warmth, brightness and overtones. The 80/20's have more clarity, a more fundamental tone, more bite and cut to the sound. But they aren't brighter, at least not when they settle down after an hour or two of playing a new set. The difference between clarity, fundamental tone, and cut of both Mahogany and 80/20 strings and the overtones, warmth, brightness and sustain of Rosewood and the PB's is something I hear described in a lot of ways and often the terms are swapped around. And different people hear different things and certainly describe what they hear differently.

I put PB's on my Rosewood guitars and 80/20's on my Mahogany to accentuate the qualities and differences of the different woods.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:53 PM
The Middle Way

I have found 80/20 to be a brighter than PB.

Guitars: Too many, but current favorite: 2006 Santa Cruz D-12

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Blog: soundr
Old 05-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc007
I have found 80/20 to be a brighter than PB.
I agree
Old 05-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5
I agree
Me too...80/20 definitely brighter.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-14-2006, 11:04 PM

d-red

Wow, describing tone is a challenge, but for my ears you really nailed it. I prefer the Elixer nano 80/20s.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 AM

Reading Chris's (d-red) words on tone reminds me of listening to a talented sommelier describe wine ...translation from one sense to another through words!

I like the "PB for rosewood; 80/20 for mahogany" concept, and will give it a try ...when I've saved enough for my D18GE!

Do you use Elixir's, Chris?

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-red
...I put PB's on my Rosewood guitars and 80/20's on my Mahogany to accentuate the qualities and differences of the different woods.
Hi D-red...
I like your comparisons.

For me it's a top wood thing...& I believe top wood determines tone more than strings.

Around here it's 80/20 on Cedar tops and Phosphor Bronze on Spruce. My Italian Spruce - being mellower than Sitka - works well with either.

For recording, I pretty much run 80/20 on everything I can because of the brightness, and more fundamental you described.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM

So are the "original" Elixers (Polyweb and Nannoweb) 80/20? The package is not marked. The "new" pb Nannowebs are clearly marked.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:51 PM

Bnelson, I don't know for a fact whether or not the original Elixer's composition is 80/20, but yes, we've it to mean the same thing here.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson
So are the "original" Elixers (Polyweb and Nannoweb) 80/20? The package is not marked. The "new" pb Nannowebs are clearly marked.
Hi BSNelson...
Yes. Standard Poly and Nano-web are 80/20.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-15-2006, 10:31 PM

Thanks folks for the compliments on my writing, I had actually thougth it a bit rambling when I wrote it, so the feedback is nice.

Larry, it is mostly about the top wood, I agree--certainly more than strings. But not all. I played a lot with the same top woods and different back and sides. I have continued to do so since I bought my guitars, and there is a marked difference in the sound with different sides/back. Not as much as tops, no, but a real difference. Either way, different-sounding guitars are enhanced by different string types.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion