PDA

View Full Version : What's the best parlor guitar?

scrank
04-01-2004, 07:58 PM
I haven't played too many parlors but I would bet that Goodall Pacific Parlor would be a gem (cedar top, flame maple back and sides).

Any other parlors you'd like to mention?

ricks
04-01-2004, 08:16 PM
I have to put in a vote for the Larrivee Parlour.
Excellent little guitar that plays like a real guitar and not a toy, and sounds like one as well. As the owner of two Goodalls, you are probably right about their parlor, as well as some of the other high end makers.
But for the money I think the Larry is very hard to beat.

kmander
04-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I haven't played too many parlors but I would bet that Goodall Pacific Parlor would be a gem (cedar top, flame maple back and sides).

Any other parlors you'd like to mention?

Collings Baby .... Outstanding

http://www.kmander.com/images/collingsbabyfront.JPG

flaggerphil
04-01-2004, 09:26 PM
I haven't played any of the high end parlors, but my little Larrivee Parlor is a gem.

lorick
04-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Can't afford to try out any of the high-end ones (Collings, Santa cruz, etc.), but I've tried the Larrivee and was really impressed - I may dump my Baby Taylor and pick up the Larrivee.

BigMo66
04-01-2004, 09:39 PM
If you have the chance, you might be surprised at the Tacoma Parlors. The sound is incredible. The fact that the body is 4.75" gives it much more depth than a lot of parlors. http://www.tacomaguitars.com/download/pm20.jpg

George W. Kerry
04-01-2004, 09:46 PM
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

mikeo2
04-01-2004, 10:06 PM
You might want to check out Rainsong's Rosewood/Graphite model of that size. Its a very balanced, responsive guitar with a fantastic tone.

Michael K
04-01-2004, 10:30 PM
I have to put in a vote for the Larrivee Parlour.
Excellent little guitar that plays like a real guitar and not a toy, and sounds like one as well. As the owner of two Goodalls, you are probably right about their parlor, as well as some of the other high end makers.
But for the money I think the Larry is very hard to beat.

I would echo that thought. I am sure there are better ones out there, but bang for the buck...Larrivee all the way. Just got one a couple weeks ago and I'm lovin' it!!

dreamer
04-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Well I just spent Two consecutive Mondays playing a whole bunch of high end acoustics. To me hands down the Goodall Pacific Parlor was in a class by itself. (Bought a grand concerty model) Just would not believe that much sound would come from that little guitar.

However for the money I was really impressed recently with the tacoma.

JasonA
04-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Gotta be careful with the "parlor" nomenclature.

For example, a Goodall Parlor is much closer in size to a Larrivee 00 than it is to their parlor. And the Tacoma Parlor is really a Nick Lucas-type guitar. Neither really bear direct comparison to a Larrivee parlor.

FWIW, I own a rosewood Larrivee Parlor that's quite nice, but I also own a Larrivee 12-fret 00 which outclasses the parlor easily.

troubleman
04-02-2004, 08:37 AM
I have a mahogany Larrivee parlour - I really like it. It doesn't even begin to approach a Collings parlour though. Not in aesthetic beauty, not, in tone, and thankfully not even close in price! :D

Cree
04-02-2004, 08:45 AM
i own a Larrivee parlor and love it. getting a bone saddle and set up helps alot. but for the $, it's tough to beat.

Yesterday I played a number of different types. The Collings stood out from the crowd, by far which for 3750.00 it should. but that's a "dream" guitar.

JohnM
04-02-2004, 08:56 AM
http://www.mayesguitars.com/images/finished2.jpg http://www.mayesguitars.com/images/finished1.jpg

patrickw25
04-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Quit showing off John!!! you're making us jealous!!! :)

bstring
04-02-2004, 09:16 AM
I have a Larrivee parlor walnut that I like very much, more of a "real" guitar sound that my Taylor Baby Bubinga. I also have a Tacoma PKK-40 "parlor" guitar, but I agree that this is a somewhat bigger guitar and not comparable to "baby" size guitars. My next parlor will be a Martin FeLiX. :D :D :D

wthurman
04-02-2004, 06:02 PM
I like the Santa Cruz PJ, myself. Amazing volume, deep, rich sound.

George W. Kerry
04-02-2004, 07:03 PM

For those of you who like the Larrivee Parlor
Elderly Instruments has been selling a higher
end Parlor called the O-09.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OP09FM.htm
So far I've seen it in rosewood, walnut, and maple but I'm
sure the ubiquitous koa will make an appearance soon.
This Parlor is the same size (I think), but has full
gloss, a visible pickguard, ebony tuners, and silver trim and
pearl logo on the headstock (09 style). I haven't seen these
anywhere but on Elderly. Of course it cost more than the regular Parlor..
That's all I'll say about price :)

Taylorplayer
04-02-2004, 07:21 PM
http://www.mayesguitars.com/images/finished2.jpg http://www.mayesguitars.com/images/finished1.jpg

That is a beautiful looking instrument - very nice!

Jeff M
04-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Another bulder to throw into the mix is David Flammang. I've read several glowing reports aobut his parlor guitar from folks with some pretty high end guitars in their stables.

JohnM
04-02-2004, 09:22 PM
David MAkes wonderful guitars. I've played a few and they are very crisp and balanced (balance is the best tonal trait to me). Excellent craftsmanship as well.

Skywachr
04-02-2004, 09:48 PM
My all mahogany Larrivee parlour is incredible for the size and price.

muzz76
04-03-2004, 12:22 AM
- I may dump my Baby Taylor and pick up the Larrivee.

Been there and done...not a regret in the world...The Larrivee is a much better instrument.

tim farney
04-03-2004, 07:18 AM
I don't think the name means much these days. A Larrivee Parlor, with it's sub O dimensions and short scale, is so small it's really more of a travel guitar. The Tacomas are sort of a Martin O size, but deeper. The Mayes pictured looks more like an OM, though I guess it's smaller. I'm afraid that asking "what's your favorite parlor guitar?" is like asking "what's your favorite OM/Dred/Jumbo?

With all of that said, my favorite so far is a buddy's 30-year-old O18 New Yorker.

Tim

JohnM
04-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Hey time glad to see you round these parts.

My Parlor is indeed smaller....but not by much. It is more of a body shape than size really I suppose. It is 14.75 at the lower..barely smaller than a OM although it is quite a bit smaller at the upper...

I have a prototype 00-12 in the works that stays true to the vintage for the most parts. Anyway....

wyodeb
04-03-2004, 10:33 AM
I've got to chime in about my 2001 Larrivee spruce/koa parlor. No frills, lots of sound, and great fun to play. I bought it as a "travel guitar" but I play it more often than my other guitars because it is comfortable, and I love the 12-fret neck. Undoubtably I would be happy with a more upper-end or 00- sized 12-fretter, but that's not in my financial future!

Deb

A Friend
04-03-2004, 11:02 AM
I use a Cort Earth 900 (Solid mahogany back and solid cedar top). It is value for money and works well for me.

Jeffery_Doty
04-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Hello,

Great information here on parlors! I was wondering, is there anyone that makes a parlor size with a larger nut width? Say, 1 13/16 or 1 7/8th?

Thank you.

Jeff

mapletrees
04-04-2004, 01:29 PM
www.brookguitars.com

JohnM
04-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Hello,

Great information here on parlors! I was wondering, is there anyone that makes a parlor size with a larger nut width? Say, 1 13/16 or 1 7/8th?

Thank you.

Jeff

Probably any custom builder would do it for you