PDA

View Full Version : Takamine F360S

Demosthenes
06-10-2005, 06:19 PM
I was in the local music store today and spotted this very interesting guitar. From a distance it looked like a Martin D28, which is something I never see up here in my neck of the woods. So as I got up to it I realized it was a Takamine with a very Martin like headstock. Picked it up, strummed it for a bit and really liked it. Did a little research and it looks like these were produced between 1976 - 1981 or so. The story behind the guitar it seems according to some info on Harmony Central (taken with a grain of salt of course) is that Martin threatened a lawsuit if Takamine continued to produce the guitar due to it looking a lot like a D28. True or not, I think I might make an offer on it tomorrow! Anyone out there remember this model?

Here is a link to it on the discontinued models section of the Takamine site:

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1066&sid=351

SMan
06-10-2005, 07:40 PM
I was in the local music store today and spotted this very interesting guitar. From a distance it looked like a Martin D28, which is something I never see up here in my neck of the woods. So as I got up to it I realized it was a Takamine with a very Martin like headstock. Picked it up, strummed it for a bit and really liked it. Did a little research and it looks like these were produced between 1976 - 1981 or so. The story behind the guitar it seems according to some info on Harmony Central (taken with a grain of salt of course) is that Martin threatened a lawsuit if Takamine continued to produce the guitar due to it looking a lot like a D28. True or not, I think I might make an offer on it tomorrow! Anyone out there remember this model?

Here is a link to it on the discontinued models section of the Takamine site:

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1066&sid=351

I have 3 "Lawsuits". All good guitars for what they are. The "S" denotes a solid spruce top. The back and sides are laminate. I upgraded the tuners on My F360S to Grovers.

Good Luck,

Steve

Demosthenes
06-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the response. Three of 'em huh? Looks like I will have 1 at least.

By the way...that is quite the collection you have! :eek: Very nice!

Doug

Jeff M
06-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Martin DID threaten to sue if Tak didn't change that headstock.

Rsingleton
06-10-2005, 10:25 PM
I had a slightly different model that I bought in about 81. It had all wood binding and inlay and the Martin style headstock. It was the first really nice acoustic I owned, and its sound was improving as it got older. Unfortunately, I loaned it to a "friend," who promptly pawned it before he left town. By the time I found out what had happened to it, it couldn't be located.

soundnpix
06-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Lawsuit? What lawsuit?

Takamine F-385
http://home.comcast.net/~tconroy/Tak12.jpg

35fingerpicker
06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I sold a dozen or so of that model(as well as quite a few of the other models) in the shop I had in the late '70s. They also made Guild "copies" that actually sounded very similar to Guilds. I especially liked the F395S which was a copy of the F512; I wish I hadn't sold the one I "retained" when I closed the shop. These guitars are/were very nice but they weren't the real thing, but they had a mojo that current Taks lack.

docwatsonfan
06-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I had a '79 F360.
It had the serial number just inside the soundhole on an actual bracing..... ink stamped I believe.......
first two digits were 79.......
It played very nice......and as I remember it had a small neck, like maybe a 1 5/8" nut width or so....
I was very comfortable with the neck with my small hands, but was addicted to selling on ebay for a while there so I listed it and off it went :)

pastorharry
06-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey Tom, is that my old 12 string??I also had a Tak 360SD (sunburst solid spruce top), that was a great guitar. It's now for sale at HiStrung music in Leavenworth,Washington for a very reasonable price if anyones looking for a good dread! God bless, Pastor Harry

(Now running on 3 Martin 6 strings,a Guild Jumbo 12, and 2 banjos,an Ome and a Deering ). GAS free-t e m p o r a i l y......

jayhawk
06-11-2005, 08:36 PM
I still do have a F395s (copy of the Guild f512). You're right, they do have something that the new ones don't. I think mine will out match up very well with a new Guild and hold up pretty well against a classic Guild F512. It would take a very special 12 string to make me give it up. (can anyone say W65)

Jack

Demosthenes
06-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Well, I picked up the guitar today. I got it for a steal, so I'm pretty happy. No it doesn't quite sound like a D-28, but it is a nice contrast to my Taylor. Yes, it has a very small neck and it is a breeze to play. It is in amazingly good shape, just needed a little wipe down and new strings. I haven't owned more than one guitar in a few years so I feel a bit guilty, but it was such a unique find for where I am. Most of the used guitars I see up here are Johnson, Jasmine, Ibanez, and Fenders. Time to go play!

Fstpicker
06-12-2005, 12:00 AM
The "lawsuit" thing is a myth. Not true and didn't happen. Nothing more than a rumor.

If I can find the link from the UMGF archives, I'll bring it up here. Someone close up in the Martin organization clarified this issue as I recall. Unfortunately, many of the old threads have been lost due to last week's collossal EZ Board crash. :cry:

I also believe Mike Markure from Takamine verified this on the AG forum some time back. Wish I could find the link there also.

Jeff

aylorTay anFay
06-12-2005, 01:54 AM
Well, I picked up the guitar today. I got it for a steal, so I'm pretty happy. No it doesn't quite sound like a D-28, but it is a nice contrast to my Taylor. Yes, it has a very small neck and it is a breeze to play. It is in amazingly good shape, just needed a little wipe down and new strings. I haven't owned more than one guitar in a few years so I feel a bit guilty, but it was such a unique find for where I am. Most of the used guitars I see up here are Johnson, Jasmine, Ibanez, and Fenders. Time to go play!

Enjoy. Loved you in Kojak, by the way.

SMan
06-12-2005, 08:15 AM

Glad you like it Doug. After I had mine a few years I decided to strip the epoxy finish and re-finish it with Tru Oil and it really opened up the sound. It has been my favorite travel and camping guitar for almost 15 years.

Happy picking!

soundnpix
06-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey Tom, is that my old 12 string??

That's the one, Harry. Still enjoying it. Just pulled it out after watching the Eagles on TV the other night. The old Stella 12 is a little miffed though.