The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Default scale and chord theory, Blah, blah, blah, blah

I am having trouble remembering anything I learn about this. When I listen to my teacher talk about theory for more than three minutes it turns to blah, blah, blah. Is there an easy way to learn and remember this stuff? Then the application of it. I understand that keys have certain chords that "go together" within those chords they have notes of a certain scale, and then there are the modes arggghhhhhhhhh. hmmmmmmmm I'm lost.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Stringer View Post
I am having trouble remembering anything I learn about this. When I listen to my teacher talk about theory for more than three minutes it turns to blah, blah, blah. Is there an easy way to learn and remember this stuff? Then the application of it. I understand that keys have certain chords that "go together" within those chords they have notes of a certain scale, and then there are the modes arggghhhhhhhhh. hmmmmmmmm I'm lost.
Hi 12S...
If I didn't cook, all recipes would start to look alike I'm afraid.

Unless you are putting the theory you are learning to work, or at least doing exercises to make it stick to the brain, it will be difficult.

I had a student who needed such an assignment so I gave him the task of figuring out and memorizing them in the five easy guitar keys (C-A-G-E & D)

He brought me the following chart (he made one mistake in it which I wish he had corrected before sending me the chart). I bet you can find it.

Common Chord Progressions - click

The progressions are designed to be played one bar per chord and repeated till your wife or friends scream ''Can't you play anything else'' then you switch lines or progressions. Anyway, they tie scale degree to the corresponding chord in the key, and progressions derived from them.

You are welcome to download and practice it too...and it may help you to apply a bit-o-theory. It's like slice and bake cookies not tiramisu but it's good to know.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi 12S...
I had a student who needed such an assignment so I gave him the task of figuring out and memorizing them in the five easy guitar keys (C-A-G-E & D)

He brought me the following chart (he made one mistake in it which I wish he had corrected before sending me the chart). I bet you can find it.
Hi Larry,
Actually I noticed 3 mistakes, not 1!

E C#m F#m D is not I vi ii V - D should be B
D E Bm A is not I IV vi V - E should be G
D A Bm E is not I V vi IV - E should be G

Hope that helps!
Regards,

Aaron
Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trion12 View Post
...E C#m F#m D is not I vi ii V - D should be B
D E Bm A is not I IV vi V - E should be G
D A Bm E is not I V vi IV - E should be G
Hi Aaron..
Thanks...if he ever offers to touch it up, I'll point them out to him.

He's actually been playing quite well and this was the exercise that helped dislodge him from top-dead-center and being tied to his charts.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Here's the direct essentials as to notes in a chord and what chords go together:

(Of course it's a tadd bit more complex since you're still in the "confused" stage I kept it simple. You'll see the horizon widen as you go along)

Chord theory: Notes in a chord are I-III-V eg C, E,G

Music theory: Chords that go together: I-IV-V eg C, F, G

(the "V" chord is usually the 7th version of that chord so it's really G7 BUT, the song plays pretty much the same if you just sue the Major version)
Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Stringer View Post
Man o man do I know that feeling. I have the exact same problem and I haven't really been able to overcome it. I don't know much theory, I only know a couple scales by memory and whenever I try to learn something new it's like I have ADD or something.

What I finally did was gave up. I may not know all the theory behind what I do but I know what sounds good and I know what I like. I have found this site: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com to be most valuable to me. The site will show you any scale, any chord, and then it will link you to chords and scales that work within the framework of what you are doing. It helps break me out of the box without having to study theory. Plus each time I use it I learn something new and it sticks with me because I am applying it to something I am doing.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the replies and info, it should help, if anyone has other suggestions chime in.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Hank
Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 AM

That's a nice chart. I corrected the errors Aaron noted above and here it is as a JPG:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell