PDA

View Full Version : Snark SN-1 vs SN-8?

MrBJones
02-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Have read up on Snarks, here and elsewhere, sounds like they're quick and easy. But which one to get? Though not prevalent, there seem to be some concerns with the SN-8. The difference in price is negligible...I just want the better of the two. If only used for guitar, which would you recommend? Thanks!

BluesBelly
02-18-2012, 12:51 PM
I bought my first two Snarks a few months ago and had the same delema. I bought the more versitile all instrument version that tunes by vibration or sound at the flip of a switch. Shortly after the round head (about the size of four 50 cent pieces stacked) of one broke free of the clamp on base. The bright side is I am able to throw that little little tuner in my pocket and have it with me all the time, albeit it must be used on the sound setting instead of vibrate. So I say get the all instrument version.

Blues

SteveA
02-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I have a couple of SN-8's....

SN-8 is all instrument....No Mic....which I don't want, vibration only.....I would forget to turn it off.......

Supposedly it's a little "tighter" tuner.....

The 2 reasons I choose SN-8 are simple:

SN-8 has a brighter LED display and is Black......

I just think a Blue or red colored tuner clipped to my Guitar is not something I want on stage.....I leave my Black SN-8 clipped to my Guitar onstage, with no worries.......

slewis
02-18-2012, 02:25 PM
What SteveA said! I'm totally happy with my SN-8s.

jseth
02-18-2012, 04:12 PM
My first two Snarks were the red, chromatic ones... then I opted for the black "super-tite" chromatic, which I believe is the SN8.

I like the black one a lot! The display is VERY bright and a bit more garish than the others, but it does seem to go that extra step, with regards to accuracy. I don't mind the lack of a "mic" setting and don't use the metronome, either, but it is a GREAT little tuner, and cheap as the dickens!

play on.......................................>

John

taylor96
02-18-2012, 04:26 PM
I have two SN1 (BLue)and found them to be very accurate and really liked them.Just got a black SN8 last week do not see a great difference but it seems brighter and like some have said black looks prettier I guess.
I would go for the SN8 if I were you...

:):)

ChrisMartinMan
02-18-2012, 05:24 PM
I have three blue ones. I wish I had a black because not as "look at me"ish.

Godfather
02-18-2012, 11:14 PM
I have the SN1 only because GC matched the $8.50 Amazon Price. BTW, it works very well!

Broadus
02-19-2012, 01:24 PM
I prefer the SN-8, too, with it's nice, brighter display.

Bill

RAD3
02-19-2012, 03:08 PM
I just got an SN-1 last week. The electric blue is a bit garish but really no one sees it but me so it's not a problem. this is my first electronic tuner and I gotta say I wish I'd gotten it sooner. I adjusted the truss rod on my Harmony 12er this afternoon and couldn't believe how quickly I got it re-tuned with the Snark! It was a snap. Best $10 I've spent in a long while:D

AGnut
02-19-2012, 04:21 PM
I bought the blue one a month ago. Worked great until yesterday. The display comes on but the indicator does not go up. Put a new battery in it, but still no go. Anyone run into this problem?

djeffcoat
02-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I have three blue ones. I wish I had a black because not as "look at me"ish.

I bought a black SN-1 at Guitar Center with a gift card. They might match the internet price of the blue one if you bring a printout.

Don

steveyam
02-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I have a couple of the original red ones and - as everyone knows - they work amazingly well. I recently bought the new SN-8 and I have to say, the 'logic' of the display is slightly better on the new one. With the SN-1 the area of the display to the left of the actual note shown remains lit - a tad confusing in the heat of the moment. Whereas the SN-8's display is simple, bold, and totally unambiguous. No dither, hesitancy, just quick easy, great tuning. They're both great, but I prefer the '8' for the reasons mentioned.

budsy
02-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I got the SN-2 Snark all instrument tuner just over a year ago

Havent had any problems and happy with it

i normally use it on vibrate although can change to the mic

Its the burgundy one i have when i opened the box

wouldve preferred a Green one

but really whats colour to do with it as long as it works fine
then im fine :D

ebick
02-19-2012, 10:05 PM
I bought the blue one a month ago. Worked great until yesterday. The display comes on but the indicator does not go up. Put a new battery in it, but still no go. Anyone run into this problem?

I sometimes have an issue with it pickig up the low E, but that's it

Trego
06-13-2012, 12:40 PM
had the red one's (2 of them) which are great because of the additional mic setting.

But I just picked up a SN-8 for our bassists.

A plastic tab broke on one of our red ones, and with the mic I can still use it for tuning in my office.

So, it's not totally useless now.

Glennwillow
06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
I have recently purchased the SN8 and am reasonably happy. It is not as accurate as my Peterson Strobo-Clip but it's less hassle, less frenetic jumping around on the display compared to the Strobo-Clip. I also prefer the black color and connect it to my headstock on the back side so that it's not all that noticeable.

- Glenn

talister106
06-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Been using the SN-2 for about a year and enjoy the comfort of cliping it on the guitar and leaving both hands free espically makes the twelve string easier to deal with. Just received the SN-8 today and used it to fine tune the workshop Penco with great ease. Will say again what a difference from the early days of pitch pipes and tuning forks!

wplanck
09-09-2013, 07:43 PM
I've had the blue SN-1 for nearly 2 years. A few days ago one of the tabs just fell off. Still works, but falls apart easily now.

ljguitar
09-09-2013, 07:50 PM
I've had the blue SN-1 for nearly 2 years. A few days ago one of the tabs just fell off. Still works, but falls apart easily now.

HI wplanck...

Hello and Welcome to the forum! I noticed you joined a couple years back & finally decided to jump into a discussion!

When one of my friends drops, steps on, or otherwise shreds a Snark, I ask for the 'remnants' as repair parts. I have a couple shells and arms and bases hanging around here. Perhaps you should start your own 'collection'.

When they shed one 'tooth' you can still use them, but they are not very sturdy, and for me at least not dependable enough for road work. But they still work fine in my teaching room.

I buy the Blue Snarks in batches when Amazon dot com has them for $9 or so and then give them as gifts. I also keep one in each case. When my stash falls below 2, I watch for a sale.

wplanck
09-10-2013, 09:03 PM
HI wplanck...

Hello and Welcome to the forum! I noticed you joined a couple years back & finally decided to jump into a discussion!

When one of my friends drops, steps on, or otherwise shreds a Snark, I ask for the 'remnants' as repair parts. I have a couple shells and arms and bases hanging around here. Perhaps you should start your own 'collection'.

When they shed one 'tooth' you can still use them, but they are not very sturdy, and for me at least not dependable enough for road work. But they still work fine in my teaching room.

I buy the Blue Snarks in batches when Amazon dot com has them for $9 or so and then give them as gifts. I also keep one in each case. When my stash falls below 2, I watch for a sale.

Hello there. I just ordered a new sn-8 on Ebay for about $12 shipped. I put a new battery in my sn-1 and wow! What a difference. I ordered 25 batteries for less than $5 on Ebay. Hope the sn-8 still uses the same batteries :) .