The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Default String Manufacturers

I've been curious about this for a while. I was told there are not very many actual manufacturers of guitar strings and that most are made in a few facilities. I've tried googling and such to find out more about it, but with no luck.

This doesn't really affect any purchasing decisions and don't really view it as that important, but I've had my curiosity tweaked. Anybody have any links or other scoop?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I have heard this too and found the same amount of information on the subject as you -- zero. I can understand why this information is not easy to find. And as you've said, it's not going to change my purchasing decisions or what I like to use.

Tplank, I see you are relatively new to the forum -- WELCOME!

Regards, Glenn
Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Default thanks for the welcome

I have lurked here a bunch ... lot of good information. I love to listen in on what real musicians have to say about my obsession.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplank View Post
I have lurked here a bunch ... lot of good information. I love to listen in on what real musicians have to say about my obsession.
Good! Hang around -- lot of nice and knowledgeable people here!

- Glenn
Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM

D'Addario is based in Farmindale, NY, Martin makes their strings in Mexico, GHS makes their own in Michigan, and, believe it not, Black Diamond strings are made right here in my hometown of Sarasota, Florida. I believe that John Pearse strings are also independently made.

Dave
Old 10-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Curt Mangan Strings are made in their own factory or shop as well. I have a feeling there are probably more different factories/shops then we realize.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-08-2009, 02:28 PM

I'd bet the farm, the animals, and all the cats and dogs, that there is no such thing as a boutique manufacturer of strings. I have a long manufacturing background, and I can tell you with utmost certainty that the plant required to actually "make" the string, would cost a major fortune, probably upwards of a hundred million dollar range.
You're talking a full blown foundry that can deal with various types of alloy, and this would not be any kind of small facility.

Much like Craftsman with it's tools, these companies do nothing more than shop out the wire specifications to the manufacturer, and probably get spools in the thousands of feet that they cut to length and wrap/package in their small facilities.
But that's a long long ways from being an actual manufacturer.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowles@comcas View Post
D'Addario is based in Farmindale, NY, Martin makes their strings in Mexico, GHS makes their own in Michigan, and, believe it not, Black Diamond strings are made right here in my hometown of Sarasota, Florida. I believe that John Pearse strings are also independently made.
Yes, they are, in Pennsylvania.

Adding to the list of makers, Ernie Ball makes its own and many other brands besides in California, Everly makes its namesake strings as well as Cleartones, LaBella makes its own strings, and Gibson has a string production facility in Wheaton, Illinois.

As for European brands, Thomastik and Newtone both make their own. In the case of Newtones, it's one guy, named Newton, doing all the work.

whm
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yes, they are, in Pennsylvania.

Adding to the list of makers, Ernie Ball makes its own and many other brands besides in California, Everly makes its namesake strings as well as Cleartones, LaBella makes its own strings, and Gibson has a string production facility in Wheaton, Illinois.

As for European brands, Thomastik and Newtone both make their own. In the case of Newtones, it's one guy, named Newton, doing all the work.

whm

Wade, read the post above yours. There's not a chance in the world that these small companies actually manufacture the string wire.
At the extreme end, you might have a facility that has a small coating line that hey can feed a spool of wire through, to get a "special" finish on the wire.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's one or two enormous plants in China that make the majority of actual wire now.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
Wade, read the post above yours. There's not a chance in the world that these small companies actually manufacture the string wire.
So that would be interesting to know as well and I wondered as much...if the manufactures buy wire from some common sources. That makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:54 PM

While I don't believe that the small "manufacturers" actually draw their own wire - I'm certain they purchase wire made to the specs they need - I do believe that at least some wind their own strings. For example, Newtone (whose strings I adore) seems to wind their own strings, using various round core and winding sizes to achieve the desired traits.

I'm not sure that its reasonable to expect a string manufacturer to actually draw their own wire, honestly. Should guitar builders grow, harvest, and dry their own trees?

Sure, some of the small brands are probably just repackaged Ernie Ball or D'Addario strings (both great brands), and the plain strings are probably all but identical; but some of the manufacturers do produce their own strings.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Hi folks...
Everly strings are wound in California in a small factory setting...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-08-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:

I suspect Wade knows as much about *string* manufacturing as you do. I know that John Pearce developed new string lines in his home, and did the manufacturing, as Wade said, in Pennsylvania. I know that Wade was personally acquainted with John, and he has been a John Pearce endorser for many years.

-Raf
Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
I suspect Wade knows as much about *string* manufacturing as you do. I know that John Pearce developed new string lines in his home, and did the manufacturing, as Wade said, in Pennsylvania. I know that Wade was personally acquainted with John, and he has been a John Pearce endorser for many years.

-Raf

Winding wire into guitar strings is not manufacturing. It's assembly.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Winding wire into guitar strings is not manufacturing. It's assembly.
You can pick all the nits you'd like.

NO "string manufacturer" is actually manufacturing the metal wire (core or wrap-wire) that goes into the making of their strings.

They also don't mine and smelt the materials, either.

If you would like to insist on them being "string-assemblers" rather than string manufacturers, then this is your prerogative.

P.S. Automobile manufacturers don't "make" everything that goes into the "assembly" of a car...many of the products are out-sourced...so where does this leave your thinking...Ford is an auto-assembler?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion