The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 PM

Default Podium 50th Anniversary D-28 Custom Singer-Songwriter/SOLD

For sale: Martin

Podium 50th Anniversary D-28 Custom Singer-Songwriter. This is a Martin Custom shop guitar, and is mint condition (other than some pick swirls on the pick guard). If you are looking at this , you know how great these guitars are . Always kept properly humidified. SOLD Thanks for looking. Audio clip: http://www.thepodium.com/mp3s/MartinD28Anniversary.mp3

Specs:
Premium East Indian Rosewood back and sides
Master Grade EngelmannTop
Ebony Fingerboard and Bridge
Nickel Waverly Tuners
Standard shape modern Low Profile D28 Mahogany neck
Style 28 back purfling
Bone Nut and Saddle
One piece neck/headstock
Old style Martin headstock decal
25.4" Scale Length
1 3/4" nut width
2 1/4" string spacing at saddle

Here is a quote from the Podium describing this guitar:

"In the early part of the twentieth century, the history of the modern guitar began and in 1959, our history with guitars began with a Martin D28 so that is what we picked for our other 50th Anniversary Martin guitar. Built in the custom shop by their most experienced builders, these are not standard D28's but rather ones with nice changes (most of which we aren't talking about) to make them a versatile singer songrwriter guitar. These guitars are certainly that and met our wildest expectations in that respect, but the surprise is that they are much, much more. They respond beautifully and complement the singers voice, strummed, fingerpicked and flatpicked as we had hoped but they also jump as a fingerstyle guitar because of the midrange balance and big time volume without having to beat on them. But they are also a first rate flatpicking guitar and this we didn't expect. We can't figure out how all that happened but with all the little tweaks, it did. Martin's Standard Series models are known for resonant warm tones, quality craftsmanship and tasteful styling and we wanted to push the envelope a little with these and see if we couldn't come up with a modern guitar that sounded alot more like a Prewar than other attempts which have by and large still been first instruments, but didn't really sound like the vintage instruments .

...thanks to our pals in the custom shop who, in my opinion, have all the luthier chops of the best independent builders and build by hand to the same degree. Bottom line is that these guys are the best in a company full of first rate builders."

[

Last edited by lesmarshall; 12-21-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 AM

Talking

On the off chance that someone is looking at this ad who doesn't know about the Podium custom models, I'd just like to add that I own a 00-18v style from this series and have found it to be a truly exceptional instrument. I really loved my standard series 00-18v, but when I had a chance to buy the Podium version, I grabbed it and put my standard version up for sale, something that I knew with absolute certainty I would never do. Took me about 5 minutes to get it posted locally. That might give you some indication of the quality of the Podium models. I love mine and hope they never make any more. If they don't, it will just make mine that much more valuable when the kids go to sell it. If you're interested in a D-28, you owe it to yourself to look closely at this one.

Jim

Last edited by tylers45; 01-13-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 AM

I almost hate to say this (because if this guitar does not sell maybe the OP will drop the price to a point where I could convince my wife that I could buy this!), but in my personal opinion The Podium's Singer Songwriter D28 is one of the greatest guitars you could get. It is a great flatpicking and strumming guitar, of course, but it is also one of the best fingerstyle instruments I have played. Really. Seriously, even though it is a dreadnaught.

I almost bought one of these, and compared it, carefully (over a few months), to many many other high end guitars at The Podium a few years back. In my hands, and with my ears, the Singer Songwriter surpassed all of them as a wonderful fingerstyle guitar, except for a Martin Ditson (which was comparable but different - I still wish I had not let that one slip past me), and the Goodall Concert Jumbo that I ended up buying (which was not better but different in an appealing way). The only guitar that came close otherwise, in my opinion, was a really nice used Santa Cruz that they had in the shop at the time.

The Podium's Singer Songwriter D28 has an incredibly strong voice for very dynamic fingerstyle playing. It has a deep, rich tone, but also a lot of clarity. This is a really really nice, really satisfying guitar to play (for perspective, my other guitars are a very nice classical, a Goodall, and a Martin 000-15, and I am primarily a fingerstyle/classical player). I still really want one of these Singer-Songwriters, and it pains me to not snap this one up!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 AM

Where are you located?

Webber Adirondack/EIR Dread
1996 Gibson J45 Natural / Custom Build
1991 Gibson SJ Reissue - Rosewood
1931 Gibosn L-00 12 Fret
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmarshall View Post
Photos Posted
Couldn't reply to your PM - says you can't receive them...?

Webber Adirondack/EIR Dread
1996 Gibson J45 Natural / Custom Build
1991 Gibson SJ Reissue - Rosewood
1931 Gibosn L-00 12 Fret
Old 01-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Very nice.

Do you know the bracing?

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

these are awesome guitars, can't believe its still around
make wonderful fingerstyle instruments

d
Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

this is nuts, this should have sold on day 1.

for folks who have not played one, they are missing out. thats all i will say.

d
Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 AM

Wow. This hurts. I have almost bought this twice "new" and now their is one used for a good price and I have no $. Best of luck. If I could, it would have already done it.... and yes I know that doesn't help.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:52 PM

Audio clip

http://www.thepodium.com/mp3s/MartinD28Anniversary.mp3
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM

What year did they offer this one?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Podium 50th was 2009.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorker View Post
Podium 50th was 2009.

Bought this one new in March 2010