The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default How make a guitar look its best

Anyone know if you can buff out a guitar to remove small, minor scratches? What do you need to do this? Does it work well? Seems it would.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:33 PM

Frankly I would not worry about this. Surface scratches are a way of life for any guitar that is actually used.

If you decide to use any polish, go with Virtuoso. It will not remove scratches, but will help keep 'er looking best.

Guitars are not really like cars - it ain't as simple as "buffing out" surface scratches with a compound of some sort.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunes View Post
Guitars are not really like cars - it ain't as simple as "buffing out" surface scratches with a compound of some sort.
Why not? The compounds are just mild abrasives. As long as you use a mild abrasive appropriate for the finish on your guitar, scratches should buff out.

Of course, guitar finishes are generally much thinner and more delicate than car finishes. I've buffed out scratches from poly finishes before, but I'd be more careful with nitrocellulose, for example.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM
PIT74827

Toothpaste is a fine polishing compound. Stretch a soft cloth over a fingertip with a little toothpaste on the tip and gently work the finish in small circles with a little pressure. Don't go at it vigorously and with too much toothpaste. Use just enough of the stuff to make it glide easily is all that's needed. When it begins to drag over the finish, clean the area with another slightly water-dampened cloth and inspect your work. Repeat as necessary. Deep scratches won't come out but the light scuffing should.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Why not? The compounds are just mild abrasives. As long as you use a mild abrasive appropriate for the finish on your guitar, scratches should buff out.

Of course, guitar finishes are generally much thinner and more delicate than car finishes. I've buffed out scratches from poly finishes before, but I'd be more careful with nitrocellulose, for example.

buffing out scratches is a process that removes the material beside the scratch, until it is down to the level of the scratch. i would not think that would be a good method if you value the protectionthat the finish provides. violin polish, or other fine wood polish would be my first choice.

i am not an expert! use this advice aqt your own risk!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimotwo View Post
buffing out scratches is a process that removes the material beside the scratch, until it is down to the level of the scratch. i would not think that would be a good method if you value the protectionthat the finish provides. violin polish, or other fine wood polish would be my first choice.

i am not an expert! use this advice aqt your own risk!
Well, I suppose I am an expert at finishing having been doing it for almost 30 years. And agree with Geronimotwo.

Unless it's an awfully superficial scratch, leave it alone.

Jim McCarthy
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM

Wouldn't it depend on the type and thickness of finish? The factory finish on a typical gloss poly guitar is fairly thick.

FWIW, I have used this successfully for minor scratches on poly:
http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Polish-P...0064032&sr=8-1

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Easily done. Do a search on polishing, glossing or buffing. There are dozens of threads on this.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 AM

I would recommend 2 products, but in the long run, as mentioned above, don't think its worth it anymore for typical swirl marks. I bought a brand new HD right off the truck - it has fine swirl scratches, and like my GPC seems the gather 'em pretty easy. The trick there is just to accept them as a nature of the beast.

Anyway, on my nitros (mostly electrics) I have used Zymol Car Wax/Cleaner - all natural, no silicone, very mild abrasives, & Turtle Wax Premium Polishing Compound - no silicone, fine dissolving nano-tchnology abrasives - both work well for smoothing things out (the Polishing compound a bit better), and both can be controlled on small areas quite easy by gently rubbing, using several applications etc. Also, what's left on the surface is easily removed afterwards with a damp cloth or spit, if you don't like wax on your guitar. For heavier scratches you can start with Premium Rubbing Compound, then follow up with the Polishing or Zymol.

Last edited by jmjohnson; 03-14-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Look at the products that are sold by Petros Guitars. They worked well for me.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion