The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2004, 10:32 AM

Default About to buy a Takamine EG531SC, What else should I consider?

I have never played and don't know much. From searching the net I have found the Takamine EG531S. I am looking to spend under $600. From the reviews from music123.com and epinions.com it seems to be a good choice. But before I buy it, what other choices should I consider? I want a black guitar that will last me a long time if not ever. This will be nothing more than a hobby for me.

I plan on learning my self and getting lessons down the road. What books do you guys recommend for starting?

Thanks
Matt
Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 AM

Welcome to the forum. I have just started playing myself. You will find most everyone helpfull and friendly....Oh by the way rubbing alcohol on the fingers after you play every night.. You'll thank me.........Uh-hum And thank you to who-ever it was that told me
Old 04-22-2004, 11:33 AM

Matt

The Tak EG531SC is a cutaway Dread with electronics - seems to run around $500 new on line. My very limited experience with Takamines is that they are popular guitars with working musicians - they sound good plugged in but may not be the best choice unplugged. The one I played (don't know the model but it was a rosewood dread) frankly didn't impress me unplugged. Have you played one or listened to one?

If you are hung up on a black guitar with electronics you might also consider the Carvin Cobalt C980MW

http://www.carvin.com/products/cobalt.php

Its more money than you've budgeted but one nice thing about Carvin is their return policy - if you don't like it send it back. The Carvin is a jumbo cutaway and has different electronics. There are some folks that hang out at the Harmony Central acoustic forum who are pretty big on Carvins - might be worthwhile to search, lurk or post there

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...?s=&forumid=42

I guess I have strong feelings about buying a guitar unseen and unplayed. IMHO you should consider finding a similar guitar in store somewhere and having someone play if for you - let YOUR ears help you decide. Then go shopping for the best price.

As far as learning materials obviously a good instructor would be my first choice, video or cd lessons my second (check out Stephan Grossman or Homespun Tapes) and lastly, books. Learning from a friend can be a mixed bag - you'll learn all their bad habits and it will probably be poorly structured but the price is right.

You'll go thru introductory materials pretty fast - maybe you can check out videos from your library or a music store rather than buying them.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:05 PM

Hello,
I am new at this forum and already am finding out some good things. So, the Takamine is only good for the electronics part? Someone told me I should get one because it was supposed to be a really great guitar. What do you think?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcamb
Hello,
I am new at this forum and already am finding out some good things. So, the Takamine is only good for the electronics part? Someone told me I should get one because it was supposed to be a really great guitar. What do you think?
Welcome Adam! Takamine basically makes a good guitar. They tend to be a little bit heavily contructed, and thus don't project quite as much as some others, but, on the other hand, that makes them hold up well to use and travelling. Lots of live performers use them on the road and record with something else. They also don't cost as much as some others. If you want a decent, reliable guitar in the mid price range, there's nothing wrong with a Takamine. You might also try out an Ibanez or a Yamaha, which will probably cost even less.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 PM

Adam, no, what I was suggesting was that the ONE that I played sounded far better plugged than unplugged. I know two working musicians who use them and its always amplified. Pretty small data base and I personally have no other experience with Taks than that.

With any guitar purchase what I like shouldn't influence what you like. If you play well enough to make your own decision, then A/B every guitar you can that meets your criteria (black, $600, etc). If you don't play (and even if you do) have someone else play if for you - many guitars sound different to a listener that the player. Have them play the same style you will - strum, flat pick, finger pick. If you are going to play plugged - then plug it in and listen to the results.

I have spent many happy hours in good guitar stores listening to different guitars and trying to hear different woods, body shapes, and constructions. Take the opinions of people on this forum, magazine reviews, and other musicians into consideration - but in the end, make YOUR ears happy.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:12 PM

Just one super biased opinion, but I think the Ibanez Artwood series is the absolute best you can get for under 400 bucks. Check out the reviews on harmony-central.com, they should give you a good idea of what other people think of their guitars. For just a little over 600, you could get a Taylor 214 and a 110 would be well under your budget....both excellent guitars as well.
Peace,
Brian

Taylor 414ce
Larrivee OM-03
Ibanez AW300CENT
Brian Moore i8
Custom Built Strat

My hope is in Jesus Christ.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:13 PM

Well I guess ignore the above post cause I forgot to read the "black" part!!

Taylor 414ce
Larrivee OM-03
Ibanez AW300CENT
Brian Moore i8
Custom Built Strat

My hope is in Jesus Christ.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:34 PM

Default buy it

I own a eg531sc.. It plays very easily..Have it professionally set up and you can play it for hours without finger fatigue. I play it unplugged or with my crate acoustic amp. good choice, you will really enjoy it, for the price...

Rob....
Old 04-23-2004, 07:33 AM

I agree with what seems to be the general feeling...you see a lot of Taks on stage (and many other brands as well)...they have a reputation for being durable and reliable. I bought a new 360SC twelve years ago and have had zero problems with it...the neck is slimmer and narrower than my Taylor, but some players prefer slim necks, others prefer baseball bats, and all in between. I have 3 Carvins (2 electric and 1 A/E) and they're all very well made and play like a dream. I don't have a Carvin Cobalt but they seem to be reviewed well.

If your intention is to only play at home for a hobby (and what a great hobby it will be), I suggest you forego the extra expense of electronics because you won't need it. There's lots of guitars in the price range you're talking about that should meet your needs very well (and wise you are to limit your investment until you know that you will continue playing but at the same time spend enough to get a guitar that will sound reasonably good and be playable...it's hard enough just starting out without needing a grip of steel just to play the dang thing). Restricting the color to black will limit the selection a good bit, but if that's what you want then that's what you should get. Buying a guitar is a joyful but very personal thing...I think every poster on this board would agree that what's right for you doesn't have to be right for anyone else.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. It's a great place to share information, get questions answered without being made to feel dumb, and everyone rejoices with you when you make a purchase...whether you spend $400 or $4,000.

Rick
Old 04-23-2004, 07:42 AM

I have a Takamine EAN10CX (Natural) You can get for around $1200 It is the best sounding Tak I have ever heard unpluged and plugged in.

If I were you I would go for a more expensive Tak (around $1000) and be sure to play all of them in the shop before you buy! The "same" model of guitar doesn't mean it sounds the same, My guitar sounds ALOT better than all the other EAN10CX's in the shop.

Well whatever you get HAVE FUN!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion