The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Yamaha guitar history

I own a Yamaha FG-300 that is my pride and joy, learned how to play on it and was owned by my dad. He used to play around alot in Nashville back in the 60's and 70's and he claims that there have been more then a few folks play that guitar in the studio and around.

Anyway, I have always wondered the history of those old Yamahas. I have played a few red labels that just sound great and look like crap! I like it when they look beat up but sound better then all my buddies guitars. So the red labels are Nippon Gahki's right? What does that mean and when did they change? Just wondering if anyone else knows much about this or if there is a website to check out. Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 05:12 PM

I used to have a link for Yamaha serial number histories. I can't find it now but it might be on the Yamaha site.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...r/history.html

I found it. Try the Serial Number Wizard link.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...RODUCT,00.html

http://www.marklyn.info/
Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 PM

Thumbs up red labels

The original red label Yamahas were their best, and most sought after guitars. Nippon Gakki was the original Japanese plant and these guitars seemed to borrow the best from both Martin and Gibson,combining the best facets from both.When the company moved production to Taiwan the quality slipped,now they are made in China,and getting better again,however nothing beats those old battleships with the red labels. I have a 1971 FG-230 12 string that I can barely get my left hand around-the nut is almost 2", but what tone! I have Martin Marquis light strings on tuned down a step and a half,neck so thick, I can't barely get a capo around it,but it's like playing one of those old green cannons you see on the feild at Gettysburg!! God bless, Pastor Harry
Isaiah 38:20
Old 03-14-2005, 05:33 PM

BTW by the mid 70's the company moved it's operation to Taiwan,they have also orange labels, green labels, and white ones..but it's the reds you want to look for.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:44 PM

There is a single exception to the modern Yamaha rule. The guitar is a Yamaha CPX-15. Not the other CPX guitars though. The CPX-15 is as fine a guitar as I have played. They are a really odd standout among Yamaha guitars, apparently hand built at a different place from all their other guitars.

H2H
Old 03-14-2005, 05:51 PM

The LL-400/500 and LS-400/500 series guitars handmade in Japan are also very nice...

I had an LL-400 mahogany/spruce that was a superior instrument, and as good, if not better, than entry level Martins and Gibsons.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Default koa parlor

In bounty music on Maui there is a new Yamaha parlor model-solid Koa, sweet guitar. It's a limited edition, only 100 made. God bless, Pastor Harry
Old 03-14-2005, 08:03 PM

Bought a new FG-200 in 1973 as my first guitar to learn on. Keep it for 30 years. Sold it to a 12 year old kid who was tickled to get it. Made my heart glad.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:00 AM

Sugarlander, you're a true gentleman. I hope that young fellow enjoys his as much as I have enjoyed mine and I'msure you enjoyed yours. CUDOS to you both.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:04 PM

I was so bowled over by the first Yamaha AEX 1500 I ever played, I just had to have one of my own. One of the sweetest playing/sounding guitars I've ever wrapped my fingers around. And to think that ten years ago I said "Gibson's not the best guitar, it's the only guitar!" Talk about old school! I couldn't possibly have been more wrong!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I have a 1971 FG-230 12 string
I have a 1968 Yamaha FG-230 that is in remarkably good condition. I rarely play it, but it is a very sweet guitar. I also am a fan of the early "red label" models.

I have always been somewhat mystified about Yamaha guitars. The company actually produces some very nice high-end acoustic guitars, but for whatever reason has consistently done a poor job of marketing them here in the States. All we seem to see and hear about here are the lower-end models.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:45 PM

Quote:
There is a single exception to the modern Yamaha rule. The guitar is a Yamaha CPX-15. Not the other CPX guitars though. The CPX-15 is as fine a guitar as I have played. They are a really odd standout among Yamaha guitars, apparently hand built at a different place from all their other guitars.
I own two of these ( a CPX-15S and CPX-15N). They are awesome guitars. I am looking to deal one away if anyone is interested let me know
[email protected]
Old 03-16-2005, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlander
Bought a new FG-200 in 1973 as my first guitar to learn on. Keep it for 30 years. Sold it to a 12 year old kid who was tickled to get it. Made my heart glad.
I still have my old FG-200 that I bought new in '73. I still think it sounds good but only use it as a beater and to take out with me on winter days when it's
-20°.

Brian Mc.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:37 AM

I have owned a CPX-15 and a LL-500. The CPX-15 was my first decent acoustic guitar. I really enjoyed the guitar, well made, great tone, and great action. About that time, I got the "Taylor Bug" (now known to me as TAS) and it went toward a 414-CE. The LL-500, I bought used at a local shop. Man, it was very nice and quite under rated. This happened prior to Yamaha re-introducing the LL line. The LL-500 had great tone, quality workmanship, and great action. I just couldn't get used to playing the 1 11/16" nut width after only playing 1 3/4." I sold it to a friend of mine at church who was looking for another dread. He still has it and loves it! I would like to play one of the new LL's with a 1 3/4" nut. I was very pleased with the quality of both of these guitars.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Can someone please give me a quote?

I have one of the Red Label Nikkon Gakki Yamaha's that were previously discussed... it is an FG 110 model. It's in very good condition... no rust, clean, no real scratches or dings, new strings. Would one of you mind please giving me an estimate of what it might be worth for when I try to trade it in? I've seen them sold all over the net for various prices, but I want to know what it's true value is. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion