PDA

View Full Version : Taylor 420

charliep
01-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Like to hear from you Taylor experts...why did Taylor discontinue the 420 and what is your opinion of them? I have an opportunity to buy one and I just don't know a lot about them. It sounds and plays great. Just need some educated input please
Thanks!!!
charliep

mdunn
01-23-2005, 08:29 AM
I had one for several months. They were the entry level full size Taylor at the time. The 300 series was not produced. At least in 95 and 96. There were 412's in Mahogany and 420's in Maple. They were both dreadnaught bodies. The one I owned had lots of volume. I strung it with lights. Accorinding to the Taylor catalog (which came with the guitar) the guitar would handle medium strings. I believe the 420 had an 2 11/16th nut width. At least mine did. I used it as a travel guitar last year as I spent several months on the road.

Because they were the entry level guitar they were very plain jane in appearance.

I traded mine as part of the purchase of an 810 from another forum member.

Just my $.02 on the subject.

minnesotamoon
01-23-2005, 02:46 PM
I have a 420 rosewood or what i've been told is pau ferro. anyways i love it. such huge volume and great aged sound. mine was made back in '93 and doesnt' have any bells or whistles but great sound.

charliep
01-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys. This 420 that I played is a pretty plain looking guitar which is fine with me, but does have a great sound and plays really good too. I do appreciate the assistance.
charliep

cpmusic
01-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Just to clarify: From '91 to '98, all 400s had Sitka spruce tops, and the standard models had back and sides of mahogany (replaced by sapele around '95 or so). Along the way, Taylor built limited runs of 400 models with back/sides of rosewood, maple, or koa, probably because they had lots of those woods that didn't meet the cosmetic standards of their regular series. Some of these limited model numbers were 42x, while others were 41x with a letter suffix indicating the wood type (R, M, or K). There may have even been some that had both, like 420-R, but I'm not sure. I've seen examples in the dread, GA, and GC shapes.

On the whole, these were excellent guitars and great values. Their main differences from the rest of the line were a full satin finish and a pinless bridge, but neither did anything to detract from their quality. A 420 in rosewood is like a poor-man's 810, so if you like the guitar and the price is right, I say go for it.

charliep
01-24-2005, 04:25 PM
You've all been a great help!
Thanks for all the info I really do appreciate it!
charliep