The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Trance Audio Acoustic Lens (The Amulet)

So I have a D45V that has no pup. I've been wanting to outfit it but haven't decided on THE system yet. I play lots of Neil Young style stuff. Plenty of palm muting and hammer ons and pull offs, loud strumming and flatpicking. I plan on playing some solo but mostly I gig in a band. I like my Fishman UST with the Aura on the HD28 in the band situation, and there's a Crowdster on the way for even more volume, but I own a 45 and want to use it for cool alt tunings and solo stuff.

Martin Vintage models utilize a through saddle and don't seem appropriate for a UST. I considered changing the bridge, but for solo, I'd like a more pure acoustic sound. I was close to buying the K&K but am concerned about the feedback. I thought about a Sunrise magnetic but want more acoustic in the tone.

A few months ago I read an article on Neil Young's system. I've always loved his sound. It is called FRAPS and is no longer manufactured. In typical Neil style, he acquired tons of used systems and raids them to keep his pups in working order. Then I found the modern day version of the FRAPS is the Trance Audio Acoustic Amulet. It utilizes Soundboard transducers but in a different way than a Feather or K&K Pure making it more resistent to feedback. Aerosmith is currently touring with the system in their Gibsons and the company claims that says plenty about their ability to play loud.

Does anyone on this list have experience with a Trance system? Would anyone care to learn about them and offer me some opinions?

http://www.tranceaudio.com/

Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 12:35 PM

hmmm.....sounds like something I should check out too.....
Old 02-20-2005, 04:55 PM

Go to http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...uitar.acoustic and do a search for "Trance Audio" or "Acoustic Lens". My understanding is that they can sound really good but need to be installed by someone who knows what they're doing.

You might also want to consider a dual pickup system, eg. a Sunrise in conjunction with the K&K - take the lows from the Sunrise and the highs from the K&K and blend the signals.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

The complete Trance "Amulet" system includes a preamp, which by my comparison is of higher audio quality than most acoustic guitar preamps out there (e.g., Baggs PADI, etc.). That has quite a bit to do with the nice sound. The pickups themselves should be installed by a pro, as placement is critical.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman
Go to http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...uitar.acoustic and do a search for "Trance Audio" or "Acoustic Lens". My understanding is that they can sound really good but need to be installed by someone who knows what they're doing.
Bevelman:

Thanks for the link. Plenty of great information there. That link also introduced me to http://www.stropes.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.cgi
Nothing but great things said about the Acoustic lens and the Amulet. The only negative seems to be installation. My plan is to send it to Trance for the installation so that should eliminate that issue.

Any other experiences with this system. I'm very surprised how little I've heard of this system considering how many pick-up systems are discussed here.

M
Old 02-22-2005, 05:40 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A hint on why people haven't spoken about it may be found on THIS page of their site (the price list). Audio products are heavily experiential products, meaning you don't really know whether you are going to like them until you try them. Frankly, the price tag on their full system is high enough to discourage much experimentation amongst "civilians" and their aren't many dealers with units in stock to try out. Still and all, for those with money, it might be great.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-22-2005, 06:32 AM

Well that would explain why I haven't pulled the trigger yet Bob
Add nearly half of the Amulet price for shipping and installation and it gets up there quick. That's why I am hoping someone else will chime in with a review.

One thing about the price tough... it includes a very high end preamp. If I back out that cost -- say the same amount as Para DI -- the price gets a bit more respectable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification