PDA

View Full Version : Best Acoustic 12-string under $500?

sunburst
08-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Okay, I don't have the $$$ for a Guild or Taylor, so what's your recommendation for the best acoustic 12-string under $500?

Thanks...Paul

crozetiga
08-27-2004, 08:31 AM
I bought a Alvarez AJ60-SC12 for about $x00 and I like pretty well. That one has pickups on it. I dont know if you want that or not. The AJ60-S12 is the straight acoustic one I believe.

josh

sc morris
08-27-2004, 08:35 AM
You can easily pick up a Seagull for that kind of money. Cedar top, nice, full sound. I've got a buddy who owns one. Really nice guitar.

Here's the one he has....
http://www.seagullguitars.com/products12%2B.htm

A1rh0pper
08-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Takamine has a nice new maple 12, I think it's a 523 or something like that. Nice looking, though I haven't played one.

Chicago Sandy
08-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Also check out Art & Lutherie........and think "used," too.

Wally
08-27-2004, 11:51 AM
I'll have to second the Seagull recommendation. Very playable right off the shelf. The Art & Lutherie needed a little tweaking but also a good value.

hgordon
08-27-2004, 11:58 AM
A third recommendation for Seagull - I regularly see their 12's for sub $x00.

hgordon
08-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Sunburst - I just sent you an email about a Seagull 12 auction ending in 20 minutes for sub $x00 - needs some work, but probably worth checking ...

4Gtrs
08-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Paul,
I searched for a 12'er for about four months. I sampled every one on this island, new and used, and ended up with a Fender GDS47-12. It is manufactured in Korea, and like many of the instruments made in the Far East, represents great value. It has a solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and laminated rosewood sides. Not a bad deal for $xxx (coming from a Taylor fan here).
I added a JDL Bridge Doctor as a precautionary measure and later, adjusted the string break angle to compensate for the brass pins (this was about a five hour effort since I wasn't familiar with the device). I'm using a Fishman RE Mag/mic blender and it sounds just great.

astrummer
08-27-2004, 07:17 PM
I bought a AJ60-S12 as my second 12 string (for alternate tunings ). I think you can get it retail within your price range. I'm very satisfied for the price. I thought it was brighter sounding than the Seagulls in this range yet with the solid low end that comes from the jumbo body type. I don't think it sounds as good as the Martins, Taylors, Guilds, Tacoma ( DM18-12 my #1 12 string :D ), but they cost more than your budget.

damienjb
08-28-2004, 01:34 AM
The difference between the $400-$500 12 strings, and the $700-$800 12 strings is amazing. I've played a Taylor 355, and Martin J12-15, as well as a lot of 12 string Yamaha/tak/cort/seagull, and there's no competition between the first two and the rest. If there was a 12 string Atlas, that might change things, but as it stands, if you really know you want a 12, keep saving... If you're not sure if you want one, buy a cheap 12 with good machines, and play the hell out of it.

/Damien

cotten
08-28-2004, 09:02 AM
AGF Rule No. 2) NO GUITAR PRICING DISCUSSIONS: I respectfully ask that you keep guitar pricing discussions offline....

I know we sometimes forget, but occasionally I get the feeling that we decide to just go ahead and discuss prices and let the moderators handle it. That's not nice! :ha:

This rule is a requirement for participating here. Please discuss prices privately, to your heart's content. Thanks.

cotten

aggie182
08-28-2004, 09:31 AM
i have an alvarez 12 sting that i got use for under that price. its an md-8012 i think. cool guitar.

astrummer
08-28-2004, 09:54 AM
If we're not allowed to discuss prices, then why even allow questions / topics with "price" ? Meaning that if the question involves price, to some degree any meaningful answer will at least imply something about pricing.

cpmusic
08-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Seagull, Simon & Patrick, and Art & Lutherie are all good choices. The A&L has a lam top while the others are solid, but it's less expensive. The Seagull M12 is close to the ceiling in this thread, but the S12 is considerably less and a great value in a solid-top 12.

Damien makes a good point about the next tier of 12-strings, but the price difference can be considerable for someone of limited funds. The J12-15, for example, is more than twice the price of an S12 at retail, and while I think it's worth it, it could take some people a long time to get there.

Lefty56
08-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Paul,

Look for an old Takamine 12 string knock off Martin from the 70s. You won't find anything close for the price, solid woods/solid construction/great sound and playability.

Jay

samchar
08-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Seagull, Simon & Patrick, and Art & Lutherie are all good choices. The A&L has a lam top while the others are solid, but it's less expensive. The Seagull M12 is close to the ceiling in this thread, but the S12 is considerably less and a great value in a solid-top 12.

Ditto this advice. My Simon & Patrick 12 Spruce has a fantastic soaring sound. People can hardly believe I only have a few bills in it. I've played new Alvarez 12 solid tops in this price range before that sound very good, very bright. Tonally, I think they are fantastic. However, I've read (and a friend of mine personally exprienced) issues with Alvarez bridges splitting out at the saddle. Don't know if that's still a problem, but I've seen it before.

Look for a Seagull or Simon and Patrick S12....and try to find one with a spruce top. I just don't think you can go wrong there for the dough.

sunburst
08-28-2004, 03:10 PM
A big thanks to everyone who has pitched in with suggestions. Also, I apologize if the discussion of prices is inappropriate here; didn't mean to enter forbidden territory.

I'll let you know what I get. Thanks again...Paul