The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 AM

Default Gibson Advanced Jumbo vs Martin HD28VS vs Gibson J-45

I selling two electric guitars which means I have enough money for a nice new acoustic.

At the moment I'm interested in the following models

Randy Scruggs Advanced Jumbo (Gibson)
Martin HD-28VS
J-45 True Vintage Red Spruce (Gibson)
J-45 Rosewood Vintage (Gibson)

I'm going to try them out tomorrow, but if it was you, what do you reckon you'd go for?

Cheers.

Last edited by hovishead; 10-18-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 AM

If I were in your shoes I imagine I'd go for the Martin HD-28VS but that is purely because I crave bass response.

I have a rather unnatural tendancy to feel jealous when another guitar's bass trounces mine.

I have heard a few folk say that the HD-28VS is acutally a more balanced guitar than the HD-28V but don't know if there is any truth in it.
The Gibsons are all worthy though. I think that Randy Scruggs guitar might be so expensive because of it's bling, but then again I haven't tried it.

Make sure you take an acoustic with you to try against the models. If shopping in a few different stores, it's invaluble to have a reference point.

Jack.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcooper View Post
Make sure you take an acoustic with you to try against the models. If shopping in a few different stores, it's invaluble to have a reference point.
this is an excellent idea. the perverbial "lightbulb" just went off in my head.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM

I have played both...never in the same place at the same time.

To my ears, the Gibson(s) just sounds different...not worse, just different. To try and explain...think of all the sounds a guitar can make as a 1-10, with one being boomy bass and 10 being ice-pick treble. Both might have the same amount of range, but to me the Gibsons tend to range between 3 and 7 and the Martins between maybe 4.5 and 8.5 in the case of the HD-28V and maybe 4 and 7.5 in the case of the HD-28VS.

For whatever reason, I tend to gravitate towards brighter rather than darker unless it gets tinny sounding. The HD-28V is right on the edge of that for me and the HD-28VS sounded just about perfect to my ears.

My struggle has been do I really want the much bigger body? The 000-28V may be what I end up with. Very balanced and somewhat easier to play IMHO.

Interestingly, my favorite artist of pretty much forever, Jackson Browne uses various incarnations of Gibsons and his acoustic songs sound just great. He does use more open tunings than I ever would, and I really don't know how much more that might make the guitar 'sing' a bit with some ringing open strings.

Not sure how you could go wrong with any of them.

In the FWIW column...I had a chance to play a Bourgois Slope Dread last week and thought it sounded better than either the Martin or the Gibson.

Collings CJ-Rosewood/Sitka Sunburst
Martin 000-18 12-Fret Custom Shop
Martin OM-John Mayer
Larrievee LV10 Koa Custom
Martin D-18V
Martin D28-12
Gibson ES-369
Gretsch--6120 Tiger Maple
Eastman 805CE Archtop
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I think the Martin HD-28VS are great models. If you like 12 Fret Dreadnoughts the Santa Cruz, Martin Ditson and D-18VS are also worth looking at. For Gibson in the past the only Gibson acoustics I ever thought were worth mentioning are the SJ-200's and the Advanced Jumbo. I've owned about 8 different SJ-200's including custom shop ones with different wood upgrades and an Elite model. The Santa Cruz VJ and VS models are worth checking out as well.

All the newer J-45 I've played were not very impressive. I haven't played the True Vintage version though so I can't comment there.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

i just love j45's. i'd probably go for the red spruce j45. the martin is out because i don't care for v necks. while i really like rosewood j45's, i like the other one better.

honestly i don't see you can go wrong with this lot at all. they're good guitars, so it's all about your personal preference.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Tough call - definitely a J-45, just which one ?

When recently guitar shopping and playing many Gibsons the model that really knocked my socks off was a J-45TV.

However Im also really warming towards a Rosewood J-45's.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovishead View Post
I selling two electric guitars which means I have enough money for a nice new acoustic.

At the moment I'm interested in the following models

Randy Scruggs Advanced Jumbo (Gibson)
Martin HD-28VS
J-45 True Vintage Red Spruce (Gibson)
J-45 Rosewood Vintage (Gibson)

I'm going to try them out tomorrow, but if it was you, what do you reckon you'd go for?

Cheers.
Well if it was me I would go for the J-45 TV since it's red spruce over mahogany. I am not a big fan of rosewood guitars, I find them to have way too much sustain. As it happens I have owned at one time or another each of these guitars (or nearly so) and the guitar I still have is a J-45 similiar to the J-45 TV. For what it's worth...

Last edited by NevadaPic; 10-18-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-19-2010, 12:06 AM

Of the Gibson's you list, I personally would lpick the J-45TV. A great guitar generally, and I prefer the shorter scale. Someone on here recently commented that a good J-45 is a guitar to grow old with and I wouldn't disagree witht hat. But, you gotta try them yourself. Let us know what you get.

Can't comment on the Martin.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaPic View Post
Well if it was me I would go for the J-45 TV since it's red spruce over mahogany. I am not a big fan of rosewood guitars, I find them to have way too much sustain. As it happens I have owned at one time or another each of these guitars (or nearly so) and the guitar I still have is a J-45 similiar to the J-45 TV. For what it's worth...
On the Gibson forum a couple people mentioned that the J-45TV has an Adi top I believe .. ?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 AM

The HD-28VS is a twelve fret to the body guitar.
That is a concideration if you like to pick up to the higher frets.
I have a HD 28V and love it........fourteen fret to body.
I dig the v style neck. However, I have big hands and long thumb...works well for me, and i use the upper frets quite often.
just some input.
They are all great guitars though!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM

For me, any guitar with HD28 in the name is likely worth giving-a-try. These Martins are top-of-the-line boomers. However, the Gibson AJs have their own appeal and sound. Much of it boils-down to what you want and feel attracted to at this time. Would not be an easy choice for me. I already own an HD28 and it's a superb instrument. The upgrades for the 28 truly do make it even more exceptional in many instances. On the otherhand, my gigging partner has a Gibson AJ, and I would die to own that guitar. It's very easy to play and it's the kind of guitar that I hate to put down. Tough choice. Have fun making your decision.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
On the Gibson forum a couple people mentioned that the J-45TV has an Adi top I believe .. ?
Yep, adi = red spruce. Some of the early TV's had sitka, but now I think they're all Adirondack e.g red spruce).
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Tough choice all are great guitars, but have individual characteristics and are completely different. I would buy the Martin HD 28v (without s) as I already have a mahogany Gibson and the love the lushness of the HD 28v over the AJ. If I did not own already own a Gibson I would buy the J45 TV because I prefer mahogany as well as it is short scale and has an adi top. They are really nice if you like the the slope sound. I was shopping for a Martin HD 28v when I bought my Hummingbird Artist which I have no regrets. If I was to buy a rosewood dread it would be a HD 28v without a doubt and hope to do so soon..

Wish I had to make such a hard decision!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion