The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 PM

Default Are Martins the "Harley Davidsons" of guitars?

Are Martins the "Harley Davidsons" of acoustic guitars?
In an increasingly competetive market surrounded by more affordable, arguably better engineered, more sophisticated options are we paying a premium for nostalgia, image and "a trademark sound"? Is this logical?
I for one enjoy both and have bought both... sometimes I can't help but wonder if I've been sold?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Hi D35burst,

I don't think I have been over-sold on my Martins. I can hear the difference. I own a 1967 Martin D-35 and a more recent Martin 000-28VS. I also own a Guild GAD-30R made in China. The GAD-30R is OK for a $700 guitar but it doesn't come close to my Martins.

If you spent money on a Martin, I hope you can hear the difference. Otherwise, maybe you were over-sold. If it's not worth it to you, then it's not worth it, period. Only the individual player can answer that.

- Glenn
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 PM

I think of them more as the Ford of guitars. The first to successfully mass-produce guitars, an early innovator, and an American brand that still survives after more than 100 years (heck, getting close to 200 now).

Do they have modern problems and lots of great competition? Sure. So does Ford.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 PM

Personally, I think you have made a very interesting comparison. Yes, I think you could think of Martin as the "Harley" of the acoustic guitar world. And yes you do pay a premium for name and legacy of premier products. It doesn't matter if you are talking about instruments, automobiles, jewelry, sporting goods, etc. However, with this premium price quality and performance typically follow suit. As Glenn said, if this is worth it to you then no you did not get duped.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

I think it's a fairly apt analogy although I think that the difference between the steak and the sizzle is much, much greater with a Harley than most Martins...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 PM

I'd say National is the Harley of guitars. Resonators are loud and have lots of chrome.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 PM

I think it is the perfect analogy (and one I hace oft made myself).

And Taylor is the Honda of the guitar world (even though the Japanese thing is missing).

Taylors have the technological edge and they just work better. But Martins have that Harley "growl" (even if the Harley growl comes from being always slightly out of tune).

And if it's a Harley or Martin you really want, nothing else will do, no matter how smooth the ride or trouble free the neck re-set.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

The Ford comparison makes sense.....but if they have to be Fords, can mine be a Shelby Cobra Mustang?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 PM

I actually think that's a pretty good point. I wouldn't think of owning a Harley as any "less" than owning a Ducati - it's just different strokes for different folks. Same with owning a Martin vs owning a Traugott. Honestly I've played Martins that I would easily pick over many of the "high end" guitars I've played.

But in and of itself, it's an awfully good comparison - Martin/Harley. I can tell you right now that it's going to irk people though
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

I thought the HD (as in HD-28) stood for Harley Davidson????
Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 AM

I was ultimately sold on the Martin because of its sound which to me was distinctly preferable. So far I am happy with my purchase and hope to be for a long time...providing it doesnt brake down on the side of the road like my Harley,(i.e. develop whisker cracks, require neck reset ect.) However I did have to send a guitar back to Martin and now that I've gotten more familiar with my current D-35 as much as I love her rumble and tone I can see the fit and finish just doesn't compare with much of the competition in the same class.
There is something about the feel of a Harley/Martin but you do pay for it in more than one way.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS View Post
But in and of itself, it's an awfully good comparison - Martin/Harley. I can tell you right now that it's going to irk people though
Well I'm new to the forum, just joined today so i thought I'd make a splash and introduce myself. - Chris (Vancouver BC)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM

Where the comparison falls down, in my opinion, is that Martin has worked hard to continue to offer lower-priced options in order to equip younger and newer players with Martin guitars.

Harley-Davidson motorcycles USED to be used mostly by younger people as inexpensive transportation, but I sure don't see that portion of the populace being served by Harley-Davidson any longer. Harleys cost more than a lot of cars these days, and the people I see riding them tend to be older, greyer and a whole lot heavier than the motorcyclists I remember seeing back when I was a kid.

Which is fine, but I question the wisdom of that marketing strategy over the long term. Speaking as a member of the "Baby Boom" generation myself, what happens to Harley-Davidson when the Baby Boomers age out of riding motorcycles? It's not all that far in the future, and I don't see Harley doing much to market itself to younger riders.

Of course, I'm not a motorcyclist myself, and I live in one of the least motorcycle-friendly climates that there is. So maybe Harley-Davidson already has that covered, and I just haven't seen it.

But I wonder, all the same....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 AM

Oh no! My Martin Grand J12-40E Special is a subdued, subtle, beautifully balanced, under-stated piece of craftsmanship. It`s not big, dumb, loud and low-tech! Wait a minute, wait a minute.... maybe it is fairly large, and a little bit loud.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D35burst View Post
Well I'm new to the forum, just joined today so i thought I'd make a splash and introduce myself. - Chris (Vancouver BC)
And a splash you have made!
Apt comparison in my opinion.
Great first post. Beware the loyalist tsunami!

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion