PDA

View Full Version : Good acoustic strumming songs?

Pages : [1] 2

cruz610
10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
I need some ideas here folks...artists would be good, specific songs would be even better. I need some strumming practice (mainly a classical guitarist with too many acoustic/pop loves to stay only classical) and while I have a couple songs that are being my guide, I would love some other suggestions. Thanks :)

stratokatsu
10-13-2005, 02:02 PM
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's so long it might be the only strumming song you need to know.

NELANB
10-13-2005, 02:13 PM
CSN Southern Cross, Bob Segar Night Moves, Sam Bush Song for Roy or Same ol River, Van Morrison Brown eyed Girl. Neil Young Harvest Moon or Unknown Legend, ABB Melissa, Tracy Chapman Talkin bout a Revolution , America Sister Golden Hair or Ventura Highway,Nirvanas(version) The Man Who Sold the World.. I could go on forever. Songs by J Cash John Mellemcamp, G Dead, etc, etc etc. :D

moo cow
10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
get your hands on "the eagles: greatest hits". it has a blue album cover with some kind of winged logo in the center. if you can play G,D, and C you can strum the whole album, right along with the CD. you'll then have a peaceful easy feeling about your strumming struggles!! good luck

anthonyc007
10-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Eagles, Beatles...lots of choices!

semolinapilcher
10-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Some true classics:

You Are My Sunshine
Good Night Irene
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
This Land is Your Land
I've Been Working on the Railroad
In the Jailhouse Now

The reason I mention these is that their "boilerplate" nature will help you acclimate to strumming, but at the same time there's a very definite reason why they don't fade away over time.

MissouriPicker
10-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Johnny Cash
Bob Seger
Emmylou Harris
Kate Wolf
Anything of a Cowboy style.
Gordon Lightfoot
Don Williams

Check the internet Guitar Tab sites and you'll find thousands of songs.

gteague
10-13-2005, 08:23 PM
nearly anything by csny or cat stevens?

and i concur on the 'edmund fitzgerald'. two other candidates in that vein would be 'rocky raccoon' or 'lily, rosemary & the jack of hearts'.

/guy

lcogginz
10-13-2005, 08:50 PM
City of New Orleans is another good one (Steve Goodman's song, as done by Arlo Guthrie).

RONB
10-14-2005, 05:27 AM
Let's not forget the great songs of John Denver. I would suggest DVD 3 by Pete Huttlinger (Homespun) to learn the strumming patterns. It's a great workout.

RonB

sterling
10-14-2005, 08:42 AM
There are a lot of John Prine tunes that can be strummed as well:
Dear Abby
The Great Compromise
Sam Stone
Paradise
and the list will keep going

Fountains of Wayne
Valley Winter Song
Hey Julie

And one of my favorites by Commander Cody (Bill Kirchen can Rock a Tele) is Down to Seeds and Stems Again Blues

Oh Yeah Dr. Hooks Cover of the Rolling Stone can be strummed on an acoustic and be pretty entertaining.

Lots of options......good luck

HanSoo417
10-14-2005, 09:02 AM
wich one of these are intermediate or advanced? I play alot woship songs and thats almost all strumming so i would like to say i've at least gotten the basics down. Now i wanna advance and play stuff other than worhip music. Not that worship is boring or anything. just want more variaity.

Choirboy
10-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Don McLean's "American Pie" is another good strumming song.
You might want to check out some of the songs Betty Lou has on her website for strumming practice: http://bettylou.zzruss.com/

Bob Womack
10-14-2005, 09:25 AM
"Fire on High" by the Electric Light Orchestra, from their Face the Music album. That'll make you strum.

Bob

samchar
10-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Strumming practice? Well, how about some Tom Petty? "Into the Great Wide Open", "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "Free Fallin'", "Learning to Fly", and "Walls" come to mind. But, there are countless others.

When it comes to strumming on acoustic, I'm also partial to Van Morrison and the trinity of midwestern Johns: Prine, Hiatt, and Mellencamp. All of these folks have deep catalogs of first-rate strummers. Someone else has already mentioned Neil Young, which I'll second.

NELANB
10-14-2005, 09:37 AM
"Fire on High" by the Electric Light Orchestra, from their Face the Music album. That'll make you strum.

Bob
so will Crazy on You by Heart.or Pinball Wizard by the Who

Sage97
10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Strumming practice? Well, how about some Tom Petty? "Into the Great Wide Open", "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "Free Fallin'", "Learning to Fly", and "Walls" come to mind. But, there are countless others.

When it comes to strumming on acoustic, I'm also partial to Van Morrison and the trinity of midwestern Johns: Prine, Hiatt, and Mellencamp. All of these folks have deep catalogs of first-rate strummers. Someone else has already mentioned Neil Young, which I'll second.
Excellent suggestions!

I would try Jack and Diane from Mellencamp.

Don't forget The Doobies - lots of hammer on/pull off strumming techniques.

Good luck!

flaggerphil
10-14-2005, 12:37 PM
"I'm Crying" done by both The Animals and Tom Petty.
"Tangled Up In Blue" Bob Dylan
"Feel A Whole Lot Better" The Byrds
"A Day In The Life" and "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" The Beatles
"Mr. Bojangles"

Tons of them out there.

Andromeda
10-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Many great choices out there...

Here is a favorite of mine

Me and Julio Down By The School Yard ~ Paul Simon

mapple
10-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Songs by Ritchie Havens.

Tom S.
10-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Excellent suggestions!

I would try Jack and Diane from Mellencamp.

Don't forget The Doobies - lots of hammer on/pull off strumming techniques.

Good luck!
So why did you put any of these songs on the list. What makes a good strumming song? How do you know when you are a good strummer? Hammerons and pulloffs? What else? What really distinguishes the best of these recommendations?

Sage97
10-15-2005, 01:33 AM
So why did you put any of these songs on the list. What makes a good strumming song? How do you know when you are a good strummer? Hammerons and pulloffs? What else? What really distinguishes the best of these recommendations?

I recommended one song only but to answer your first question, the thread originator requested songs for strumming practice. Mellencamp strums Jack and Diane, it's easy and it sounds great to me, hence the recommendation. Does anyone play it in fingerstyle?

What makes a good strumming song? Not really sure how to answer that question but any song that sounds good strummed would be my answer. Are there any songs that sound bad strummed? Try strumming Croce's "Time in a Bottle" or Kansas' "Dust in the wind." Do you think they sound as good strummed? If so, then they're great strumming songs to you. If not, then they're not good strumming songs. :)

I meant that any song that sounds great strummed makes for a good strumming song. I recommended the Doobies because they have lots of strummed songs that sound great to me. They're not particularly hard to play. Simple hammer ons and pull offs make for catchy melodies and hooks making them fun to practice on.

Awaiting your response.

freestyle
10-15-2005, 07:47 AM
My guitar teacher has had me doing different strumming rhythms. He says it's standard guitar teacher stuff. There must be books out there you can buy to help you. PM me if you want a few of these rhythms in strumming-tab. I will dig out my old lesson books and copy a few for you. They didn't come with songs, but will still help you on your way.
Marty

815C
10-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Drivin' My Life Away by Eddie Rabbitt

CowboyRoss
10-16-2005, 11:06 AM
If you want a good workout to improve right hand coordination, try playing bluegrass -- practically any Ricky Skaggs number.

And one other good strumming song that comes to mind is "Breakfast at Tiffany's". Lots of opportunity for rhythmic expression.

chasedonnelly
10-16-2005, 12:27 PM
I'll probably get bashed for this... but why not play dave matthews songs... the strumming patterns vary throughout the songs and due to the constant necesity to mute strings and what not, it makes for very good practice... try playing warehouse or tripping billies the way dave does when playing accoustic solo shows... i guarantee you will be frustrated for some time :)

EnFuego
10-16-2005, 01:29 PM
I'll probably get bashed for this... but why not play dave matthews songs... the strumming patterns vary throughout the songs and due to the constant necesity to mute strings and what not, it makes for very good practice... try playing warehouse or tripping billies the way dave does when playing accoustic solo shows... i guarantee you will be frustrated for some time :)

I thought about suggesting some Dave Matthews songs as well. Some are a lot of fun to play. Try warehouse, and billies like chase suggested, also some easier songs like crash, #41, gravedigger, spoon, grey street. Some others like Stay or Leave and two step are good too. He also has some other songs like So much to say, and the stone that are fun to play.

Eastmeadow Mike
10-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Dave is very fun to play, but I really believe you stick to the basics. I don;t think his songs sound very good at all if you do not learn those chords and strum them perfectly.

Neil Young taught me how to play guitar, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the other suggestions.

NELANB
10-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Dave is very fun to play, but I really believe you stick to the basics. I don;t think his songs sound very good at all if you do not learn those chords and strum them perfectly.

Neil Young taught me how to play guitar, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the other suggestions.
I agree it may be better to start with some simpler tunes. Daves strumming can be a little idiosyncratic at times. Not bashing Dave. I like Dave Mathews. :D

anthonyc007
10-16-2005, 03:27 PM
A great strumming song: "Sugar Mountain" by Neil Young. It is nice because it uses simple chords highlighted with hammer-on bass notes. Really, really fun song to play.