The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Englemans vs. Sitka vs. Adirondack
Englemann 49 44.14%
Sitka 35 31.53%
Adirondack 27 24.32%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Engleman vs. Sitka - what's the difference, is there a difference?

Engleman vs. Sitka - what's the difference, is there a difference? What do these two woods bring to the table besides one is more expensive than the other?....thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 AM

I like Engelmann. The look is great and it handles all the strumming and fingerpicking I do just fine.

I am not sure there is a sound difference. The milky white look is fantastic when new and it ages nicely to a light yellowish gold.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:22 AM

Smile

I like Engelman Spruce for finger picking and Sitka Spruce for strumming. I think Adirondeck (German Spruce) is somewhere between the first two, but it is more expensive.
612C COTTEN little sister
XXMC i'm sensitive
Old 03-21-2006, 09:30 AM

i prefer engleman. to me its a much more clear and brilliant sounding wood. BUT it also depends on the grain of the wood. if sitka has a nice tight grain then it sounds very nice, however usually only the 800 series is privilaged enough to have that nice tight sitka. Engleman is overall just much better.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 AM

I find myself leaning towards Englemann more often than not. Sitka is very bright and punchy, much more so than Englemann. Adirondack is, as others have said, a compromise between the two. It's great if you want to pay for it.

2005 Taylor W-14ce
2000 Taylor 514ce
2002 Taylor 310 (sold)
Old 03-21-2006, 09:38 AM

I have never played an Engleman topped guitar but tfrom the pictures I have seen it looks like a beautiful wood. I really like the pictures of Engleman on the R.Taylors.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3307doug
Engleman vs. Sitka - what's the difference, is there a difference? What do these two woods bring to the table besides one is more expensive than the other?....thanks!
Hi Doug...
I don't see it as a contest, or an arbitrary decision. I also noted you left out European Spruces - German/Italian/Swiss/European and Carpathian.

Depending on the use for, and desired tone of, a guitar different woods (especially in the hands of skilled luthiers) produce distinct tone. It may be debated by some whether there is a difference between spruce and/or spruce. If the Kronbauer (Koa/Sitka) and Bashkin (Myrtlewood/Italian Spruce) hanging in my living room are indicitave then yes there is a difference.

More to the point, I've played quite a group Bashkin OMs topped with Sitka, Italian Spruce, and Adirondack and each is recognizable in Michael Bashkin's capable hands. Each is unique from the others, and distinguishable from each other by species.

So my answer to your question is ''it depends on what the guitar is being employed for.'' And since I don't see it as a choice one has to make outside the framework of the usage, I cannot select a box at the top.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-21-2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: more & better info
Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I would place adirondack on the other end of the spectrum. the best for strumming. sitka is between adirondack and englemann. just a generality

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-21-2006, 11:46 AM

I love Englemann for its warmth and responsive nature.

I love Adirondack for its punch, power, and clarity

I love Sitka as its neither Ad nor Englemann and has a voice of its own.

All things being equal of course including generalizations. My favorites comprise one of each.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM

I prefer adirondack (no, not German spruce...red spruce) because it matches well with my playing style. I also happen to like the character it gives a top. In fact, the reason I don't lean toward Engelmann is that the grain is TOO tight and I don't really care for the whiteness of the wood.

I realize that most consumers prefer a tight grain spacing and a pale color in their spruce, but I'm definitely outside the norm on this one

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-21-2006, 01:00 PM

I like all 3 but since I have a sitka top on my guitar, I gotta say it is very nice. That being said, my next guitar will be engelmann.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:18 PM

I've had nothing but Sitka on my guitars-until last June, when the Omega delivered by Kevin Gallagher came with German Spruce. I understand it is similar to Adirondack--which suits me just fine!

Yes, it is taking awhile longer to "open up," but to me, the tone and timbre is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 03-21-2006, 01:46 PM

Check out http://www.dreamguitars.com/new_instruments.htm , and http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned_instruments.htm . There you can hear samples of different guitars with different tops and different backs and sides.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:57 PM

My 710 is Engleman and it sounds great. My D-28 Marquis is Adirondack and it sounds great too. I think it is tough to compare the two guitars because they are built differently, but if I can try I'd say that the engleman is smoother, has good cut (in a jam) but not as much headroom (ie you can bang that Martin a lot harder and the tone doesn't break up). The Adirondack has that classic bluegrass "pop" and likes to be played hard, but still delivers with a softer touch.
My 710 is about 18 months old and the top has started to get some color to it, which is very nice. I'm looking forward to it aging as it seems to get better looking with time.

Anyway, both nice pieces of wood - you just gotta go with what sounds best to your ears (and not anybody else's).

Dan
Old 03-21-2006, 03:06 PM

Taylor really did it right for the top of my walnut. The grain is tight around the soundhole but gradually spreads out. I don't think it's the prettiest piece of englemann I've ever seen but then again it seems to be doing what it's suppose to do and I think it does it very well.
'69 Les Paul Deluxe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion