PDA

View Full Version : Dog eats lizard

Laurie359
06-30-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm not quite sure what to do about this and thought I'd run it by the forum. I've noticed there were periods of time when my dog will go for a day or two (rarely more) without eating. Turns out she's been eating lizards (the small gecko-sized ones) and whether her stomach's upset or she's full of lizard and just not hungry, I don't know.

My vet says it's not a good idea for the dog to eat these (well, yeah!) and the only way to prevent it is to keep her inside. We live in North Central Florida and there are a lot of lizards around here. Although the lizards around here aren't poisonous, they do have some kind of mild toxin on their skin, plus they carry certain parasites that can cause worms.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their pets and if so, how you dealt with it. I can keep her inside, but she loves being in the yard so I really hate to keep her in. Maybe the best I can do is try to reduce the number of lizards she eats by only letting her out for short periods.

Thanks.

DaveG
06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
My dog doesn't eat lizards, although he probably would if he had the chance, but he does snack on slugs. I have not found a way to stop him, so I will be interested if you get any good advice.

HHP
06-30-2008, 05:57 PM
My dog doesn't eat lizards, although he probably would if he had the chance, but he does snack on slugs. I have not found a way to stop him, so I will be interested if you get any good advice.

French poodle? Escargot anyone?

DaveG
06-30-2008, 07:32 PM
French poodle? Escargot anyone?

:D Actually he's an Australian Shephard.

A slug is just a snail that can't afford it's own house.

SongwriterFan
06-30-2008, 07:49 PM
My vet says it's not a good idea for the dog to eat these (well, yeah!)

Why not?

What the heck did they eat before we started feeding them? :D

The Dude
06-30-2008, 08:09 PM
My labs eat far worse things than lizards. Horse poop is a favorite, as is fertilizer. I have to keep a close eye on them when I let them out of our fenced in area, otherwise they think they're at an all you can eat buffet.

SongwriterFan
06-30-2008, 08:11 PM
You'd *think* that they'd learn NOT to eat that kinda stuff?

The Dude
06-30-2008, 08:14 PM
You'd *think* that they'd learn NOT to eat that kinda stuff?When there is something possbily edible around, there is not any thinking going on...

SongwriterFan
06-30-2008, 08:16 PM
When there is something possbily edible around, there is not any thinking going on...

Sounds like they need to "evolve" a little more, then. Or improve their memory. :D

Funny thing is, they seem to remember OTHER things just fine.

The Dude
06-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Sounds like they need to "evolve" a little more, then. Or improve their memory. :D

Funny thing is, they seem to remember OTHER things just fine.
Their memory is quite good - they know exactly where to find their "treats." The problem is that they do not discriminate at all when it comes to eating something. They just eat as much as they can and they do it as fast as they can. They act like real animals. :lol:

Joe Peel
06-30-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't think eating Lizards is going to hurt the dog. Remember, dogs maybe domesticated but they are basically hunters. My dog loves to catch birds.

My dog was eating poop for awhile, but I asked the Vet about it and he said it was because she was missing some kind of nutriate. He told me to buy some basic medication from a pet store. It worked, I can't remember what it was, but it is well known. Her breath is much better, and I have saved a lot of money in bread (she liked to make sandwiches) :}

Laurie359
07-01-2008, 05:46 AM
I guess eating lizards isn't the worst thing she could be eating! She loves to chase the things, but I didn't realize she was also eating them until a couple of weeks ago. I was watching her chase one, it disappeared, and since I couldn't see where it could have gone, except........... so I pried open her little jaws and there the lizard was. It was looking at me, very much alive, then it jumped out and ran away. Saved for the moment.

SnoSkiDrew
07-01-2008, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. My dog used to eat toads on occasion after storms, and she was fine. Obviously, make sure the dog has plenty of food and water, and be sure to give her heartworm medicine.

Sordello
07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
I wonder what the dogs are saying about us on their Forums!?!????

SongwriterFan
07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Bark . . bark . . bark . . bark bark bark bark :D

The Dude
07-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I wonder what the dogs are saying about us on their Forums!?!????
I can read my dogs' mind quite easily.

Our yellow lab, when there is food around says: "Are you going to eat that? Are you going to eat that? Are you going to eat that? Are you going to eat that? Are you going to eat that? Are you going to eat that?" continually until it's gone.

Our black lab, if there is a ball nearby, says: "Throw the ball! Throw the ball! Throw the ball! Throw the ball! Throw the ball! Throw the ball! Throw the ball!"

Beyond that, I don't think there is much "thinking" going on. :)

dberch
07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
My vet says it's not a good idea for the dog to eat these
Did he also suggest that you bring the dog in whenever he does?

Perhaps he likes lizard better than what you are feeding him. :)

Also, from the few Aussie Sheps I've known, I've come to the conclusion that they are a bit closer to their wild ancesters than, say, a Lab. I'd let him hunt lizards. Then perhaps he'll leaved your neighbors' pets alone!

David

Comfort Player
07-01-2008, 12:32 PM
My labs eat far worse things than lizards. Horse poop is a favorite, as is fertilizer. I have to keep a close eye on them when I let them out of our fenced in area, otherwise they think they're at an all you can eat buffet.

I have a lab also. His favorite is not lizards, not horse poop, but let's just say he likes to enjoy his dinner twice...YUK

Does or can your vet offer any assistance on how to get her to stop eating the lizards ?

The Dude
07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
I have a lab also. His favorite is not lizards, not horse poop, but let's just say he likes to enjoy his dinner twice...YUK

Does or can your vet offer any assistance on how to get her to stop eating the lizards ?
Oh yeah, mine will do that too. In fact, they love to clean up after the cat if necessary.

Mine aren't the ones eating lizards, except of course if they stumble across a dead one. Nothing better than a little jerky. We have lots and lots of lizards in our yard and the dogs don't pay any attention to them, but our cat loves to catch them. Fortunately, the lizards now stay off our back porch. They're kind of neat but they also give me the creeps. Sometimes they get in the house and it's like having a dinosaur on the loose. In our outer yard, we have lots of rabbits and I have always been surprised that the dogs usually ignore them. I guess they figure why chase a rabbit and not catch when there might be something more "interesting" nearby... ha ha.

Laurie359
07-01-2008, 12:56 PM
My vet's advice was to leave the dog in the house--not very practical. The lizards hang out by the flower pots I have on the patio--so if I get rid of the pots, maybe the lizards will hang out somewhere else -- out of the dog's reach.

I enjoy watching the lizards and I adore my dog--too bad she considers them a moveable feast. True meaning of lizard breath............!

The Dude
07-01-2008, 01:03 PM
My vet's advice was to leave the dog in the house--not very practical. The lizards hang out by the flower pots I have on the patio--so if I get rid of the pots, maybe the lizards will hang out somewhere else -- out of the dog's reach.

I enjoy watching the lizards and I adore my dog--too bad she considers them a moveable feast. True meaning of lizard breath............!
I don't know if a cat works for you, but ours has scared off most of the lizards.

DaveG
07-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah, mine will do that too. In fact, they love to clean up after the cat if necessary.

Ah yes, recycled cat food :D.

SteveS
07-01-2008, 02:24 PM
For me, this is one of those life is too short things. I wouldn't worry about it. If the dog wants to eat lizards, let him eat lizards.
That is a lot different than a dog that jumps up on guests or relieves himself in the house.

Lizards are smart. They'll start talking to their friends. Word will get out. They'll avoid your yard. :)

TaylorGirl
07-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Most people don't know it, but before guitars and dogs I was a herpetologist (no that is NOT the study of herpes!)... I had a collection of well over 300 different reptiles and amphibians (Yes, in my house, yes, they were alive and no, they never escaped)..

While there ARE some very toxic lizards out there - the common house Gecko is not going to harm your dog one bit. The parasites that lizard is carrying in it's body are not anything worse than what your dog might acquire from eating say - grass or dirt.

As far as stopping your dog from eating them - I don't have the slightest idea. You could try disciplining her/him when you see them go after one of those tasty little scaled delicacies. A good strong "NO" and quick removal of the lizard, or putting the dog in a crate or in the house when it begins the hunt might, over time condition the dog not to eat/chase them.

Sharon

Stixx
07-02-2008, 12:06 PM
my daughter's lab ate some socks and got sick . The vet had to surgicly remove them . Vet bill was around a grand and a year later the dog did it again. I chide my daughter sayin,'' that would be one dead dog " but folks today worship their dogs and spend whatever it takes to get them cared for.

When a Dog got sick back in my day, you gave it water and hoped for the best. "If he dies , he dies" was the order of the day and if you did eventually go to the Vet, (maybe it was a really good dog) the bill was nothing compared with today. Now you walk in the first thing they ask is what insurance do you have. Geeeeeeeez folks , it's a dog. Some cultures eat them for crying out loud.