PDA

View Full Version : Fishman Solo Amp???

carl3469
04-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I was thinking of getting the fishman solo amp and wanted to hear from guys who own it. Right now I play electric acoustic with a country band and use a Hartke AC150 which is 150 watts and so for it's loud enough. I was wondering if the fishman could be used in a band situation as my acoustic amp. For me it a weight issue if it works in a band situation I would buy it.

MikeTX
04-03-2009, 11:31 PM
HECKuva question Carl!

SoloAmp is great for... performing solo! and probably duo, probably acoustic trios.

If your band is very loud, I'm not so sure. It is an excellent sound for acoustic guitar. Competing against loud drums, loud lead guitar, big bass, etc might be a problem. But, if you're using it for guitar ONLY, just might be fine. So, if your vocal is through a regular PA, SoloAmp just might be a winner for you.

I would do this - buy one from a local Guitar Center, or somewhere you trust with a valid 30-day return policy - AT A TIME when you have gigs coming up WITHIN your time window - give it a shot, and take care that you don't scuff it up.

Best luck - Mike

open-road-matt
04-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Carl,
Mike is dead on. It will come down to volume, yours and the other people in the band. If you are using a PA system, you could run your guitar (and vocals if you want) into the SoloAmp and take lines (or the Main Mix DI) out to your PA system. You would be using your SoloAmp as an acoustic amp and as a monitor.

Then you don't have to worry about cranking the SoloAmp to compete with the other instruments. You'd just have to have it loud enough for you to hear yourself. It could be perfect in this capacity.

Matt

John Quinn
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
I have been using the Solo Amp now for 2 months and I am thrilled. I find it has enough volume for even mid-sized venues. I was even asked to turn it down at a place that I use to set up 2 JBL cabinets w/15" speakers and a Mackie 808S Head. You have to remember that this system does have a line out as well. If you are playing with a band and find that you are being drowned out you can run a line to your band's PA Head or Board as well. I also at times line it out to my Genz Benz acoustic amp for added bottom end.
What I am also thrilled about that on my solo gigs the Fishman Solo Amp is very portable and cuts my set up/tear down time in half.
I think you will be very surprised & happy. Good Luck.

KDS5
04-06-2009, 02:58 PM
John,
can you explain your 'line out' situation.

I bought a Fishman a couple of weeks ago and played out for the first time with it on Sat nite. Still attempting to get accustomed to the mids and lows and how much reverb and feeback settings and db settings.

I have an epiphone SC210 stereo chorus amp. How would I be able to use that in conjuction with the 'line out' you mentioned?

thanks

Keith

John Quinn
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Keith, on the back of the solo amp there is an XLR direct output (pre or post),
I use that and run straight into Channel 2 on my Genz Benz. I can then EQ that signal adding more bottom end to the overall sound when/if needed. I place the amp in front of the Solo Amp right on the floor. Now if your acoustic amp does not have XLR inputs on the front, you may be able to buy an adapter to change the XLR into a 1/4" jack to plug into your amp.
Good Luck.

carl3469
04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
I got one coming in the mail tomorrow I ordered from american musical couldn't find a guitar center that had one in a box all were setup. John that's a great idea with the amp and the line out the hartke has the xlr front input on channel 2 too will post results of my test drive in a few days.

KDS5
04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Keith, on the back of the solo amp there is an XLR direct output (pre or post),
I use that and run straight into Channel 2 on my Genz Benz. I can then EQ that signal adding more bottom end to the overall sound when/if needed. I place the amp in front of the Solo Amp right on the floor. Now if your acoustic amp does not have XLR inputs on the front, you may be able to buy an adapter to change the XLR into a 1/4" jack to plug into your amp.
Good Luck.

I need to test that line out to my Epiphone Sc210 amp. I am selling it right now but what if I could make use of it. Lets see.....the back of the SoloAmp has a line out which is I believe is female , then I have two input(s) 1/4 [one for high and one for low] on the acoustic amp, so I may need an adaptor if I cant find XLR in my cables, that has a male on one end and a 1/4 inch on the other.

So what if you wanted to go the other way. For example ; play a guitar through the acoustic amp [SC210] and have that come through the line in on the SoloAmp. That should work too??!!
Oh wait......I have to have an input on the acoustic amp to plug the guitar in. I have two on the acoustic amp, one [high] and one [low]. Umm......hate the low, like the high,....but one of them has to be used for the Soloamp so therefore where do I plug the guitar into the acoustic amp? Certainly do not want to use the other 1/4 input [low] ........ ummm.....well there is also a headphone output , maybe something can be done there.??!!

John Quinn
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
KDS5, I suppose you could do that but I wouldn't recomend it. You will not be using the Fishman Solo Amp, which is clearly the superior of both amps to it's greatest potential. The Fishman should be your main PA/Amp period. The D.I. line out on the back will be male, buy an adapter from female to 1/4" jack if you are to keep your Epiphone. But I believe your SC210 amp has two 10" speakers
which if you were going to line out to add more bass to your overall sound it may not be a good choice. If you think you really need more bass I would sell the Epiphone and get an acoustic amp with a 12" speaker or a small bass amp.
Once again, the Fishman Solo Amp may be good enough to not need extra amplification depending on your venue.

KDS5
04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
John,
you are correct the SC210 has two 10" speakers, and really for solo performing ; the SoloAmp is all one really needs.

thanks
Keith

carl3469
04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Ok I got it today played it for hours vocal and guitar sound great through it don't see needing more than just the Solo amp and it is easy to setup and take down. I also used the direct post XLR to different amps Hartke AC150 4x4+2 ribbon tweeters, Marshall MG Half Stack 4x12, and a Randall steelman 500 1x15 they all added more bass the Hartke adding the least. No need for anything else tweeking the guitar and EQ eliminates the need for another amp and if the venue was really large I would just plug into whatever out of the DI Post and just use the solo amp as a monitor it's amazing how close you can stand in front of it without feeding back great product.

John Quinn
04-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Another satisfied customer!!!! I think it is great as well. It use to take me 6 trips to the car to load everything in, now I'm down to 3 trips. No need for a monitor, 1/2 the price of the Bose system, 5 minute setup. Great sound quality. I am in heaven.

guitaniac
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Here's an interesting post from AG mag's Gear forum. Rob is a high level player who stumbled across the SoloAmp by accident.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029436

Gary

Aaron Smith
04-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know the true frequency response of the SoloAmp? Fishman doesn't seem to publish it and I can't find it anywhere. Practically, does it have good bass response?
I am on the fence between a SoloAmp and the new Loudbox 100 for many hundreds less. I probably don't need more than the Loudbox, but I'm not thrilled that the bass response only goes down to 80 Hz. I'm hoping for better from the SoloAmp.
Practically, does the SoloAmp put out enough bass? With program "intermission" music as well as live voice/guitar stuff?

guitaniac
04-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Aaron,

The SoloAmp has two 60Hz high pass filters and an 80Hz high pass filter, but the knees on those filters must be pretty soft. I can slacken my low E string down over an octave, to the spagetti-slack D at 36.71Hz, and still get a decent amplified response. I can also sing a low E (82.41Hz) into my Harmony-G pedal and clearly hear the suboctave voice at 41.2Hz.

How loud do you need the lows to be? I've been accused of sounding like Satan when using the Harmony-G's suboctave voice thru 18" house speakers.

Gary

Aaron Smith
04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I guess ideally I'd like it to sound like a respectable PA system at a reasonable volume for a soloist in a small/medium room. I know that comparing four 4" speakers to two 15" speakers is a bit absurd, but for $1k it better sound awfully good. You could put together a pretty nice PA system for $1k.
I guess practically if it could get to 40Hz with authority, it would probably have a nice rich sound. My experience building home audio speakers tells me that -4dB at 80Hz is not going to give too many people that "live music" experience.
Thanks for the feedback!

min7b5
04-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm thinking I may have to get one with a 30 day return deal. I haven't really heard from many who only use a mic on their guitar, but it appeals to me from a simplicity point of view...

John Quinn
04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
You will not be dissapointed with the Fishman Solo Amp. It does has planty of Bass and you will find that it gets deeper as it projects out. You will find out that where you position yourself in front of the speaker/poll will also change how you hear it. Move a little to the left or right and the bass response will be diffrerent. For $1,000 it is a great all in one PA for a solo acoustic player.
If you play in a band, line it out to the PA. If your solo and want more bass,
line out to another amp, Bass, acoustic, etc..... You will be amazed at how you can mix your sound. I have 3 solo acoustic gigs this weekend and can't wait to plug in and play.

NotBad
04-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Here's a review on the SoloAmp from Premier Guitar magazine:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Apr/Fishman_SoloAmp_Review.aspx

carl3469
04-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I gigged with it last night med venue plenty of power and sounded great used it with this baby.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/topper3469/BR1.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/topper3469/BR3.jpg